Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy on Homer Bailey

Hal McCoy on Homer Bailey

Is it the new, improved Homer?

By Hal McCoy | Thursday, June 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
    What do you think?

Absolutely loved what I saw from Homer Bailey — on the mound and in the clubhouse.

OK, so he still had his cowboy buckle and his cowboy boots (but I didn’t see the Bowie knife), but if he can pitch the way he did Thursday and handle the post-game media the way he did Monday, he can wear the Emperor’s clothes.

Heck, only Marty Brennaman gets on Jeff “Cowboy” Brantley for the color combinations he wears in suits, shirts and ties.

Bailey pitched good, man, very good. Had he not run up against a solid Cole Hamels (no runs, three hits in a 5-0 shutout), he might have won. Had he not had three unearned runs posted to his name on errors by shortstop Paul Janish, Ken Griffey Jr. and one himself, he might have won.

He gave up only four hits and two earned runs over 6 1/3 innings against a solid offensive team in a ballpark built for two - two homers a day, whether they need them or not.

Afterward, he faced the media and provided great insight and great quotes. After the way I’ve been hard and harsh on him since spring training, I approached with trepidation but he twice looked me in the eye and answered the questions.

And with a smile. Good for him. Let’s hope he stays this way, stays strong on the mound, stays strong in the clubhouse and becomes another important piece to the starting rotation.

Think about it: Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo (The Good Bronson, not the Charles Bronson) and Bailey.

Things could look up considereably.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hal McCoy on Homer Bailey

I was impressed with Homer. Could be that the 5th starter is in the house now. The offense and defense continue to befuddle me, though, but Homer's start was a great omen, hopefully. Nice to see that McCoy managed to write something positive about Bailey, too.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Afterward, he faced the media and provided great insight and great quotes.
    Fresh from Hal McCoy's scouting bible........ Homer is now the answer because, well, he answered some questions.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Put me in the camp that is not impressed by any start in which the pitcher walks four times as many guys as he strikes out. The errors hurt, but Homer was extremely reliant on his defense and that tends to catch up to you eventually. Luckily, his MO in the minors has been a low hit rate and a low HR rate, so hopefully he can maintain those. It's just that it's a recipe for the occasional disaster start.

I'm extremely cautiously optimistic... but not going to be swayed by the fact that he answered questions in his post-game presser.

(BTW, did Homer kill RZ for a bit there?)
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-05-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

We are aware that Homer Bailey was going against the best lineup in the NL and held them in check, aren't we?

I have no problem with how he pitched...a good foundation to build on

Manager Dusty Baker was excited by what he saw from Bailey.

"It was a pretty good outing in that he threw strikes and his pitch-count was down (89 pitches, 52 strikes in 6 1/3 innings)," said Baker. "He located his fastball, but didn't have his breaking ball. He should only have given up two runs and he kept us in the game. We hurt ourselves."

Bailey was removed in the seventh after back-to-back walks.

"Tough breaks and the opposing pitcher did an outstanding job and it is tough losing games like that," said Bailey. "I made one bad pitch that probably hasn't landed yet (sixth-inning home run to Geoff Jenkins). Guess I ran out of gas in the seventh when I ended up walking those two guys."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...predsweb2.html

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Put me in the camp that is not impressed by any start in which the pitcher walks four times as many guys as he strikes out. The errors hurt, but Homer was extremely reliant on his defense and that tends to catch up to you eventually. Luckily, his MO in the minors has been a low hit rate and a low HR rate, so hopefully he can maintain those. It's just that it's a recipe for the occasional disaster start.

I'm extremely cautiously optimistic... but not going to be swayed by the fact that he answered questions in his post-game presser.

(BTW, did Homer kill RZ for a bit there?)
    3 BB's and 2 K's? He did a pretty good job if he eventually can move those K's up and he has the ability to do so. Relying on your defense shouldn't be a negative if you have a defense behind you and you can get K's when you need them. He didn't to day but it's a bit of a polar opposite of what he was before.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    3 BB's and 2 K's? He did a pretty good job if he eventually can move those K's up and he has the ability to do so. Relying on your defense shouldn't be a negative if you have a defense behind you and you can get K's when you need them. He didn't to day but it's a bit of a polar opposite of what he was before.
    I have him at 4 BB and 1 K.

His K rate in AAA was less than stellar both last year and this year. I'm not convinced that he can get one when he needs it. And FWIW, he doesn't have much of a defense behind him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

His K rate in AAA was less than stellar both last year and this year. I'm not convinced that he can get one when he needs it. And FWIW, he doesn't have much of a defense behind him.
    I saw that as well in his totals but when you peruse the Phillies lineup 2 struck out Ruiz & Hamels and 3 BB. That said I see where your coming from on the K's, I just don't know why and if that continues. I agree with the defense behind him being below avg. & not on par with the opponent today.

The point I was getting at though was if he wasn't attempting to K these guys and was just trying to make good pitches and letting the game come to him then that is a bit of an improvement over his previous philosophy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    The point I was getting at though was if he wasn't attempting to K these guys and was just trying to make good pitches and letting the game come to him then that is a bit of an improvement over his previous philosophy.
    I haven't watched the game yet but the boxscore & pitch f/x suggests he kinda of like pitched-to-contact while walking a lot of people.... For what it's worth, the pitch f/x data suggests he didn't top 88 mph today.

It's kind of surreal to contemplate that from an arm tagged as on of the best pitching prospect in baseball.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I haven't watched the game yet but the boxscore & pitch f/x suggests he kinda of like pitched-to-contact while walking a lot of people.... For what it's worth, the pitch f/x data suggests he didn't top 88 mph today.

It's kind of surreal to contemplate that from an arm tagged as on of the best pitching prospect in baseball.
    That's basically the thoughts I had from watching the game. Lots of pitches over the middle of the plate.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post

You missed the debate. The pitch fx camera was not working correctly today apparently. The TV camera's had Bailey working 91-94 most of the day with his fastball. According to the gameday stuff there were only like 4 pitches over 86 MPH from either starter in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You missed the debate. The pitch fx camera was not working correctly today apparently. The TV camera's had Bailey working 91-94 most of the day with his fastball. According to the gameday stuff there were only like 4 pitches over 86 MPH from either starter in the game.
    That's good news.

What was with Bruce in LF? JR is an awful RF.....he can't cover a postage stamp. If you are going to sit Dunn and Bruce isn't going to play CF, then JR should be the one moved to LF. Bruce should always be iether in CF or RF.

Baker is beginning to make me long for the days of Trader Jack.

so what are the other alternatives for that #5 spot right now? That's the main question.

He was facing one of the more potent offenses in MLB, in a hitter's park, and the NL East division leader to boot.

It was his first start against ML level hitting since when?

Let the kid continue to pitch and see what he does.

Trying to evaluate or project how a kid is going to perform after one start is pretty ludicrous IMO.

I'm more concerned about this erratic offense that can't seem to give our pitchers any run support. One run would have beaten us today.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?