Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • No! The Reds would never risk losing games to boost a few thousand ticket sales.

26 38.81%
  • Yes. Word came from up top he is not to play. And Dusty ain't happy about it.

4 5.97%
  • Eh, he is in fact sore, but they ain't rushing to put him back in the lineup (wink.)

35 52.24%
  • Griffey himself want to hit it at home.

2 2.99%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

I know it's all conjecture, but general soreness, is well, generally lame.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Griffey being held out to hit 600 at home?

I doubt it, JR doesn't seem the type to do such shenanigans.
    Go Gators!

I think he's probably been in need of a break for a while now, but the Reds didn't want to sit him at home given his proximity to 600. It's not so much that they're benching him now to avoid hitting #600 on the road but that he pushed himself a bit to try and get it at home and is now paying the price.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I chose Choice #1, but I think there is some element of truth to #3 (without the winks).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Lame eh?

The man is made out of tissue paper and spit and he still can't sit out a few games in his late 30's without questions.

Cracks me up.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lame eh?

The man is made out of tissue paper and spit and he still can't sit out a few games in his late 30's without questions.

Cracks me up.
    What do you want with a report like "general soreness." I expect a player in his late 30's to be generally sore every game of the year an need rest on occasion. Why THESE games in a bandbox like Philly? Of course questions will come up...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

I would normally be inclined to say yes, but in this case, no. Griffey hit 500 in STL and has openly said that he doesn't care where he hits it. I take him at face value on that.

I think Jr is legitimately sore. Of course, they aren't being specific. Maybe his legs are a bit sore and they just want to rest him for awhile.

Dusty did make a comment saying that they hoped by resting him a day or two, it might prevent having to sit Jr for 12 days down the road. Seems to me to be a minor injury and they are playing it cautious. I don't think Dusty would lie about an injury. If Jr was 100%, I doubt Dusty doesn't play him for the sake of some milestone at home.

Considering how little the Reds have hyped #600, I doubt there is a sinister motive.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Senor Votto

I'm not sure I would guess that the first option is probably the best option.

Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Sore? What is that? If I came in and told my high school coach a couple years ago that I couldn't play because I was sore he would laugh at me and tell me to go home... Why is it different for Major league ballplayers? I hear my dad talk about it all the time, Pete Rose or Joe Morgan would've never sat out because of something like this, you think Cal Ripken Jr was ever sore?

Don't get me wrong, I love Griffey, he is one of my all-time favorite players. However, I do feel there is something else deterring him from not playing (600) and that is a different argument to itself....
    He's a 38 year old professional player, and asset and you are using your high school career as a comp?

Ok.

Pete Rose and Cal Ripken are anomalies, using them as a barometer for normalcy is a false reality to further your argument.

Joe Morgan played 21 seasons and topped 150 game exactly 4 times (only once after age 29) for a grand total of 19% of his career, Junior has done that 6 times in his career.

IF, and thats a huge ol' IF, but IF he's been held out at all it might be so he can hit it in Florida in front of his family and such.

I personally think he's nicked up though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's a 38 year old professional player, and asset and you are using your high school career as a comp?

Ok.

Pete Rose and Cal Ripken are anomalies, using them as a barometer for normalcy is a false reality to further your argument.

Joe Morgan played 21 seasons and topped 150 game exactly 4 times (only once after age 29) for a grand total of 19% of his career, Junior has done that 6 times in his career.
    I agree with everything you just said.... I am simply saying if he is being held out for being hurt, fine... being sore, that's crap... for hitting 600 somewhere else, that is ridiculous!

I am talking about the fact that he is diagnosed with "soreness". I don't have a clue as to what that means, maybe sitting at one game, but 3??? I don't buy it...

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post

And I doubt Griffey pops greenies like Rose, or Morgan, and possibly Ripken did.

It's amazing what chemicals can do to keep you in the lineup.

Considering the fact he was pinch run for by Bronson Arroyo, I'm going to go ahead and believe he is really sore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?