Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hal on Homer, 06/05

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Hal on Homer, 06/05

I can hardly believe this came from Hal's pen:

Is it the new, improved Homer?

By Hal McCoy | Thursday, June 5, 2008, 04:58 PM
    What do you think?

Absolutely loved what I saw from Homer Bailey — on the mound and in the clubhouse.

OK, so he still had his cowboy buckle and his cowboy boots (but I didn’t see the Bowie knife), but if he can pitch the way he did Thursday and handle the post-game media the way he did Monday, he can wear the Emperor’s clothes.

Heck, only Marty Brennaman gets on Jeff “Cowboy” Brantley for the color combinations he wears in suits, shirts and ties.

Bailey pitched good, man, very good. Had he not run up against a solid Cole Hamels (no runs, three hits in a 5-0 shutout), he might have won. Had he not had three unearned runs posted to his name on errors by shortstop Paul Janish, Ken Griffey Jr. and one himself, he might have won.

He gave up only four hits and two earned runs over 6 1/3 innings against a solid offensive team in a ballpark built for two - two homers a day, whether they need them or not.

Afterward, he faced the media and provided great insight and great quotes. After the way I’ve been hard and harsh on him since spring training, I approached with trepidation but he twice looked me in the eye and answered the questions.

And with a smile. Good for him. Let’s hope he stays this way, stays strong on the mound, stays strong in the clubhouse and becomes another important piece to the starting rotation.

Think about it: Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo (The Good Bronson, not the Charles Bronson) and Bailey.

Things could look up considereably.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Hal on Homer, 06/05

Think about it: Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo (The Good Bronson, not the Charles Bronson) and Bailey.

yep yep yep
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Stroke the ego.
    Stroke the ego.
    Stroke the ego.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I don't care if Hal "likes" Reds players personally and I wish he would keep that crap out of his articles.

If I was Bailey and Hal wasn't a blind old man I would have confronted him for his recent articles that had nothing to do with baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by pjhogan View Post
    I don't care if Hal "likes" Reds players personally and I wish he would keep that crap out of his articles.

If I was Bailey and Hal wasn't a blind old man I would have confronted him for his recent articles that had nothing to do with baseball.
    Bingo.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

All my fatherly love toward Homer has helped him grow up.

Who cares if he likes the media or carries a Bowie knife?? If he can pitch at the big league level effectively and gets along and listens to his coaches I could give a rat's posterior if he gives the media the brush off every night. The guy is paid to pitch and sell baseball tickets..........not some reporter's newspapers.

Good job today Homer........whether you talked to the dolts in the media or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post
    Who cares if he likes the media or carries a Bowie knife?? If he can pitch at the big league level effectively and gets along and listens to his coaches I could give a rat's posterior if he gives the media the brush off every night. The guy is paid to pitch and sell baseball tickets..........not some reporter's newspapers.

Good job today Homer........whether you talked to the dolts in the media or not.
    the media runs everything - you want them on your side....

Quote Originally Posted by Aces Wild View Post

Why does he seem like some guy out of the old ABA? Who carries a knife to a baseball game?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I liked him better when Hal didn't like him. Someone tell McCoy he's not the story.

The Hall of Fame has the most exacting standards for players, and then lets in any media member that simply managed not to get fired for 30 years.

With all due respect... I am just so Happy for our organization, and Homer Bailey... If he can keep the Philles to 2 ER pitching into the 7th, then he must have something going for him... This is almost more exciting to me than the Jay Bruce call up... Just because if Homer can continue this... The Reds are STRONG 1-5, and that my friends is what wins ballgames... Plus we now have a CLOSER to tie it all up in Cordero, plus Bray and Burton have sub 3.00 ERA's and are looking great as Set Up men...

The only other question now is the Offense... This team needs a Big Time Right Handed Power Hitter to stabalize the Lineup... And to move guys like Brandon Phillips to where they should be...

What a crap article.

Hal, honestly: NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR WIDDLE FEELINGS.

Wow, he was nice to Hal, he's a good guy again.

Schnickelfritz

Quote Originally Posted by pjhogan View Post
    It wasn't in his article. This came from his blog.

But hey, don't let reality stop y'all from acting like nimrods.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BurgervilleBuck View Post
    It wasn't in his article. This came from his blog.

But hey, don't let reality stop y'all from acting like nimrods.

Who knows if he had somethnig there with Bailey "having an attitude"? Maybe it was just misconstrued frustration. I'm a 49ers fan and one of the most media unfriendly guy out there was Jerry Rice. He just didn't seem to like to talk to the media, but he seemed like a good guy and was FAN friendly. You don't always have to be media friendly to be a good guy. I guess thats the way it looks though with so many guys being jerks in general, to everyone, ALA Bonds.

Turn Off Ads?