Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It's time to go on record, ya'll...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: It's time to go on record, ya'll...

I would love getting Sheppers with our second round pick, but I bet they won't "take a chance" like that. But good teams take those chances and a second-round pick is not all that much of a risk for a guy who was projected to be a top 15 pick just a month ago (before the injury). Although, two of the Reds' best players were second-round picks in Dunn and Votto (and probably others, but those are two off the top of my head... I think Phillips was actually a second-round pick by the Expos as well).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I would love getting Sheppers with our second round pick, but I bet they won't "take a chance" like that. But good teams take those chances and a second-round pick is not all that much of a risk for a guy who was projected to be a top 15 pick just a month ago (before the injury). Although, two of the Reds' best players were second-round picks in Dunn and Votto (and probably others, but those are two off the top of my head... I think Phillips was actually a second-round pick by the Expos as well).
    Except Scheppers goes to the Brewers with the Reds second round pick. I think he goes in the third round.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Except Scheppers goes to the Brewers with the Reds second round pick. I think he goes in the third round.
    I meant the real second round, not the supplemental first round.

For the record, I think MLB needs to start calling the supplemental first round the second round. It really is the second round and it makes everything confusing.

It's also dumb that we lose our No. 2 pick just because we signed a free agent. Isn't there a waiver or something like that for a small market team? ha. But honestly, a team like the Reds should not get punished for signing a player like Cordero IMO. The last thing MLB wants to do is make smaller market teams shy away from signing free agents.

I request the Reds draft another Jay Bruce or Ed Volquez. See to it, everyone.

I don't think it would be a big deal to leave Matusz on the board at #7. His fastball isn't good enough to make me think that it would be something to lament.

In the second round, I've heard a lot about this kid Juan Duran who is said to have ridiculous power potential at only 16 years of age.

The Reds have had Navy RHP Mitch Harris in for a work out, and he could go as early as the third round. Here's an article on the kid: http://www.washtimes.com/news/2008/may/30/anchors-away/

Sounds like he'll work something out with the Navy. A bit of a shoulder problem sidelined him at the start of the season, but he pitched well when he did. His sophomore and junior seasons were phenomenal.

Chris Dominguez is who I want in the fourth. He could be a real steal.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Jockety's making this pick.

I think he'll go for the guy that has the biggest powerbat of whoever's left.
    Got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I meant the real second round, not the supplemental first round.

For the record, I think MLB needs to start calling the supplemental first round the second round. It really is the second round and it makes everything confusing.

It's also dumb that we lose our No. 2 pick just because we signed a free agent. Isn't there a waiver or something like that for a small market team? ha. But honestly, a team like the Reds should not get punished for signing a player like Cordero IMO. The last thing MLB wants to do is make smaller market teams shy away from signing free agents.
    I don't understand. We don't get a real 2nd round pick. We pick in the first, have no pick in the Supp. first, no pick in the second, and 1 pick in the real third.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Got it right.
    Your post was the first thing I thought of when I saw the pick.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I don't understand. We don't get a real 2nd round pick. We pick in the first, have no pick in the Supp. first, no pick in the second, and 1 pick in the real third.
    I messed up, my bad.

We gave up our second round pick when we signed Francisco Cordero, I believe.

Beckham would have been great, too. I was at Beckham's games that MLB used to scout him (if you go to mlb.com in the draft section and click on the "enhanced scouting report" link ( http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...afttracker.jsp ) of the player, it lists which games the scout was at when the evaluation was made.) P Josh Fields was very impressive, too, whom the Mariners took with their 1st Round selection. In fact, the whole Georgia team was very impressive as they reminded me of a Flintstone cartoon where Fred had to play football for his school and the opponents were all behemoths. That's what the Bulldogs looked like as compared to Oregon State, but among Georgia's Giants, there was this little guy named Beckham that slammed two homeruns. They were both no-doubters, and against a Freshman pitcher of the Beavers, Greg Peavy from Battle Ground, WA (home of Richie Sexson) that has potential for future 2nd-Team All-American status in two years.

SS Beckham would have been great, and perhaps a better pick as he would be able to play any of the outfield positions, but most likely would become the REDS starting 2nd Baseman after Brandon Phillips prices himself off of the team following the 2010 season.

