Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Re: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    While I like the "best player, regardless of cost" mentality being bantered about, let's not get confused here.

This move will save the Reds a lot of coin if they use it as justification not to pursue a long term contract with Adam Dunn -- which I am almost certain they will (at least internally).

But, naturally I'm sure it's completely coincidental that they drafted a player that can only play 1st base, will be a fast riser through the system, happen to have a young 1st baseman that can also play left field, and have a $10+ million LF in a contract year.

I read in two or three locations that Alonso was the #1 player on the reds draft board... if thats the case, I am ecstatic that the reds selected him.... I would have preferred Beckman but I am not a scout. I think Alonso is safe exceptional talent. He is that high power, high avg, high OBP guys we love here on RZ. I am kind of excited people rn't more pumped.

I think people get baseball and other sports confused. Drafting a guy never has an impact on the major league level at the time of the draft. You deal with that dillemma when the guy is ML ready. See Brewers and LaPorta last year.

I think the Reds still procede with signing Dunn to a 3 year contract

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    I read in two or three locations that Alonso was the #1 player on the reds draft board... if thats the case, I am ecstatic that the reds selected him.... I would have preferred Beckman but I am not a scout. I think Alonso is safe exceptional talent. He is that high power, high avg, high OBP guys we love here on RZ. I am kind of excited people rn't more pumped.

I think people get baseball and other sports confused. Drafting a guy never has an impact on the major league level at the time of the draft. You deal with that dillemma when the guy is ML ready. See Brewers and LaPorta last year.

Agree with this...

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    In fairness, he should be compared to other players who could have been drafted in that spot as well. That would include both Smoak and Crow as well.
    In all fairness he should be compared to every successful player who was taken after him. I don't understand why we always have to make comparisons. Hindsight is always 20/20 but during the draft you don't have the use of hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Can someone please explain to me all the whining going on in this thread? I've never seen such a group of crybabies.
    on Smoak who is a switch hitter

Kevin Goldstein (12:07:43 PM PT): It's a mystery Will. He doesn't want a ton of money, there are no makeup issues. He just seems to be everyone's plan B and they're getting their Plan A guys. Reds seem to be the only team that had Alonso ahead of him.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Teach Joey Votto how to play third, sign Dunn to a LTC, Alonso wins NL ROY in 2010... what's the problem?

(Oh yeah, four left-handed bats in the lineup everyday, oh well. ... And yeah, teaching Votto to play 3b would be next-to-impossible. But I can dream.)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Just like Stubbs and Lincecum, I think it's safe to say that Alonso's pro career will be compared with G. Beckham's for some time here on the Redszone.
    and Smoak.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

If Alonso is only compared to Beckham, we will be very happy. But yeah, I agree he will always be compared to Smoak and Crow as well (at least in my mind).

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    and Smoak.
    and Crow

on Smoak who is a switch hitter
    Oh no!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post

1.) If he's the #1 player LEFT on the Reds draft board, I quibble with their rankings, but I guess I understand. If he was the #1 overall player on the Reds draft board, a lot of people need to be fired.

2.) I understand that it takes longer for baseball players to develop and contribute than football or basketball players -- I've been following the sport long enough to know that.

Still, when you're a team like the Reds (not financially limitless), you have to factor in things like fast-tracked players when determining where to commit valuable dollars of team money.

3.) I'm just making an educated guess, but I doubt that Dunn's "market value" is for a 3 year deal -- especially when most prolific bats are commanding deals into the 6+ year range.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    3.) I'm just making an educated guess, but I doubt that Dunn's "market value" is for a 3 year deal -- especially when most prolific bats are commanding deals into the 6+ year range.
    I don't think this pick has anything to do with Dunn ... and not much to do with Votto. Everyones assuming Votto can move to LF and play it adequately when there really is no evidence to support that and it seem that historically those kinds of moves tend to be brutal.

I don't think this pick has anything to do with Dunn ... and not much to do with Votto. Everyones assuming Votto can move to LF and play it adequately when there really is no evidence to support that and it seem that historically those kinds of moves tend to be brutal.
    I think--and hope!--you're right.

If this kid was the BPA on the Reds board, then they made the right move to draft him. I think it's somewhat disingenuous to conclude that this means the writing is on the wall as far as Dunn being gone. If he was the best player available in their estimation, then, in 12 months time he can be traded for, ideally, the biggest return, or, when he's ready, supplant Joey Votto with Votto being moved for other needed pieces.

A poster over on Dougdirt's site posted this comment, which I found interesting:
    Let’s compare Yonder to the U’s last outstanding 1st rounder: Ryan Braun

Braun:

Fr: .364/.435/.665 17Hrs, 57K, 28BB (62 gp)
    So: .335/.439/.606 10Hrs, 34K, 24BB (45 gp)
    Jr: .388/.471/.726 18Hrs, 39K, 33BB (58 gp)

Alonso:

Fr: .295/.373/.492 10Hrs, 37K, 32BB (66 gp)
    So: .376/.519/.705 18Hrs, 31K, 64BB (61 gp)
    Jr: .370/.530/.767 21Hrs, 30K, 69BB (58 gp)
    For those who suggest that Alonso doesn't have 30 HR power, what differentiates him from Braun in that respect?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    For those who suggest that Alonso doesn't have 30 HR power, what differentiates him from Braun in that respect?
    Projection?

Int. walk to Alonso with 2 on in the 5th inning.

Turn Off Ads?