Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jonathan Mayo says it's fairly certain Reds will draft Gordon Beckham

Jonathan Mayo says it's fairly certain Reds will draft Gordon Beckham

It appears fairly certain the Reds will be taking University of Georgia shortstop with the No. 7 overall pick. They've long been associated with a variety of college players, mostly bats (Yonder Alonso) and also RHP Aaron Crow, but it's looking like the middle-infielder who's had a monster season for the super-regional bound Bulldogs (.397, 24 HR, 65 RBI, 1.286 OPS, 17 SB) will be joining the Reds organization tomorrow.

http://draft.mlblogs.com/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jonathan Mayo says it's fairly certain Reds will draft Gordon Beckham

If so, this is great news. Reds fans are used to having great shortstops who can both field and hit and Beckham is a guy I think can keep that tradition going. He's already proven he can hit with a wooden bat and he destroyed the ball in a tough conference this season. This is a guy I think projects to be a .300+ hitter with good plate discipline and 20-25 homerun power and the perfect number two hitter ahead of Jay Bruce. Getting him will really solidify the Reds infield for the next 5-10 years with Votto at first, Phillips at 2nd, Beckham at SS, and either EdE or Todd Frazier at third base.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Sweet.

Gordon Beckham will be a beast in Cincy, and he's got defense at a position we need too. He'd be a great, great pick.

Cincinnati's next 30-30 player.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

While it sounds nice and all the guy still has to make it to us

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Cincinnati's next 30-30 player.
    Beckham is 17-for-18 in stolen base attempts this season. He's just an all-around good player.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    While it sounds nice and all the guy still has to make it to us
    Good point. I don't think I'm gonna have much for fingernails come tomorrow afternoon...

Yeah, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Beckham could go to the O's or FLA. Shrug..

I have stuck with the Gordon Beckham to Cincy with pick #7 in my pickem 7 thread.. if Matusz falls though, might make them change their minds. who knows. But I like the pick if he's there.

I would normally worry about the transition to wood, but he dominated the cape cod league already with wood, 9 jacks in that time. the power i think is defenitely legit.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Beckham or Matusz please.
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

From BP:

7. Cincinnati Reds

The Reds are lining up to throw the first real curveball of the first round. They have been heavily scouting the top group of college sluggers, as well as Gordon Beckham, while also dreaming of a scenario that would drop either Matusz or Crow to them. However, a surprising new name has entered the mix—the Reds were in hard on Canadian prepster Brett Lawrie after he went off with eight home runs in eight games against professionals in the Dominican, and they came back with reports encouraging enough to prompt a quickly-scheduled private workout on Tuesday afternoon. As one scouting director put it, “If there’s anyone who can improve his stock with a private workout, it’s Lawrie.” Assuming all went as expected, the surprises start at lucky number seven. If they decide to play it safe, Alonso is currently at the top of their board.
    Selection: Brett Lawrie, INF, Brookswood SS (BC)
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    That's from earlier today. This new info from Mayo is from late tonight.

Chris Buckley says the Reds are down to Brian Matusz, Buster Posey, Gordon Beckham, or Yonder Alonso.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Who the Reds take is up to the guys before them, but there preferences are certainly out there and one of the real options is not listed by OBM from what I am hearing from a very reliable source.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Who the Reds take is up to the guys before them, but there preferences are certainly out there and one of the real options is not listed by OBM from what I am hearing from a very reliable source.
    Really, how interesting. It's gotta be Lawrie and I am ok with it assuming the alternatives are not the Beckhams, Matusz & Posey (unless of course Posey is indeed asking for 12 mill).
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I take it you don't want to tell us who it is. Would you be happy if the Reds took this mystery player?

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    I take it you don't want to tell us who it is. Would you be happy if the Reds took this mystery player?
    Not that I don't want to, just not sure if I can without getting someone in trouble. I don't think the Reds will end up taking him because of the other options that do look like they should be there, but it seems he is higher for us than some guys we have been linked to recently.

Turn Off Ads?