3. Frazier
    4. Thompson
    5. Stubbs
    6. Maloney
    7. Valaika
    8. Wood
    9. Duran
    10. Lotzkar

I don't know much about Duran or Lotzkar, so I am putting some faith in the scouting reports. It was really tough to not include Francisco or Roenicke...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Post Draft (1st day) Top 10

1.Frazier
    2.Alonso
    3.Stubbs
    4.Mesoraco
    5.Thompson
    6.Wood
    7.Maloney
    8.Lotzkar
    9.Duran
    10.Valaika
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

1. Frazier, 1B/ 3B/ OF
    The Good: He can hit. Frazier has done nothing to dispell his massive numbers since the start of his pro career last June. He's hit with power and he has excellent plate discipline.
    The Bad: If he's a cornere OF, Frazier's bat isn't all that special. Even as a 3B, it's just above average. Red brass have decided he can't play SS. At the hot corner, he's an excellent prospect. At 2B, he's an excellent prospect. In LF, he's so-so.

2. Thompson, RHSP
    The Good: No one in the minor leagues has done more this season to improve his stock than the former Expo/ Nat. His FB is solid, but his demeanor on the mound and control seperates him from others. He absolutely refuses to beat himself. As a result, he's flourished.
    The Bad: For all his success, Thompson's stuff isn't all that phenomenal. It's good, don't get me wrong. But it's not top-of-the-line good. And that's the type of numbers he's putting up. He could be similar to Aaron Harang and Tom Browning and pitch better than his stuff. More than likely, however, he's simply getting a bit lucky. Still, he's a solid #3 rotation candidate. And that's pretty darn great for a team that always needs more pitching.

3. Alonso 1B/ 3B?
    The Good: Alonso's bat may produce great power numbers. His bat may produce a batting title or two. It will always produce a great OBP. Alonso swings at good pitches to hit and he hits them.
    The Bad: Frankly, he's limited. He'll never be a truly outstanding defensive player and his bat has to carry him. That's okay, but, as a 1B only, he'll have to be extraordinarily good with the bat to justify his #7 draft position. He can't simply be as good as Joey Votto (who, in his own right, is above average); he'll need to be better.

4. Wood, LHSP
    The Good: Wood has the best change-up in the minor leagues. He's also a southpaw, and he has a decent fastball despite rumors to the contrary. (I've seen radar and he sits in the low 90's and high 80's throughout a game and can dial it up to 94.) He's also still learning how to pitch and has put up excellent numbers at three stops along the Red farm system. He has a chance to be a top-of-the-rotation lefty. And that's worth it's weight in gold.
    The Bad: The further up the line he goes, the more Wood has struggled. Until this season. Part of that can be laid at the feet of injuries. He's been hampered with those little nagging hurts for two years. Finally completely healthy, Wood has returned to form.

5. Lotzkar, RHSP
    The Good: Lotskar's pure stuff is ace material. His success last season is also a good sign. He's very, very young and has a plus-plus fastball and late life on his off-speed stuff. With the Cincinnati pitching coaches teaching an effective change, he should blossom into a legitimate three pitch guy with at least two solid pitches. That's a #2 starter at worst.
    The Bad: Many a young ace has turned into a pumpkin before climbing the ladder to major league success and Lotskar's ladder is longer than most. He's only on rung one.

6. Stubbs, CF
    The Good: Gold Glove, patience, and speed. Stubbs looks like a good bet to have a high OBP and great D at a premium position. Why Redszone seemingly despises him is beyond me.
    The Bad: For all his tools, Stubbs hasn't done all he should. He's been... blah... for the most part. He'll make the majors but may never be more than a fine fourth OF.

7. Mesoraco, C
    The Good: Mesoraco has been a pleasant suprise this month, hitting well a full two levels higher than where he struggled mightily last season. A 800+ OPS from a catcher is extremely valuable and Mesoraco has shown some suprising pop, too.
    The Bad: He's only been hitting for a month. It may all be helium at this point. Check back in September.

8. Valaika, SS/ 2B
    The Good: Valaika, until last season, hit like Pete Rose. Last season, he hit like Pete Rose, Jr. This year, back to Rose, Sr. And he plays SS. If he continues to play short, he's a really nice candidate for Top 100 Prospect status.
    The Bad: Valaika isn't necessarily a SS. He's more of a 2B. That's great, but Cincinnati has a guy there who just got paid a whole lot of money to play there. If Valaika is more High A this season and less AA, he's a Top 50 prospect. If he's a utility guy, he's not even Top 250.

