Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 MLB Draft Cincinnati Reds Selections

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2008 MLB Draft Cincinnati Reds Selections

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    ... I don't get this. If he fields like David Ortiz, but hits like David Ortiz... he's the same as David Ortiz, and Ortiz has plenty of value, though it would be significantly diminished in the National League. There are 14 teams in the other league who Alonso could do a fine job for if this occurs.
    If he hits like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz then the Reds better hope they can get a David Ortiz return for him in a trade over to the AL -- call me crazy, but I'm never excited when maximizing a player's potential value involves the Reds doing more scouting to try and pry talent away from other teams they could've just drafted themselves in the first place.

If he doesn't hit like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz, they're in real trouble.

Worth noting -- David Ortiz was a full time DH by age 24.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    And, of course, the huge worry that has to be present is that -- as he fills out -- he plays defense like David Ortiz.

At that point, it won't matter who he hits like.
    Alonso isn't really a big guy. I'd be really shocked if he got so big he couldn't play 1b decent enough. Hell, do you remember Sean Casey? If the Mayor can play in the field than anyone can, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If he hits like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz then the Reds better hope they can get a David Ortiz return for him in a trade -- call me crazy, but I'm never excited when maximizing a player's potential value involves the Reds doing more scouting to try and pry talent away from other teams they could've just drafted themselves in the first place.

If he doesn't hit like David Ortiz and fields like David Ortiz, they're in real trouble.
    I love teams that draft sticks like Alonso and trade for MI talent. Let the other teams do the long, hard work with the tough projections. Deal for them later.

This is why I'm not a subscriber to the BPA theory. It makes sense for some of the time, but sometimes you also have to look at the bigger picture.

If Alonso turns out to be a solid 1st baseman, he replaces one that is already in house. Unless Dunn is definitely gone and they are 100% sure of Votto moving to the OF because they don't believe in his game at first, then I'm not in agreement here.

It would make more sense to me if it was Hosmer. Huge potential, but years away. You should expect a top 10 college bat to be knocking on the Reds' door in the short term.

I would have rather had Crow or Beckham or even Smoak, since he is a switch hitter and gets rave reviews with the mitt.

Best case scenario for the future: a 3-4-5 of L-L-L? Maybe the team just doesn't want a righty bat.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I love teams that draft sticks like Alonso and trade for MI talent. Let the other teams do the long, hard work with the tough projections. Deal for them later.
    You'll have to excuse me, I'm still getting used to this notion that the Reds are winning trades.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This is why I'm not a subscriber to the BPA theory. It makes sense for some of the time, but sometimes you also have to look at the bigger picture.

If Alonso turns out to be a solid 1st baseman, he replaces one that is already in house. Unless Dunn is definitely gone and they are 100% sure of Votto moving to the OF because they don't believe in his game at first, then I'm not in agreement here.

It would make more sense to me if it was Hosmer. Huge potential, but years away. You should expect a top 10 college bat to be knocking on the Reds' door in the short term.

I would have rather had Crow or Beckham or even Smoak, since he is a switch hitter and gets rave reviews with the mitt.

Best case scenario for the future: a 3-4-5 of L-L-L? Maybe the team just doesn't want a righty bat.
    Yeah and we have to deal one of our RH hitters (EE or Frazier) or Votto. Not ideal for sure.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Uh oh Alonso...RedsZone is gonna eat you alive.

Alonso's self scouting report reflects some of the same: "I hit for power. My game right now relies on driving guys in, playing good defense, not striking out. I'm a competitor. I want to win. I don't care if I go 0-for-5 if that sixth at-bat is clutch."

Frazier and Mez say hi.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Frazier and Mez say hi.
    Where does Frazier play?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Frazier and Mez say hi.
    Do you expect Frazier and "Mez" to hit btw 3-4-5 in a scenario where Alonso works out as expected? I think that their ceilings won't deserve a middle of the order spot when you have Bruce/Alonso/Votto.

Do you expect Frazier and "Mez" to hit btw 3-4-5 in a scenario where Alonso works out as expected? I think that their ceilings won't deserve a middle of the order spot when you have Bruce/Alonso/Votto.
    I think Frazier is a solid #2 or #5 as a ceiling. He's got pole to pole power and a great hitting approach. I think he's got a chance to hit in the middle of a Reds lineup. I definitely think his offensive ceiling is higher than Edwin or Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I think Frazier is a solid #2 or #5 as a ceiling. He's got pole to pole power and a great hitting approach. I think he's got a chance to hit in the middle of a Reds lineup. I definitely think his offensive ceiling is higher than Edwin or Phillips.
    So then you would advocate dealing EE to make room for him? Otherwise he has no where to play with Alonso at 1st and Votto in left.

--Woody Hayes

I have no problem going L-L-L, but I was just pointing out that there are a couple RH bats in the system to look forward to, plus EE and Phillips. My future lineup, FWIW...

Keppinger SS
    Votto LF
    Bruce RF
    Phillips 2B
    Alonso 1B
    Frazier 3B
    Mesoraco C
    Stubbs CF

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind batting the pitcher 8th with Stubbs' walking ability for the top of the lineup. Frazier and Mez are more RBI guys than on base guys, IMO.
    Last edited by 11larkin11; 06-05-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

The more I think about the Yonder pick, the more I like it. Watch this video and tell me that you still think he has a David Ortiz body type
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKLrzcRz_Qo

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So then you would advocate dealing EE to make room for him? Otherwise he has no where to play with Alonso at 1st and Votto in left.
    Absolutely in a heartbeat. And I'd deal BP to get Valaika on 2nd when the time comes too.

Turn Off Ads?