Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

Re: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    He is for this moment - but as soon as he gets hurt again (which I don't wish for) which is predictable, given his delivery and age.

He and Dorn are tough for me to project. Wood because his breaking ball is so poor, and Dorn because he hasn't shown what position he can play ML defense at. Wood's changeup is of such high quality that he could easily overcome the faults I find with him, and I hope he does make it.

I would say that Volquez is doing pretty good without a very good breaking ball and a dynamic changeup. Sure, Volquez throws a little harder, but Wood isn't a soft thrower, plus he's lefty.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I would say that Volquez is doing pretty good without a very good breaking ball and a dynamic changeup. Sure, Volquez throws a little harder, but Wood isn't a soft thrower, plus he's lefty.
    Volquez is fantastic. His current domination at the Major league level was not even equalled by Wood in his meteoric rookie league campaign.
    And Volquez' fastball is in a different class than Wood - last year when Wood was consistently mid-80s - that is a below average ML fastball. This year, by all accounts the velocity is high 80s and touching 90. That is ML average for a lefty - while Volquez is in the mid-90s - which is a plus fastball. He's also a lot bigger (weight) and stronger guy than Wood. Wood's 21 so he might grow, but his projection is murky because he's not going to get that much taller so where's he going to put the weight?
    Bottom line - you find them similiar pitchers but I don't. Maybe that will change as Wood continues to succeed.
    I give you credit for finding similiarities between Wood and a MLer - I like to do that with prospects. I have tried with Wood and I just can't find a ML pitcher that he reminds me of.
    Last edited by Betterread; 06-10-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Volquez is fantastic. His current domination at the Major league level was not even equalled by Wood in his meteoric rookie league campaign.
    And Volquez' fastball is in a different class than Wood - last year when Wood was consistently mid-80s - that is a below average ML fastball. This year, by all accounts the velocity is high 80s and touching 90. That is ML average for a lefty - while Volquez is in the mid-90s - which is a plus fastball. He's also a lot bigger (weight) and stronger guy than Wood. Wood's 21 so he might grow, but his projection is murky because he's not going to get that much taller so where's he going to put the weight?
    Bottom line - you find them similiar pitchers but I don't.
    I've seen other rankings that don't consider Wood that high.

But it really doesn't matter. The best post was the one (Redleg Jake I think) who just listed 20 or more prospects who have shown up on this thread. The order is unimportant.

Unlike past years, there is no shining star on the farm. (Alonso could be but he's not signed and hasn't played an inning of pro ball.) The strength of the organization is now in the depth of prospects, several of whom could emerge into top prospects.

So people can wildly disagree as to the placement of guys on the lists; the important thing is to continue to stockpile good talented prospects. Some will inevitably emerge.

Bottom line - you find them similiar pitchers but I don't. Maybe that will change as Wood continues to succeed.
    I give you credit for finding similiarities between Wood and a MLer - I like to do that with prospects. I have tried with Wood and I just can't find a ML pitcher that he reminds me of.
    I can agree with you now due to the reasons you listed above, I was just stating that a lack of a breaking ball isn't a reason to drop a guy if he has an outstanding changeup.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

He is for this moment (I meant to list Wood. I listed Jordan Smith twice by mistake in the 10-20 range)- but as soon as he gets hurt again (which I don't wish for) which is predictable, given his delivery and age.
    Nothing about his mechanics are something to be concerned with. His size is one thing, but his mechanics are fine. As for his age, it didn't stop you from worry about Daryl Thompson who already has a MAJOR surgery under his belt.

He and Dorn are tough for me to project. Wood because his breaking ball is so poor, and Dorn because he hasn't shown what position he can play ML defense at. Wood's changeup is of such high quality that he could easily overcome the faults I find with him, and I hope he does make it.
    Travis has a decent breaking ball at times. Its still rough at times, but he is throwing a cutter, a fastball, a change up and the curve. The fact that his curve is below par sometimes isn't a huge dent at least in my eyes.

Of course that was last year. This year Travis is working 88-92 MPH with his fastball and 85-88 with his cutter. For a lefty, that is plenty fast. Not sure where you got your scouting report on Wood's velocity, but its not anything I am hearing except for in that 1 game that Saberscouting was at that began at 1030 in the morning. I have also been told his cutter is a legit major league pitch right now. Put that with his change and his fastball and I am not worried about his stuff. Even if the curve remains inconsistent, he can succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Of course that was last year. This year Travis is working 88-92 MPH with his fastball and 85-88 with his cutter. For a lefty, that is plenty fast. Not sure where you got your scouting report on Wood's velocity, but its not anything I am hearing except for in that 1 game that Saberscouting was at that began at 1030 in the morning. I have also been told his cutter is a legit major league pitch right now. Put that with his change and his fastball and I am not worried about his stuff. Even if the curve remains inconsistent, he can succeed.
    Are you getting consistent scouting report readings on that velocity? If he is hitting 91 and 92 each game, then that's great. I have the sense that his velocity is very different in different games and therefore I don't have a read on Wood. I'll take your word on the fastball readings. Its great news.

On the curveball - I saw it last year and it was an ineffective pitch that he didn't have confidence in. Are you saying that you think its improved this year ?

Are you getting consistent scouting report readings on that velocity? If he is hitting 91 and 92 each game, then that's great. I have the sense that his velocity is very different in different games and therefore I don't have a read on Wood. I'll take your word on the fastball readings. Its great news.

On the curveball - I saw it last year and it was an ineffective pitch that he didn't have confidence in. Are you saying that you think its improved this year ?
    I have two reports (outside of the Saberscouting game) with him working 88-91 while in Sarasota and three from Chattanooga with him working 88-92 (not from the stadium gun either).

As for his curveball, its a hit and miss pitch for him. How often did you see him last year?

Absent a solid breaking ball, Wood is going to need excellent command of his fastball, at the least. I don't know how much movement he has with it -- a little tail to contrast to his cutter would be nice.

Not that it matters much because I certainly don't put much stock into them, but BA thinks that Alonso immediately becomes #1 in the system, followed by Stubbs and Frazier.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266307.html

Regardless, replace Stubbs with Thompson and those are the big three in the system to watch for now.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Not that it matters much because I certainly don't put much stock into them, but BA thinks that Alonso immediately becomes #1 in the system, followed by Stubbs and Frazier.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...08/266307.html

Regardless, replace Stubbs with Thompson and those are the big three in the system to watch for now.
    Nah, I think BA had it right. Alonso, Stubbs and Frazier are the top 3 and in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As for his curveball, its a hit and miss pitch for him. How often did you see him last year?
    Admittedly only a few times, and only once in a competitive game. You have to see a player in person, but how do you know if what you saw was representative? This is a bigger challenge for minor leaguers.

Admittedly only a few times, and only once in a competitive game. You have to see a player in person, but how do you know if what you saw was representative? This is a bigger challenge for minor leaguers.
    Its not really what I saw, but what scouts saw.

Turn Off Ads?