Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

Re: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

He played in the GCL last year, and is performing two levels higher this year.

exception to the rule.

Plus his age and level have to be taken into account.

Doug really, Stubbs higher than Wood I don't get at all. Regardless of your thoughts on him, no way should he be higher than Wood.
    Last edited by TRF; 06-06-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd absolutely NEVER put a draft choice on a list until one season of professional ball.

But that's just my opinion.
    Well, generally prospect lists are made based on who has the best prospects to be a major leaguer. Keeping someone off because they have yet to play shouldn't really come into it unless you are going to redefine prospect.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'd absolutely NEVER put a draft choice on a list until one season of professional ball.

But that's just my opinion.
    When it's the #7 pick in the draft, it shouldn't matter.

Every website and every organization (Reds included) will immediately consider him a top prospect once he's signed. Any expert or guru that ranks top 10's per organization will have Alonzo in the the Reds top 5. No question.

Forgot about Lotzkar, as he has yet to pitch in a game yet...Can't wait to see how he does this year...He is only 18-19 right?

perhaps, but the idea is incomplete as most if not all new draftees have never played with wooden bats.

I prefer 1 year's worth of data. You have added a guy that hasn't even signed a contract yet. Another problem I have with these lists.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    When it's the #7 pick in the draft, it shouldn't matter.

Every website and every organization (Reds included) will immediately consider him a top prospect once he's signed. Any expert or guru that ranks top 10's per organization will have Alonzo in the the Reds top 5. No question.
    Wasn't the Astros #1 pick generally panned? Is he automatically in their top 10 now?

Wasn't Stubbs a top 100 prospect coming into the year? On most top 10 lists (I'm looking at a sporting news right now), Stubbs was ranked 5th best prospect in the Reds organization coming into the year (behind main four: Cueto, Bailey, Votto, and Bruce).

And now those four are all in the bigs. By default, you could make a case that he's now #1. I wouldn't, but he's definitely up there.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 06-06-2008 at 12:43 PM.

perhaps, but the idea is incomplete as most if not all new draftees have never played with wooden bats.

I prefer 1 year's worth of data. You have added a guy that hasn't even signed a contract yet. Another problem I have with these lists.
    Mesoraco doesn't even have a full year of data. Plus, he came straight from metal bats in HS. Alonso played a whole summer with wooden bats in the Cape Cod.

Wasn't Stubbs a top 100 prospect coming tino the year, On most top 10 lists (I'm looking at a sporting news right now), Stubbs was ranked 5th best prospect in the Reds organization coming into the year (behind main four: Cueto, Bailey, Votto, and Bruce).

They are all in the bigs. By default you could make a case that he's now #1. I wouldn't, but he's defintely up there.
    That's my issue. These lists generally are projection and not performance based. Someone let me know when Stubbs has had as good a season as Danny Dorn, Todd Frazier or Chris Valaika. After their first season in Rookie ball they should be added to prospect lists. It's like college b-ball pre-season rankings. meaningless.

Wasn't the Astros #1 pick generally panned? Is he automatically in their top 10 now?

I thought the Astros #1 pick (Castro) was awful, but their system is currently one of the worst in baseball, so yeah, he should be in their top 10 no doubt.

That's my issue. These lists generally are projection and not performance based. Someone let me know when Stubbs has had as good a season as Danny Dorn, Todd Frazier or Chris Valaika. After their first season in Rookie ball they should be added to prospect lists. It's like college b-ball pre-season rankings. meaningless.

And yet, I would guarantee you that Stubbs would have way more trade value than either Dorn or Valaika.

Frazier was a high pick, so performance or not he would command value as well.

You seem to be in the vast minority with this...This is not how prospect rankings are done, they are based on potential...

It is fine if you want to do you list the way you do, but to criticize others based on way most are done, puts you in the minority...

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Doug really, Stubbs higher than Wood I don't get at all. Regardless of your thoughts on him, no way should he be higher than Wood.
    I disagree. Don't let the FSL numbers blind you.

Mesoraco doesn't even have a full year of data. Plus, he came straight from metal bats in HS. Alonso played a whole summer with wooden bats in the Cape Cod.
    He had 40 games in the GCL, and he's at Dayton now and performing. And he's just 20 years old, well, he'll be 20 in less than 2 weeks. He's performing at a high level (something Stubbs didn't do at Dayton until half the year had gone by) at a very young age.

Alonso had about 40 games last summer and performed well from all accounts. But he still has no track record as a pro. I'd say the minimum is at least one season of rookie ball in order to add players to top ten lists.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I disagree. Don't let the FSL numbers blind you.
    I'm not. I'm letting Wood's Southern League numbers dazzle me.

Why do you discount the FSL when it comes to Stubbs poor May? He seemed fine in April. Or is it that perhaps April was more of a fluke than May?

Turn Off Ads?