9. Duran, CF/ RF
    The Good: Talent and potential ooze from his 6'7" frame. He's a CF right now, but most think he's a RF in a couple years. Duran could grow into 80 power and his arm is already a cannon. He also has good speed right now and a solid, solid bat.
    The Bad: Duran, for all his potential, hasn't played game one of professional baseball. And all the talent in the world doesn't mean squat if you don't do it on the field. He's at least four years away (and that's being generous). Still, talent like Duran's doesn't come along every year. He could be special.

10. Maloney, LHSP
    The Good: The polar opposite of Duran, in that he's never been a great perephial guy. All he's done is succeed at each level. Not just succeed, but dominate. It's no different in AAA this year. After an unlucky start, Maloney has been lights out since May 1. He K's batters by the bunches and he's a lefty.
    The Bad: His fastball is fair, but nothing to write home about. And, for all his success, Maloney's still considered a #3 starter in the majors. At best. Still, to have Maloney as the #10 prospect in your system says a lot about the strength of the Redleg minor leagues.

They're stacked.

Of course, little of that talent is top end. Perhaps none of it. The depth is extraordinary, though. And, after graduating five really nice prospects this season, depth becomes important.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm more or less with Cyclone. Right or wrong, I put a lot of value on polish. I'm excited to have a few big skill, high ceiling guys around. But to me, those raw skills just mean that you should move up the board quickly if and when you put it together.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    A quick list here, nothing too concrete ...

1) Alonso
    2) Frazier
    3) Thompson
    4) Mesoraco
    5) Maloney
    6) Stubbs
    7) Valaika
    8) Wood
    9) Duran
    10) Lotzkar

There's always been interesting discussion about Stubbs for the last two years, but I'm waiting for his attempt to take on Southern League pitching once he reaches Chattanooga. I think that will be a pretty good step in determining the probability of Stubbs' success moving forward.
    I also like this list though I would put Josh Roenicke at number 10 and Lotzkar 10a.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

1. Alonso -- upside seems unlimited, potential all star hitter
    2. Thompson -- near readiness as solid starter at young age
    3. Mesoraco -- catcher way ahead of game hitting at Dayton
    4, Frazier -- destroyed low A, needs to settle on position
    5. Francisco -- underrated, only 20 at High A, discipline will come, great potential
    6. Roenicke -- way underrated in this thread, moving quickly toward Reds pen
    7. Stubbs -- will be a major leaguer, walks are great, needs to hit
    8. Duran -- based on reports -- if he starts well he's in top three
    9. Wood -- excellent year, let's see if AA hitters catch up to him
    10. Valaika -- edges out Lotzkar and Watson because of terrific hitting at High A. The other two are next.

Moving up -- Tonys Gutierrez has displayed great on base skills and may soon need to be considered for these lists

Out of top ten for now -- Maloney has good peripherals but has given up a lot of AAA runs.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-06-2008 at 05:18 PM.

1. Alonso
    2. Mesoraco
    3. Frazier
    4. Thompson
    5. Stubbs

After that, a muddled group of pretty decent prospects who have not distinguished themselves from one another. Still good depth after all the promotions, but not as elite at the top. That could change, however, with the development of Mez, Lotzkar, Soto, Duran, and the like.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

ADOPT THIS SIGNATURE IN SOLIDARITY!!!

I'll take a stab. I think the team goes about 20 deep with solid guys and numbers 6 -20 are pretty interchangeable as far as the order goes. System as a whole drops though with Bruce, Votto, Cueto and Bailey graduating.

1. Frazier
    2. Alonso
    3. Mesoraco (big move up for me with him)
    4. Thompson
    5. Roenicke
    6. Cumberland (another big move up)
    7. Wood (another riser)
    8. Valaika
    9. Maloney (for trade value. I'm a skeptic here)
    10. Herrera

Just missed:

Jukich, Henry, Gutierrez, Stubbs, Dorn, Francisco, Waring, Lotzkar, Soto, Duran

Biggest Drops:

Rosales, Fisher
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Interesting Thread. I'll go

1.) Alonso (I think alot of people who are criticizing this pick will be eating their words shortly...say, 2010)
    2.) Mesoraco (Very encouraging to see his progress with the bat...as reds44 said earlier catchers who can rake are extremely valuable)
    3.) Stubbs (poor man's Grady Sizemore...high OBP, can go get it in center)
    4.) Thompson (matter of time before he's in Cincy/MLB...his value has skyrocketed this year)
    5.) Wood (best changeup in the minors...if he can consistantly maintain his velocity in the low 90s the sky is the limit)
    6.) Frazier (matter of time before he's over .300 in high-A)
    7.) Roenicke (he'll be up as soon as Weathers/Affeldt are dealt)
    8.) Maloney (highly underrated by many around here)
    9.) Duran (Can not wait to see/follow this kid...will likely vault up this list as soon as he gets started)
    10.) Valiaka (it'll be interesting to see if he stays at SS or move off to 2B or 3B)

