Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are the Reds Going?

Where are the Reds Going?

This is a useless rant from a pretty uneducated baseball fan.

I was reading on a blog that many scouts were very surprised about the Reds drafting Alonso. They say he can't play third and he's is probably best served as a 3rd baseman. I look at the guy and he looks unorthodox and very unathletic. It's pretty clear that Alonso is going to cost a lot and was not the best player left in the draft. It is pretty clear that Smoak (great glove, switch-hitter, power to all fields) is the better player, both offensively and defensively. Gordon was probably the best player on the board (scouts were saying the White Sox had to be very happy Gordon was on the board). Putting $8 million dollars on this guy is a big mistake. That's first overall pick money (if that). That's Texiera money. He's clearly not that type of talent.

This shows me the Reds don't know what they're doing with the draft anymore.

It seems that Walt is going to have a shake up in the scouting department to get rid of the old staff and put in his own personal staff. With every two years getting a new GM, it seems that the Reds don't know what they're doing. It's surprising how well our minor league system is.

Trent points out that Alonso might have been drafted to be traded (As Walt does have a track record of trading prospects), but that's no way to run a small market organization. You have to build up from the bottom.

I recommend reading the following link. If the Reds don't build up right now, they're going to be the future's Kansas City Royals.
    http://www.thelotd.com/goredlegs/blo...le_over_yonder
    Last edited by AdamDunn; 06-06-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Messed up
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where are the Reds Going?

Florida. They play the Marlins tonight.

I miss Adam Dunn.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

We talk about balancing your eyes with the stats... have you looked at them yet?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    We talk about balancing your eyes with the stats... have you looked at them yet?
    Have you seen or heard about his defense? Have you seen or heard Smoak? Have you seen his wanted signing bonus?
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

That guy you linked to is a nobody. It wouldn't surprise me if everything he wrote is made up on the spot.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Have you seen or heard about his defense? Have you seen or heard Smoak? Have you seen his wanted signing bonus?
    Baseball America says Alonso is an above average defender.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Anyone have Pujols scouting report when he got drafted. I heard many bad things on him as well if my memory is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    He's at best an above average defender. Smoak has gold-glove potential and the general concensus better player.

http://www.collegebaseballprospects....tin-smoak.html
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=sircrc

I can't find it now, but Kevin Goldstein said he gold glove as well.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    And so did the guy that drafted him, Buckley, and that's all that matters. Also, even if he is a sub par defender right now, why do people not think the coaches could improve his techniques? You don't just stop learning skills at any other job at the age of 21. Why would it be that way in baseball?

And no, Smoak was not clearly the better pick than Alonso. Alonso has been a projected top 10 pick for awhile now.

CTrent's a huge University of Georgia guy -- he wasn't going to take the selection of Alonso over GBeckham lying down.......
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    CTrent's a huge University of Georgia guy -- he wasn't going to take the selection of Alonso over GBeckham lying down.......
    Doesn't mean what he's saying isn't legit. My point is that Walt doesn't know how to use his minor league system well. His drafts point that out. He got Pujols, Drew, and a few guys of that nature. But he traded a lot of good players and lots of the picks under his tenure in St. Louis were busts. He goes for big potential that are really risky. That's what I feel about this pick.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

He's at best an above average defender. Smoak has gold-glove potential and the general concensus better player.

http://www.collegebaseballprospects....tin-smoak.html
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ml?eref=sircrc

I can't find it now, but Kevin Goldstein said he gold glove as well.
    The Reds obviously liked Alonso better than Smoak. That's fine with me. Plus Kevin Goldstein has also hinted that Smoak possibly has attitude problems. Maybe that factored into their decision. I don't know.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

He goes for big potential that are really risky.
    Alonso is anything but a high risk pick.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Doesn't mean what he's saying isn't legit. My point is that Walt doesn't know how to use his minor league system well. His drafts point that out. He got Pujols, Drew, and a few guys of that nature. But he traded a lot of good players and lots of the picks under his tenure in St. Louis were busts. He goes for big potential that are really risky. That's what I feel about this pick.
    I guess my question to this is, is Jocketty a bad drafter or was the guy he hired in St Louis? Odds are Jocketty isn't the one making these decisions, Buckley and his scouts are. If thats the case, I have full faith in them.

Guys, that is not Trent. It's Trent's blog but the guy who wrote the article goes by Mr. Redlegs. I believe he's one of Trent's buddies.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?