Instead, Alonso has no place to play but 1B, and Votto will have to become the REDS Left Fielder in 2010 as Alonso should make his debut in September of 2009 with the REDS.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-06-2008 at 12:43 AM.

SS Beckham would have been great, and perhaps a better pick as he would be able to play any of the outfield positions, but most likely would become the REDS starting 2nd Baseman after Brandon Phillips prices himself off of the team following the 2010 season.

Instead, Alonso has no place to play but 1B, and Votto will have to become the REDS Left Fielder in 2010 as Alonso should make his debut in September of 2009 with the REDS.
    This part of your post made me realize that I have no idea what this team will look like in two years. I can't even hazard a guess, especially considering Castellini's statement about wanting to "win now". If they intend for Alonso to play for the Reds, that means Votto or Dunn is gone (probably Dunn). This will cause a huge downgrade in LF at least temporarily. However, for next season it means the Reds need to find new players for five positions in the regular lineup. FIVE! (C, 3B, SS, LF, CF.) That would seem to be damn near impossible to accomplish. Sometimes I can't figure out if things are getting better or worse.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

This part of your post made me realize that I have no idea what this team will look like in two years. I can't even hazard a guess, especially considering Castellini's statement about wanting to "win now". If they intend for Alonso to play for the Reds, that means Votto or Dunn is gone (probably Dunn). This will cause a huge downgrade in LF at least temporarily. However, for next season it means the Reds need to find new players for five positions in the regular lineup. FIVE! (C, 3B, SS, LF, CF.) That would seem to be damn near impossible to accomplish. Sometimes I can't figure out if things are getting better or worse.

Gonzalez is the SS through 2009, with Valaika being able to take over in 2010.

EE should be the SS through 2011.

CF is a question mark the next several years.

Votto should be the LF in 2010 and on, but who knows who will be in 2009....Keppinger?

Alonso should be the 1B from 2010 and on.

Phillips will cost over $12M per year from 2011 and on, so I don't know if the REDS will pay that much. There are potential for others to play 2nd Base that are in the Minors.

Turner won't be ready until 2011, but he's also a LF, right?

Help here, please....

Gonzalez is the SS through 2009, with Valaika being able to take over in 2010.

EE should be the SS through 2011.

CF is a question mark the next several years.

Votto should be the LF in 2010 and on, but who knows who will be in 2009....Keppinger?

Alonso should be the 1B from 2010 and on.

Phillips will cost over $12M per year from 2011 and on, so I don't know if the REDS will pay that much. There are potential for others to play 2nd Base that are in the Minors.

Turner won't be ready until 2011, but he's also a LF, right?

Help here, please....
    Valaika is more of a second baseman than a shortstop, but he could play there as long as his bat comes as advertised. I expect him to be Jeff Keppinger with more power and strikeouts. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the shortstop duties being split between Keppinger, Valaika, and Janish.

I see EE as more of a third baseman than a shortstop. (Please tell me you made a typo.)

Votto can play left field, but that doesn't mean he should, even if Alonso is on the team. Then again, Dunn is the current left fielder, so how bad could it be?

Justin Turner has played only second base from what I've seen, but he's put up very similar stats to Chris Valaika, and he might be the guy the Reds turn to if BP isn't around. The Reds will need to cut salary in 2011, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips go if the Reds have a surplus at second base.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Valaika is more of a second baseman than a shortstop, but he could play there as long as his bat comes as advertised. I expect him to be Jeff Keppinger with more power and strikeouts. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the shortstop duties being split between Keppinger, Valaika, and Janish.

I see EE as more of a third baseman than a shortstop. (Please tell me you made a typo.)

Votto can play left field, but that doesn't mean he should, even if Alonso is on the team. Then again, Dunn is the current left fielder, so how bad could it be?

Justin Turner has played only second base from what I've seen, but he's put up very similar stats to Chris Valaika, and he might be the guy the Reds turn to if BP isn't around. The Reds will need to cut salary in 2011, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Phillips go if the Reds have a surplus at second base.

Yes, that was a typo on EE as SS.

Turn Off Ads?