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    1. Frazier, 1B/ 3B/ OF
    The Good: He can hit. Frazier has done nothing to dispell his massive numbers since the start of his pro career last June. He's hit with power and he has excellent plate discipline.
    The Bad: If he's a cornere OF, Frazier's bat isn't all that special. Even as a 3B, it's just above average. Red brass have decided he can't play SS. At the hot corner, he's an excellent prospect. At 2B, he's an excellent prospect. In LF, he's so-so.

2. Thompson, RHSP
    The Good: No one in the minor leagues has done more this season to improve his stock than the former Expo/ Nat. His FB is solid, but his demeanor on the mound and control seperates him from others. He absolutely refuses to beat himself. As a result, he's flourished.
    The Bad: For all his success, Thompson's stuff isn't all that phenomenal. It's good, don't get me wrong. But it's not top-of-the-line good. And that's the type of numbers he's putting up. He could be similar to Aaron Harang and Tom Browning and pitch better than his stuff. More than likely, however, he's simply getting a bit lucky. Still, he's a solid #3 rotation candidate. And that's pretty darn great for a team that always needs more pitching.

3. Alonso 1B/ 3B?
    The Good: Alonso's bat may produce great power numbers. His bat may produce a batting title or two. It will always produce a great OBP. Alonso swings at good pitches to hit and he hits them.
    The Bad: Frankly, he's limited. He'll never be a truly outstanding defensive player and his bat has to carry him. That's okay, but, as a 1B only, he'll have to be extraordinarily good with the bat to justify his #7 draft position. He can't simply be as good as Joey Votto (who, in his own right, is above average); he'll need to be better.

4. Wood, LHSP
    The Good: Wood has the best change-up in the minor leagues. He's also a southpaw, and he has a decent fastball despite rumors to the contrary. (I've seen radar and he sits in the low 90's and high 80's throughout a game and can dial it up to 94.) He's also still learning how to pitch and has put up excellent numbers at three stops along the Red farm system. He has a chance to be a top-of-the-rotation lefty. And that's worth it's weight in gold.
    The Bad: The further up the line he goes, the more Wood has struggled. Until this season. Part of that can be laid at the feet of injuries. He's been hampered with those little nagging hurts for two years. Finally completely healthy, Wood has returned to form.

5. Lotzkar, RHSP
    The Good: Lotskar's pure stuff is ace material. His success last season is also a good sign. He's very, very young and has a plus-plus fastball and late life on his off-speed stuff. With the Cincinnati pitching coaches teaching an effective change, he should blossom into a legitimate three pitch guy with at least two solid pitches. That's a #2 starter at worst.
    The Bad: Many a young ace has turned into a pumpkin before climbing the ladder to major league success and Lotskar's ladder is longer than most. He's only on rung one.

6. Stubbs, CF
    The Good: Gold Glove, patience, and speed. Stubbs looks like a good bet to have a high OBP and great D at a premium position. Why Redszone seemingly despises him is beyond me.
    The Bad: For all his tools, Stubbs hasn't done all he should. He's been... blah... for the most part. He'll make the majors but may never be more than a fine fourth OF.

7. Mesoraco, C
    The Good: Mesoraco has been a pleasant suprise this month, hitting well a full two levels higher than where he struggled mightily last season. A 800+ OPS from a catcher is extremely valuable and Mesoraco has shown some suprising pop, too.
    The Bad: He's only been hitting for a month. It may all be helium at this point. Check back in September.

8. Valaika, SS/ 2B
    The Good: Valaika, until last season, hit like Pete Rose. Last season, he hit like Pete Rose, Jr. This year, back to Rose, Sr. And he plays SS. If he continues to play short, he's a really nice candidate for Top 100 Prospect status.
    The Bad: Valaika isn't necessarily a SS. He's more of a 2B. That's great, but Cincinnati has a guy there who just got paid a whole lot of money to play there. If Valaika is more High A this season and less AA, he's a Top 50 prospect. If he's a utility guy, he's not even Top 250.

9. Duran, CF/ RF
    The Good: Talent and potential ooze from his 6'7" frame. He's a CF right now, but most think he's a RF in a couple years. Duran could grow into 80 power and his arm is already a cannon. He also has good speed right now and a solid, solid bat.
    The Bad: Duran, for all his potential, hasn't played game one of professional baseball. And all the talent in the world doesn't mean squat if you don't do it on the field. He's at least four years away (and that's being generous). Still, talent like Duran's doesn't come along every year. He could be special.

