Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Re: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    1.) If he's the #1 player LEFT on the Reds draft board, I quibble with their rankings, but I guess I understand. If he was the #1 overall player on the Reds draft board, a lot of people need to be fired.

2.) I understand that it takes longer for baseball players to develop and contribute than football or basketball players -- I've been following the sport long enough to know that.

Still, when you're a team like the Reds (not financially limitless), you have to factor in things like fast-tracked players when determining where to commit valuable dollars of team money.

3.) I'm just making an educated guess, but I doubt that Dunn's "market value" is for a 3 year deal -- especially when most prolific bats are commanding deals into the 6+ year range.
    And if we maintain this attitude in regard to the draft, that is why we will continue to be losers. You take the best player available regardless of position. You take the guy you see best fit to succeed.

perhaps we resign Dunn and trade votto at some point. He was rumored in deals to the Orioles for Bedrard. I am sure other teams will covet him down the the road as well.

We are stockpiling talent. We'll work out the spots for the talent at the major league level when we cross that road.

Ps we aren't a small market team anymore. We rank 18th in the MLB, that is middle of the road. And our owner has shown hes willing to spend that cash when necessary.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_jbh View Post
    We are stockpiling talent.
    They played that song with Jim Bowden for a decade.

Except instead of no-field first baseman, it was 5-tool outfielders.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    They played that song with Jim Bowden for a decade.

Except instead of no-field first baseman, it was 5-tool outfielders.
    Except the difference between Bowdens 5 tool outfielders and a good fielding first baseman (where do you keep getting that he is a no field 1b?) is that Alonso has baseball skills while Bowdens guys had athleticism with little actual baseball skills.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Except the difference between Bowdens 5 tool outfielders and a good fielding first baseman (where do you keep getting that he is a no field 1b?) is that Alonso has baseball skills while Bowdens guys had athleticism with little actual baseball skills.
    As I just said in another thread, virtually every player in any team's organization other than the pitchers and catchers have the ability to be average to above-average fielding first basemen if you play them there.

Saying someone is a good first-baseman is less a compliment and more an assurance that you aren't drafting a DH. I don't get excited about that -- especially not with a Top 10 pick.

Honestly, I've said my piece about Alonso, and there's nothing more to say at this point. I'm not going to keep bagging on him before he even signs a deal. I wish him the best with the Reds and sincerely hope we don't look back 3 years from now and wish we'd drafted a pitcher or a middle infielder as I really fear we will.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-07-2008 at 02:05 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

virtually every player in any team's organization other than the pitchers and catchers have the ability to be average to above-average fielding first basemen if you play them there.
    Disagree. First basemen are infielders. Some outfielders would really struggle there, and little guys would be a liability.

If you compare the scouting reports about their defensive prowess, they are very similar for Alonso and Smoak, both adequate at first. For some reason, some people on this board think Smoak is some slick fielding future gold glover while Alonso is slow moving sloth at first...not the case.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...content=alonso

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...?content=smoak

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    If you compare the scouting reports about their defensive prowess, they are very similar for Alonso and Smoak, both adequate at first. For some reason, some people on this board think Smoak is some slick fielding future gold glover while Alonso is slow moving sloth at first...not the case.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...content=alonso

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...?content=smoak
    Its because its Redszone. The Reds are always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its because its Redszone. The Reds are always wrong.
    so true, If Tim Beckham had slipped somehow all the way to 7 and the Reds picked him up, there would be those who would be complaining for some reason

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

After watching him Friday night in the game, I'm not complaining, that's for sure. This guy's got real bat speed, and when I saw him I saw a future Todd Helton. The Reds could do a lot worse.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    After watching him Friday night in the game, I'm not complaining, that's for sure. This guy's got real bat speed, and when I saw him I saw a future Todd Helton. The Reds could do a lot worse.
    I'm not sure I'd go as far as to compare him to Todd Helton, but he can hold his own at first...certainly no worse than Sean Casey

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    so true, If Tim Beckham had slipped somehow all the way to 7 and the Reds picked him up, there would be those who would be complaining for some reason
    And Rightly so.

Mark my words - Tim Beckham will go down as one of the most overrated players in this draft class.

And the Rays are in a perfect position now to take a risk like that.

I think Todd Helton is a good comparison. I like this Yonder guy. I've seen interviews with him and game videos and stats. The guy has been great and has improved as a hitter every year and has been healthy. He's got great bat speed and a great eye with few strikeouts. What else could you want??? I guess time will tell if the Reds made a mistake or not, until then, Yonder Alonso is one of my new favorite players in all of baseball!!!!

I did see too where he said he could play other positions, I don't know about that though. He's not bad for a first baseman.

There is no reason to not like this guy at this time.

Just say Yonder get a hit for Miami. He hit an up and in pitch the other way into left field!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Daddy View Post
    Just say Yonder get a hit for Miami. He hit an up and in pitch the other way into left field!!!
    and it wasn't something that was off the handle either he got that with the meat of the bat

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    And Rightly so.

Mark my words - Tim Beckham will go down as one of the most overrated players in this draft class.

And the Rays are in a perfect position now to take a risk like that.
    Gordon is the overrated one .

Turn Off Ads?