Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's time to go on record, ya'll...

Re: It's time to go on record, ya'll...

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yet here's the question. Choose between these two hitters:

Player A - .397/.505/.781
    Player B - .370/.536/.767

It would seem to me both are big power, very good plate discipline players. Yet one plays SS (and just got listed as being the 3rd best collegiate athlete in the draft) and the other plays 1B.
    Take the athlete (the SS).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    With a little more than 24 hours left until the MLB Draft opens at 2pm tomorrow, we need to go on record with our picks for the Reds at #7. I'm going to divide it up into 4 categories:

1.) I'm getting/drinking a 12 pack of 'Nati Light to celebrate (Your top guy)...
    2.) I'll light a cigar in celebration (good pick)...
    3.) Yawn, whatever (Eh, it's okay)...
    4.) WTF! :thumbdown (hate it)...

Mine are as follows:

1.) Brian Matusz-He'll be in the MLB rotation quickly and will be a good #4 behind Volquez, Cueto and Harang
    2.) Gordan Beckham-SS of the future, likely a quick mover
    3.) Yonder Alonso-Not that I don't like his bat but it likely means that Dunn is a goner
    4.) Casey Kelly-Sorry, his bat isn't good enough.

Let's have some fun with this
    I like the way you have set this up Ben so I'll play along. I also like how BRL did it so I'll follow his lead as there are multiple people at each of these spots.

(In order of preference from L-R)
    Nati Light - Tim Beckham, Brian Matusz, Gordon Beckham
    Cigar - Alvarez, Posey, Smoak
    Eh, it's ok (But not my pref)-Alonso, Hosmer, Crow, Skipworth, Hunt, Lawrie
    WTF - Anyone Else
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Nati Light doesn't sound like much of a celebration. More like a punishment.

I don't think Matusz, T Beckham, or Posey will be there at #7.

So it will come down to Crow, G Beckham, and Alonso with Crow being the pick.
    I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    I don't think Matusz, T Beckham, or Posey will be there at #7.

So it will come down to Crow, G Beckham, and Alonso with Crow being the pick.
    I wouldn't be disappointed with any of those.
    I liked Crow more until I looked further into his mechanics. This kid just doesn't have one bad mechanical issue but 2 which doubles his chances of elbow/shoulder issues. The dreader inverted W and a wrist hook at the beginning of his delivery.

His stats are not all that impressive either 3+ era, nearly 3 BB's per 9 and less than 7 K's per nine. The era and BB's aren't too bothersome until you couple them with a lack of K's. If I am going to take a kid in the top 10 he better be dominating college hitters for the most part. I just don't know that he's worth the risk.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I liked Crow more until I looked further into his mechanics. This kid just doesn't have one bad mechanical issue but 2 which doubles his chances of elbow/shoulder issues. The dreader inverted W and a wrist hook at the beginning of his delivery.

His stats are not all that impressive either 3+ era, nearly 3 BB's per 9 and less than 7 K's per nine. The era and BB's aren't too bothersome until you couple them with a lack of K's. If I am going to take a kid in the top 10 he better be dominating college hitters for the most part. I just don't know that he's worth the risk.
    Can someone describe the wrist hook problem for me?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Can someone describe the wrist hook problem for me?
    http://www.saberscouting.com/2008/03...wmechanalysis/

Go check out that link. It breaks down the wrist issue fairly well. Frankie and Kiley do good work, but they don't seem so concerned with the elbow thing like others are. I on the other hand am concerned by it.

1- Matusz, G Beckham
    2- Lawrie, Alonso, Smoak
    3- Crow
    4- Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    What scares me about Beckham is what if he's just having a flukey year (Brandon Larson)? He's pretty much come out of nowhere this year.
    I'd worry about that more if Beckham hadn't also gone off like a madman in the Cape League last summer (with a wood bat).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

Crow has 127 K's in 107.1 IP and his ERA is 2.35.

http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-ba.../teamcume.html

I'd jump for joy with a pick of Smoak. Best power bat, second-best BA bat, and plate discipline. A plus glove at first, too. And, best of all, a switch hitter.

I'm warming up to Lawrie, as I think his bat has a chance to be special. It's his glove that's questionable. (He's Frazier three years younger and at catcher.)

Gordon Bekham wouldn't be a bad pick, but I get shivers when I think of SEC SS's drafted in the first round by Cincinnati.

Both Crow and Matsutz are defensible picks, but neither is a sure-fire star either. Shrug.

I'd do cartwheels if Posey were available, too. Love me some top-end catchers. Hardest thing to find in all of baseball. Except, apparently, in Texas.

As for the third round, I hope and pray Lenny Dykstra's boy is still available. The Tack would be awesome to root for.

I don't have much of a preference on the top pick this year any of the top ranked talent would be fine. I don't want a reach. Not a fan of Crow.

One Question: What kind of injury did Tanner Scheppers actually suffer? Is his career in jeopardy, or is he a third round draft pick type of guy?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I don't have much of a preference on the top pick this year any of the top ranked talent would be fine. I don't want a reach. Not a fan of Crow.

One Question: What kind of injury did Tanner Scheppers actually suffer? Is his career in jeopardy, or is he a third round draft pick type of guy?
    Scheppers had a stress fracture near his shoulder. Some speculation it could be something more serious that they are trying to hide to keep him from losing out big time.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

1. Matusz

2. Crow

3. Beckham

4. Smoak (would be higher but we already have our 1B of the future with Votto... do we really want to burn the No. 7 overall pick on another 1B? We're obviously not an AL team that can play both of them using the DH)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Scheppers had a stress fracture near his shoulder. Some speculation it could be something more serious that they are trying to hide to keep him from losing out big time.
    I have read some stuff on him that doesn't seem so bad, but then I see things that are writing him off. Who do you believe?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?