10. Maloney, LHSP
    The Good: The polar opposite of Duran, in that he's never been a great perephial guy. All he's done is succeed at each level. Not just succeed, but dominate. It's no different in AAA this year. After an unlucky start, Maloney has been lights out since May 1. He K's batters by the bunches and he's a lefty.
    The Bad: His fastball is fair, but nothing to write home about. And, for all his success, Maloney's still considered a #3 starter in the majors. At best. Still, to have Maloney as the #10 prospect in your system says a lot about the strength of the Redleg minor leagues.

They're stacked.

Of course, little of that talent is top end. Perhaps none of it. The depth is extraordinary, though. And, after graduating five really nice prospects this season, depth becomes important.
    Good stuff. However, you answer your own question on Stubbs. When the No. 8 overall pick of the draft "hasn't done all he should" (or even close) and when there was a stud college pitcher like Lincecum on the board, the Stubbs pick is going to get ripped. I don't think anyone "despises" Drew Stubbs the person, it's not his fault that the Reds drafted him, but I think a lot of people like myself hated the pick from the moment it was made and it's only gotten worse over time. I would have to put Mesoraco over him as a prospect at this point.

Good points on Lotzkar. I agree his few stars last year in rookie ball (9 or something like that) were very encouraging. That was a good pick in the supplemental round last year.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    1. Frazier, 1B/ 3B/ OF

2. Thompson, RHSP

3. Alonso 1B/ 3B?

4. Wood, LHSP

5. Lotzkar, RHSP

6. Stubbs, CF

7. Mesoraco, C

8. Valaika, SS/ 2B

9. Duran, CF/ RF

10. Maloney, LHSP

They're stacked.

Exellent post, SI. Very informative and level-headed analysis. I'd probably have Alonso 1 or 2 instead of 3, but tough to argue with your list. Once again, great work.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    1. Fraizer
    Guy can hit. He probably won't play SS but IMO he forces his way into spring training invite next season
    2. Mesorasco
    Guy is hitting in A ball. I am starting to really like his upside.
    3. Thompson
    I would have ranked him 1 but there seems some hesitation in the experts in pimping him. If he continues through the summer pitching well he will be #1.
    4. Stubbs
    High OBP guy at the top of the order could be a huge help. GG defense is an added bonus
    5. Alonso
    Has yet to prove anything on the professional level
    6. Valakia
    He just hits.
    7. Maloney
    Don't really know what to think of him. Being a lefty certainly helps. But as or right now he is behind Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, and Thompson. Arroyo is the only guy I can forsee leaving within the next 3-4 years.
    8. Francisco
    Strike outs and shaky d scare me.
    9. Soto
    For some reason I really like the tools this guy has.
    10. Cumberland
    Guy has torn up AA ball this year.

There has been alot of hesistation in that regard...why is that???

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    They want to see him hold up for the long haul. Guys with major shoulder surgery under their belt already draw serious questions about their performance going forward. When you have a guy with that on his record and then has improved stuff its going to make people curious whether he can hold it up for an entire season.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The injury concerns, once you've had an arm surgery of any kind it increases the likelihood of a future injury or at least everybody thinks so. And the lack of a good offspeed pitch. His change-up is way behind the development of his other pitches. Once he get's that change-up working solid he's a legitimate #3 until then he's a BOR (Back of Rotation) candidate or probably moreso a BOB (Back of Bullpen) candidate.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Daryl Thompson

Todd Frazier

Yonder Alonso

Travis Wood

Josh Roenicke

Matt Maloney

Chris Valaika

Drew Stubbs

Devin Mesoraco

Juan Francisco

Danny Herrerra

Sean Henry

Neftali Soto

Sean Cumberland

Zach Stewart

Danny Dorn

Juan Duran

Ramon Geronimo

Ben Jukich

Kyle Lotzkar

Sean Watson

Tonys Gutierrez

21 guys who get someone's eye as a top ten. That's pretty incredible and still leaves out some who could be on the list like Jeffords, Viola, Castro, Fisher, Reed, Pelland, Ravin, Dickerson and some of the draftees who will sign. Expect at least a couple to surprise and hit these lists next year (as well as as couple who'll disappoint). That's a very deep farm system and with Frazier, Alonso, Thompson, Roenicke one that still has some premiere level talent developing despite promotions for Bruce, Bailey and Cueto.

Turn Off Ads?