Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2008 MLB Draft Cincinnati Reds Selections

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: 2008 MLB Draft Cincinnati Reds Selections

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The more I think about the Yonder pick, the more I like it. Watch this video and tell me that you still think he has a David Ortiz body type.
    What I learned from this video:

1. The girl interviewing him is hot.

2. He should've burned the tape of him dancing ballet immediately after it was made.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Absolutely in a heartbeat. And I'd deal BP to get Valaika on 2nd when the time comes too.
    Wow really, well IDK if I agree. But I can't say you're wrong for feeling that way at least the EE pick. Valaika though IMO will never be BP good.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I like the Alonso pick. He's got a bat that is going to move through the system very quickly. Worry about trading from strength when the time comes (e.g. Hamilton for Volquez).

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Absolutely in a heartbeat. And I'd deal BP to get Valaika on 2nd when the time comes too.
    I don't know about that. Valaika is a good prospect but he doesn't profile as a great all around player like Phillips.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't know about that. Valaika is a good prospect but he doesn't profile as a great all around player like Phillips.
    No argument whatever that BP is better - but Valaika will be more than decent as a replacement when BP's next contract comes around. Just my opinion but I don't see BP as one of the must keepers of the future. Unfortunately building a team does require some budgetary decisions unless you're the Red Sox or Yankees -and the gap betwen BP's dollars next contract and Valika's output for a lot less just won't justify the money imo. The nice thing is the Reds should get a decent read on Valaika's ability before they have to cross tha particular bridge.
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 06-05-2008 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    The more I think about the Yonder pick, the more I like it. Watch this video and tell me that you still think he has a David Ortiz body type
    I liked him before the video and I like him more now

Alonso and Miami play tomorrow night on ESPN...I think it is like 6:00 or 7...

Clayton Shunick throws tomorrow during the day for N.C. St...I think 1:00...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyredfan40 View Post
    Alonso and Miami play tomorrow night on ESPN...I think it is like 6:00 or 7...

Clayton Shunick throws tomorrow during the day for N.C. St...I think 1:00...
    NC State on TV?
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

delete
    Last edited by somethingtony; 06-06-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    NC State on TV?
    ESPN may be regionalizing the coverage. I will have the State game here. I should see a few innings before I have to go back to work. It's at 1pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I love teams that draft sticks like Alonso and trade for MI talent. Let the other teams do the long, hard work with the tough projections. Deal for them later.
    That's not a bad philosophy. Even better yet, get your shortstops in San Pedro de Macoris or Caracas.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

As for Zach Stewart in the third round, at first I was thrilled about it because he was ranked so high by BA (No. 48, we got him at No. 84). However, he only played one season of Division I college baseball (two years of JUCO) and his numbers were not very good at all. I know he is a power arm, but his stats his lone season at Texas Tech scare me.

I love the pitcher from N.C. State we got in the fifth round. His numbers are off the charts good.

I also like the SS Buchholz from Delaware in the sixth round. Not sure about the high school pitcher in the fourth round Cline. Looks like he can also play some 3B and is a decent hitter. But he will be a pitcher for the Reds and has a 92-94 fastball. Might have been a reach that high though.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-06-2008 at 01:57 AM.

I'll be interested in seeing what Tyler Cline does once he suits up for GCL.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    As for Zach Stewart in the third round, at first I was thrilled about it because he was ranked so high by BA (No. 48, we got him at No. 84). However, he only played one season of Division I college baseball (two years of JUCO) and his numbers were not very good at all. I know he is a power arm, but his stats his lone season at Texas Tech scare me.
    His stats were fine until Texas Tech moved him into the rotation late in the season and he got rocked which caused his ERA to skyrocket. Plus ERA's in college baseball can be very deceiving with everyone swinging a metal bat and playing in some bandbox ballparks. The Reds drafted him for his stuff. He's got a 92-96 mph fastball with great sink and a plus slider. This was a very good pick IMO.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Trent has a couple videos of Chris Buckley talking about the Reds picks:

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?