Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buster Posey to drop?

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Buster Posey to drop?

BP's Kevin Goldstein is saying Posey's camp is floating a $12 million figure, possibly to maneuver himself to a richer team than Tampa. In any event, if that's anywhere close to the truth, Tampa will take Tim Beckham and who knows if anyone else choosing before the Reds will call Posey's bluff.

So let's say Posey's still sitting there at #7 and he's not budging off his figure. What's your call as the Reds' virtual draft boss? Actually, let's try a few scenarios:

1) Cast will pony up whatever Posey wants, over and beyond the current budget. (Is Posey worth it?)

2) Cast will pony up if you want, but he's not kicking in more money; it will have to come out of other player acquisition money buckets. (Is Posey the best use of those funds?)

3) You don't have the ability to stroke the check Posey wants. (Do you gamble you can sign him for less? Are you willing to possibly risk your job by blowing the #7 on a guy you can't sign?)
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Posey to drop?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    BP's Kevin Goldstein is saying Posey's camp is floating a $12 million figure, possibly to maneuver himself to a richer team than Tampa. In any event, if that's anywhere close to the truth, Tampa will take Tim Beckham and who knows if anyone else choosing before the Reds will call Posey's bluff.

So let's say Posey's still sitting there at #7 and he's not budging off his figure. What's your call as the Reds' virtual draft boss? Actually, let's try a few scenarios:

1) Cast will pony up whatever Posey wants, over and beyond the current budget. (Is Posey worth it?)

2) Cast will pony up if you want, but he's not kicking in more money; it will have to come out of other player acquisition money buckets. (Is Posey the best use of those funds?)

3) You don't have the ability to stroke the check Posey wants. (Do you gamble you can sign him for less? Are you willing to possibly risk your job by blowing the #7 on a guy you can't sign?)
    It depends on who else is available at that point. I can't imagine a scenario where there wouldn't be a good alternative pick.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Well I have read that Buckley said that Bob and Walt have told him that all players are game. So that might mean they would pony up

I'm not that in love with Posey... it's hard not to be intrigued by a definite catcher, but his bat just doesn't excite me much. The overall package is okay, but he screams average to me in most areas, when I see more star talent available.

I personally would rather have Crow, Gordon Beckham, Matusz even before considering money.

I want to know why there is no talk about Smoak. I feel he is the best bat out of all of the top college bats with the highest ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    I want to know why there is no talk about Smoak. I feel he is the best bat out of all of the top college bats with the highest ceiling
    I think people like him, he is stapled to firstbase though. The Reds have several corner infielders in the system looking for a position. It also depends on what the long term plan is with Votto and Dunn. We aren't privy to that thought process right now. We may be soon.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I saw in the paper this morning that we have one spot on the 40 man roster open. I just counted them and we only have 39 on the roster. I missed where we freed up a spot. I was surprised when I saw that because I hadn't noticed when we opened up the slot. I thought every new player coming to the 40 man (Andy Phillips, Bruce, Herrara) had a corresponding move (Gonzo to 60 day, for example). Were Shearn or Lehr or Brower on the 40 man?

Anyone, the story mentioned that this allows the club to offer a ML contract if necessary to sign a drafted player. Of course, I'm skittish of that type of move. I can't help but recall Bowden giving ML contracts to David Espinoza and Dane Sardinha - ouch!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Anyone, the story mentioned that this allows the club to offer a ML contract if necessary to sign a drafted player. Of course, I'm skittish of that type of move. I can't help but recall Bowden giving ML contracts to David Espinoza and Dane Sardinha - ouch!

I doubt they opened up a spot just before the draft becuase they might give a draft pick a major league contract.

They would only have to open up the spot once that player was signed. Plenty of time to do it at the time of the signing.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Posey is intriguing.

He had a pretty impressive year. I'm not sure if anyone has ever dominated offensively like this kid and he did it at a school like Florida State, which obviously plays tough competition. He led all of college baseball in BA, SLG, OBP, OPS, TB, RBI, H, and 4th in HR.

And he's a pretty decent catcher too.

http://www.boydsworld.com/data/leaderboard.html

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I doubt they opened up a spot just before the draft becuase they might give a draft pick a major league contract.

They would only have to open up the spot once that player was signed. Plenty of time to do it at the time of the signing.
    Here's what Fay wrote, although I don't see a move listed on the Transactions page.

The Reds cleared a spot on their 40-man roster Wednesday, so if they offer the top pick a big-league contract, they have a place to put him.

The ability to sign players greatly affects the draft.

"We've been talking to agents, seeing where guys stand," Buckley said
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Bookstore

What's anybody's guess about how soon Posey might be able to catch in Cinti? Is he an upgrade over Mesoraco? What happens to Mesoraco if we take Posey?

What Fay wrote doesn't really make sense unless they already have a pre-draft agreement with a player that includes a major league contract and KNOW he is falling to them. And even under that scenerio, why the rush?

if Posey drops, take him

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    What Fay wrote doesn't really make sense unless they already have a pre-draft agreement with a player that includes a major league contract and KNOW he is falling to them. And even under that scenerio, why the rush?
    You may well be right, and I hesitated to use Fay as a credible source. I basically figured it was pertinant info to the conversation. That said, it's more like a move you'd make before the Rule 5 draft. I don't think giving ML contracts to players from the amateur draft is very common. And, I'm tentative about it myself.

The Baseball Bookstore

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What's anybody's guess about how soon Posey might be able to catch in Cinti? Is he an upgrade over Mesoraco? What happens to Mesoraco if we take Posey?
    Keep him down there and keep improving him. Posey and Mesoraco would be a big upgrade over Ross/Bako/Valetine behind the plate.

Turn Off Ads?