Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why all the hate for Homer?

Why all the hate for Homer?

Did I miss something? Sure, he may be a bit immature, but why does everyone here want him to fail so badly?

The Reds are the ones who have screwed up his mechanics. They are trying to make him something he is not. That is why his fastball velocity is down.

Could he handle things off the field in a better manner? Yes, but I believe he will learn from his mistakes. He's still young and dealing with adversity for the first time in his baseball life. Cut him some slack.

If Homer is a bust, it will hurt the Reds for years. You can't keep having 1st rounders bust and have a successful franchise. I believe Reds fans need to get behind this kid and pull for him.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Why all the hate for Homer?

The problem for Mr. Bailey is that he is the first top-rate pitching prospect we have developed from within for quite some time (Cueto is now #2 but people were never watching him the way they watched Homer) and they expected him to put up a 1.50 era when he was called up last year and it didn't happen. Baseball fans - Reds fans in particular - do not want to believe that their top prospects are actually human and may take some time to develop.

The bottom line is that Homer is still very young and very talented. There is a legit chance he gets knocked around a bit today but hey, he's facing the Phils on the road. They're the most imposing offense in the NL and Homer's debuting against them..tough draw.

I think in 2 years he'll be a top flight starter and all this nonsense will be forgotten.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

I think it has to do with the "attitude problem" that many feel he has. He needs to be a little more humble and realize he is young and still has much to learn. His numbers back up the fact that he has room to improve but yet he has said openly that he doesn't think he is learning anything from pitching at Louisville.

He is young and talented but he will only develop into a good pitcher at the major league level if he learns to pitch and to not just try and throw the ball past everyone.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Cocky works in sports. It's not like you have to deal with him on a daily basis or anything. He's a young guy with a chip on his shoulder.

And he doesn't have anything left to learn by pitching in AAA.

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I do think the hate has a lot to do with the attitude issue. Homer seems to have rubbed a lot of people--media and general public--the wrong way. Seeing him at Cooper Stadium last week; dude did give the "I'm better than you vibe" before and after games....

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    I do think the hate has a lot to do with the attitude issue. Homer seems to have rubbed a lot of people--media and general public--the wrong way. Seeing him at Cooper Stadium last week; dude did give the "I'm better than you vibe" before and after games....
    He is better than you.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I think in 2 years he'll be a top flight starter and all this nonsense will be forgotten.
    I agree with you. While every roster move is critical, the sound from the shirt ripping of Reds fans makes it sound as if we're bringing Josh Fogg, Eric Milton and Kyle Lohse to pitch three consecutive innings.

It hasn't been even a year since Homer was called up (debuted June 8th last year) and already, some are saying he's worse than most of the no names we had after the '03 fire sale.

Homer will be worth the wait, peops.

Quote Originally Posted by levydl View Post
    Cocky works in sports. It's not like you have to deal with him on a daily basis or anything. He's a young guy with a chip on his shoulder.

And he doesn't have anything left to learn by pitching in AAA.
    Let's see. Of all the starters at Louisville (not counting Belisle's one start), Homer has the highest WHIP. His e.r.a. is above 4.00 which is not exactly major league inspiring at triple A. In the month of May, Homer has given up 23 runs in 30 innings pitched. He has given up 22 walks and struckout 23.

Yeah, he has nothing left to learn at triple A.

Nice to see the Reds rewarding a guy who doesn't deserve it.

And who does deserve it?

Maloney? He just got killed his last start after pitching poorly in his first several. And he has strikingly similar numbers to Bailey anyway.

Thompson? He's been in AAA for 2 starts. Deserve it?

Who? We have to have a 5th starter. Fogg (when he's healthy)? Belisle? Whom do you want?

By the way, how'd Homer look today?
    Last edited by levydl; 06-05-2008 at 04:57 PM.

He lost. End of story. Cole Hamels showed what real pitching is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    David pitched good today so why the hate? His defense let him down big time and the offense was lacking in a major way. I have a question about this team are they good enough to just give away games like today by playing like they are running late for their flight?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

You're a joke. He pitched well today. Did Homer bang your daughter and not call her again or something?

Since when do Wins measure how good someone is? Harang SUCKS
    Cincinnati Reds
    VOTTO

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by keeganbrick View Post
    Since when do Wins measure how good someone is? Harang SUCKS
    Well, that Paul Daugherty clown said something of the sort a couple of weeks ago, although he didn't mention Harang specifically.

Yeah I figured this would be your angle. Get a clue.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Turn Off Ads?