Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's time to go on record, ya'll...

It's time to go on record, ya'll...

With a little more than 24 hours left until the MLB Draft opens at 2pm tomorrow, we need to go on record with our picks for the Reds at #7. I'm going to divide it up into 4 categories:

1.) I'm getting/drinking a 12 pack of 'Nati Light to celebrate (Your top guy)...
    2.) I'll light a cigar in celebration (good pick)...
    3.) Yawn, whatever (Eh, it's okay)...
    4.) WTF! :thumbdown (hate it)...

Mine are as follows:

1.) Brian Matusz-He'll be in the MLB rotation quickly and will be a good #4 behind Volquez, Cueto and Harang
    2.) Gordan Beckham-SS of the future, likely a quick mover
    3.) Yonder Alonso-Not that I don't like his bat but it likely means that Dunn is a goner
    4.) Casey Kelly-Sorry, his bat isn't good enough.

Let's have some fun with this

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: It's time to go on record, ya'll...

Brian Matusz is the guy I'm dreaming of getting but is probably wishful thinking. Gordon Beckham is who I think they'll pick with Yonder Alonso being the fall back guy.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

How about we add a #5 of who we think they will pick

1.Brian Matusz-BPA as well as a definite need, I don't see where you can go wrong

2.Gordon Beckham-same as Matusz, but I will always want pitchers more than position player

3.Aaron Crow- only reason here because of injury concerns, but really like him especially because of his proximity to the majors.

4.Casey Kelly/Brett Lawrie- I like them both, Lawrie much much more, but neither are close to the top tier talent we are in position to get

5. I'm really torn over who I think they reall pick, I have actually backspaced about 5 times in this section, between Yonder Alonso and Gordon Beckham, but I think Beckham's performance with the wood bat in the Cape Cod League will net him the pick. Start at Sarasota, Chatt. and Louisville next year, maybe an 09 Sept. callup or in the mix in '10.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

1.) T. Beckham, Alavarez, Posey, Matusz (Matusz the most realistic to fall to us at #7)
    2.) Smoak, Crow, Alonso, G. Beckham, Hosmer
    3.) Skipworth, Lawrie
    4.) Anyone other than the 11 mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    With a little more than 24 hours left until the MLB Draft opens at 2pm tomorrow, we need to go on record with our picks for the Reds at #7. I'm going to divide it up into 4 categories:

1.) I'm getting/drinking a 12 pack of Coke to celebrate (Your top guy)...
    2.) I'll throw a pizza in the oven in celebration (good pick)...
    3.) Yawn, whatever (Eh, it's okay)...
    4.) WTF! :thumbdown (hate it)...
    Assuming T Beckham, Alvarez, Posey and Matusz are off the board I would love to see the Reds go with the highest rated of these guys left(my own little draft board):

1. G Beckham
    1a. J Smoak
    2. Y Alonso
    2a. A Crow (and pray every night for his arm to stay attatched)
    2b. B Lawrie
    3. K Skipworth
    3a. Z Collier
    3b. E Hosmer
    3c. S Hunt
    4. Anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Assuming T Beckham, Alvarez, Posey and Matusz are off the board I would love to see the Reds go with the highest rated of these guys left(my own little draft board):

1. G Beckham
    1a. J Smoak
    2. Y Alonso
    2a. A Crow (and pray every night for his arm to stay attatched)
    2b. B Lawrie
    3. K Skipworth
    3a. Z Collier
    3b. E Hosmer
    3c. S Hunt
    4. Anyone else.
    The idea of taking a 1b with the 7th pick in the draft scares me. I don't know if Alonso projects to anywhere else outside of 1b but if I were to use a high pick on a 1b he would have to be he best hitter in the draft by a long shot. If you draft a SS or OF you atleast have more options to get him on the field. With a 1b unless he has the ability to play a corner OF spot, in the NL, you are left with only one position to play him in.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The idea of taking a 1b with the 7th pick in the draft scares me. I don't know if Alonso projects to anywhere else outside of 1b but if I were to use a high pick on a 1b he would have to be he best hitter in the draft by a long shot. If you draft a SS or OF you atleast have more options to get him on the field. With a 1b unless he has the ability to play a corner OF spot, in the NL, you are left with only one position to play him in.
    Historically college 3B and college 1B succeed in the majors more than any other position by far. Generally it is a very safe pick to take someone like that early in the draft, but safe doesn't mean no upside.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I feel the same way. I'd much rather use the pick on a skill position player because there are more fall back options. If a player doesn't work out at SS, you can try them at 2B, 3B or the OF. Similarly if a player doesn't work out at 3B you can move them to OF or 1B. The only option for a failed 1B is the DH, which obviously isn't an option.

I'm OK with the Reds drafting Alonso or Smoak if the Beckhams, Alvarez, Matsuz and Posey are off the board, my only objection would be if they passed over one of those skill position players to draft a 1B.

My ideal pick: Gordon Beckham.

1) Matusz
    2) Beckham
    3) Gordon
    4) Kelly
    5) Lawrie (though I don't know much about him, everyone says he's ok, so sure why not).
    6) Crow

Third round I hope we get Chris Carpenter or Dominic de la Osa.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    1) Matusz
    2) Beckham
    3) Gordon
    4) Kelly
    5) Lawrie (though I don't know much about him, everyone says he's ok, so sure why not).
    6) Crow

Third round I hope we get Chris Carpenter or Dominic de la Osa.
    Please tell me you aren't wanting Casey Kelly...

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Please tell me you aren't wanting Casey Kelly...
    Why not? He's athletic, fast, and can field his position. I keep hearing people say scouts don't think he can hit, but no one is saying why. Till someone explains that to me, I'm going to say Casey Kelly is a solid (not spectacular) pick.
    Last edited by AdamDunn; 06-04-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Speed
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

I'd rather have Kelly as a pitcher than SS.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Why not? He's athletic, fast, and can field his position. I keep hearing people say scouts don't think he can hit, but no one is saying why. Till someone explains that to me, I'm going to say Casey Kelly is a solid (not spectacular) pick.
    Solid. Exactly. If we had the 20th pick in the draft, then yes. But this year has a crop of top tier talent of about 9-10 guys-Beckham, Beckham, Posey, Matusz, Crow, Smoak, Alonso, Hosmer, Alvarez, and you could make a case for Skipworth.Drafting #7 overall, you have to draft a great bat or fantastic arm, not a great fielding SS with a questionable bat.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

1. Matusz
    2. Crow
    3. Gordon Beckham
    4. Smoak
    5. Lawrie
    6. Alonso

Bonus pick at number 84:
    1. Aaron Shafer SP
    2. Lance Lynn SP
    3. Tyler Ladendorf SS
    4. Aaron Weatherford RP
    5. Scott Bittle RP

I doubt any of these guys drop to number 84, but you never really know.

Surest pick likely available to us will be, I think, Gordon Beckham. I don't think we can take the risk of getting nothing if there's an injury to Crow. Our organization's better and deeper than it has been but not deep enough to blow a first round pick (and it's largely better because we've had four in a row that range from tremendous to promising). So I want Gordon Beckham, though just from looking at the youtube videos, I think Hosmer is the best bat in the draft.

Turn Off Ads?