Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball America article on Juan Francisco

Baseball America article on Juan Francisco

Baseball America wrote an article today on Reds third base prospect Juan Francisco. The article is premium info so I can't post it but I'll try to summarize it the best I can.

Basically the article talks about his huge power and strong throwing arm. They mention he led the Midwest League in homeruns last season with 25 and was second in total bases with 247. Francisco's lopsided K/BB ratio is mentioned and he said he takes that seriously. He says he wants to improve upon that. He says he's aggressive but he needs to learn to control the strikezone better. They mention him going 3-for-3 with three doubles on Opening night against Francisco Liriano. I know there has been some confusion on here before about Francisco being a switch-hitter but this article sets the record straight - he's strictly a left handed hitter. Juan is now 6-foot-2 and weighs in at 235 pounds. He signed for 60,000 dollars. He grew up admiring Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz. Terry Reynolds confirms that Francisco needs to improve his plate discipline and says that is something they are working with him on. Francisco will remain in Sarasota all season but is setting himself up nicely to begin next season in Chattanooga. Juan has made progress at every stop. His two main tools are raw power and his strong arm. Sarasota manager Joe Ayrault says he has great power to all fields and puts on a show in BP. He really blossomed as a player last season in Dayton. Terry Reynolds likes Francisco at third base and says he'll stay there for now, but that could change because they have other highly thought of players at that position. Francisco is a big guy but is in good playing shape. The Sarasota assistant GM compares Francisco to a left handed hitting Vladimir Guerrero. Sarasota manager likens him to a LH Alfonso Soriano. Says he doesn't speak English but his Latin teammates love him.

Pretty good article.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 06-04-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Baseball America article on Juan Francisco

"Sarasota manager Joe Ayrault has great power to all fields and puts on a show in BP."

Wow, that's impressive for a minor league manager. :O)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Thanks for the summary.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    "Sarasota manager Joe Ayrault has great power to all fields and puts on a show in BP."

Wow, that's impressive for a minor league manager. :O)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Thanks for the summary.
    Doh!
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Would he move off of 3B for athleticism reasons? Could he play RF? You'd hate to waste that arm at 1B.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

It happens to the breast of us OBM. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Would he move off of 3B for athleticism reasons? Could he play RF? You'd hate to waste that arm at 1B.
    I know that in the past I have heard rumors of him outgrowing 3B and moving to a corner OF position because of his arm being so strong. If he weren't athletic I doubt I would have been hearing rumors like that.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

That interesting Doug. Plenty of big guys have had success at 3B. Scott Rolen, Troy Glaus, and Cal Ripken Jr come to mind.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Dunn, Bruce, Francisco/Stubbs/Frazier would be a great outfield.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Turn Off Ads?