Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

What's your Top 10 ranking look like now?

Mine looks like this...

1 - Daryl Thompson - the Volquez of the Reds minors. I think you have to keep him at #1 until he stops producing.

2 - Todd Frazier - he's dominated everywhere except in Sarasota and you have to think his bat will get hot again soon.

3 - Yonder Alonso - potential to be a cleanup hitter in the majors while possibly being an above average defender.

4 - Travis Wood - He's made it to AA now and looks good so far. Needs to cut down on the walks, but he's a K per IP left handed starter. It wasn't long ago that he was right behind Bailey and Bruce in the rankings.

5 - Josh Roenicke - throws serious heat and could be in the majors by the end of the year. Pitched very well in Spring Training this year.

6 - Matt Maloney - Only one sub par outing since the first of May. He's got good command and doesn't give up many HR's. He won't be a top of the line starter, but could be a solid #4 in the majors.

7 - Chris Valaika - struggled once called up to Chatt, but hitting .324 in his last 10 games.

8 - Drew Stubbs - gets on base and plays plus defense. The power numbers aren't there though and needs to work on turning some of his K's into hits.

9 - Devin Mesoraco - he's hitting well in Dayton so far and has potential to move way up on the list by the end of the year.

10 - Juan Francisco - great power numbers and has the raw talent to be a good defensive 3B. His OBP is horrible though and keeps him from being considered as a top tier prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

Not including Bailey:

1. Alonso
    2. Thompson
    3. Frazier
    4. Stubbs
    5. Mesoraco
    6. Francisco
    7. Wood
    8. Maloney
    9. Valaika
    10. Henry or Herrera

Can someone please get me up to speed on Todd Frazier...

Any links to his potential? Any opinions here? Where will he eventually play? I have heard 3rd, SS, and the OF...

1. Fraizer
    Guy can hit. He probably won't play SS but IMO he forces his way into spring training invite next season
    2. Mesorasco
    Guy is hitting in A ball. I am starting to really like his upside.
    3. Thompson
    I would have ranked him 1 but there seems some hesitation in the experts in pimping him. If he continues through the summer pitching well he will be #1.
    4. Stubbs
    High OBP guy at the top of the order could be a huge help. GG defense is an added bonus
    5. Alonso
    Has yet to prove anything on the professional level
    6. Valakia
    He just hits.
    7. Maloney
    Don't really know what to think of him. Being a lefty certainly helps. But as or right now he is behind Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, and Thompson. Arroyo is the only guy I can forsee leaving within the next 3-4 years.
    8. Francisco
    Strike outs and shaky d scare me.
    9. Soto
    For some reason I really like the tools this guy has.
    10. Cumberland
    Guy has torn up AA ball this year.

1. Alonso
    2. Frazier
    3. Mesoraco
    4. Thompson
    5. Stubbs
    6. Fransisco
    7. Roenicke
    8. Wood
    9. Valiaka
    10. Stewart

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

We moved up 4 high level prospects, and still have plenty to look forward to. 10 years ago it would have been hard to find even 4 mid level prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Can someone please get me up to speed on Todd Frazier...

Any links to his potential? Any opinions here? Where will he eventually play? I have heard 3rd, SS, and the OF...
    Excellent hitter with power. Not best of the best but the next level below that probably. Think Joey Votto from the right side. Plays 1B/3B or corner OF in Pros, although he has the arm and ability to stick at third. Good gap hitter, too will produce lots of bases. Good enough to make a push next spring although likely won't reach until the middle or end of 2009 at earliest.

1. Thompson
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Frazier
    4. Wood - Could easily be #2
    5. Valaika
    6. Dorn
    7. Roenicke
    8. Francisco
    9. Geronimo
    10. Stubbs

I don't see adding guys who haven't played a single professional inning yet to the list.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Gotta like where the system is...

I would go...

1. Frazier - slumping a little in Sarasota, but he can rake, and will take a walk

2. Thompson - The shoulder still scares the heck out of me...Let him finish the year in AAA and see how he does...

3. Alonso - A big power bat that doesn't strike out and take a walk...Lets hope that he has no problem with the switch to wood bats...

4. Mesoraco - He is quickly becoming one of my favorites...Especially since this time last year, a lot of people were dogging the pick...A full year in Dayton to continue his hitting ways and work on his defense...

5. Travis Wood - Once the walks come down he has #2 or #3 starter stuff

6. Matt Maloney - He has pitched good with high k numbers...The only problem is his stuff projects to #4 starter stuff...

7. Drew Stubbs - Can't wait to see how he does when he is eventually moved to Chattanooga...I look for his numbers to rise from what they are in A+...

8. Chris Valaika - All he does it hit...Need to find him a position tho, or else he will just be a utility player with a bat...2B would be his ideal home IMO, but we have BPhil there...

9. Roenicke - Probably the closest player to the major league club right now in terms of help up there, unless bailey falters and then it would be Maloney...

10. Juan Duran - I know this is probably a little bit of a stretch, as he has not played any games in the minors yet and is only 16, but he has the tools...

Others...Soto, Stewart, Watson, Fisher, Viola, Jukich, and obvoiusly there are some others that I have missed...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

1. Alonso
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Stubbs
    4. Frazier
    5. Thompson
    6. Wood
    7. Valaika
    8. Duran
    9. Maloney
    10. Lotzkar

Thats my current Top 10.

Stubbs #3?

Oh come on doug.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-06-2008 at 12:21 PM.

Off the top of my head:

1. Alonso
    2. Frazier
    3. Thompson
    4. Maloney
    5. Mesoraco
    6. Wood
    7. Stubbs
    8. Roenicke
    9. Valaika
    10. Dorn

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Stubbs #3

Oh come on doug.
    Yeah, Stubbs at #3. Stubbs at #10 behind a 24 year old reliever in the FSL, come on TRF.

Performance has to count for something. Stubbs has not performed. Although on second look I'd put Maloney in place of Geronimo and slide him to #11. Stubbs at #10 is all potential and SOME performance (last half of 2007, April, 2008) The rest was blech, injury or no. And he certainly wasn't injured in May of this year.

I'd absolutely NEVER put a draft choice on a list until one season of professional ball.

But that's just my opinion.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Performance has to count for something. Stubbs has not performed. Although on second look I'd put Maloney in place of Geronimo and slide him to #11. Stubbs at #10 is all potential and SOME performance (last half of 2007, April, 2008) The rest was blech, injury or no. And he certainly wasn't injured in May of this year.

I'd absolutely NEVER put a draft choice on a list until one season of professional ball.

But that's just my opinion.
    But you have Mesoraco at #2.

Turn Off Ads?