Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Reds Going?

Re: Where are the Reds Going?

I would still like to know what Smoak's numbers were in the Cape Cod League. Maybe he underwhelmed scouts with a wooden bat.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    I would still like to know what Smoak's numbers were in the Cape Cod League. Maybe he underwhelmed scouts with a wooden bat.
    He hit 11 HR there after his freshman year. He did disappoint for Team USA however.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Plate discipline being taught is a lot easier said than done. You don't often see guys make big strides in that department because its such a difficult thing to teach.
    It's a lot easier to teach than defense and switch hitting. Plate discipline is completely mental and pitch recognition. Defense and switch hitting require athletic ability. Switch hitting requires a lot of muscle memory (especially switch hitting) which requires lots of time.
    FIRE DUSTY BAKER

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Plate discipline can be taught. Switch-hitting and gold-glove fielding abilities, not so much.
    That's absolutely false. Yes plate discipline can be improved (albeit not usually by much) and switch hitting cannot at least at this juncture and still be productive in the mean time. That said defense can also be improved. Now instincts are what they are and Smoak appears to have a slight edge in this dept. But is that worth the difference in their offensive game, I don't think so.

Yes Smoak has more power but he isn't likely to actually hit for more power unless he improves his approach.

The difference would be like Pujols and Dunn, yes Dunn is more powerful but doesn't hit for much more power than does Pujols and Pujols is more productive overall.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

It's a lot easier to teach than defense and switch hitting. Plate discipline is completely mental and pitch recognition. Defense and switch hitting require athletic ability. Switch hitting requires a lot of muscle memory (especially switch hitting) which requires lots of time.
    Yonder Alonso plate discipline can not be taught, if it could there would be nobody K'ing over 100 times a year. Yonder will end up being a guy who only K's 60-70 times in a year while walking 100 times, again go look at Pujoul's numbers who I think compare's favorably to what Yonder can be and go look at Texiera's numbers who people say Smoak reminds them of. While any team would want both of those guys, Albert his the far better hitter

What does switch hitting have to do with anything? Be a HITTER and its not going to matter if they bring in a lefty or righty to face you. Javy Valentin is a switch hitter and it doesn't do him much good. Albert Pujols isn't a switch hitter and he does just fine. As for defense, Alonso has fine defense.

From BA today:

The most dangerous slugger on one of the nation's top hitting college teams, Alonso has produced consistent offensive numbers for Miami in each of his three years. As a freshman he led the team with 69 RBIs, leading the Hurricanes to the College World Series. As a sophomore, he led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 18 home runs, and finished the season with a .376 batting average. A native of Cuba, Alonso came to America at age 9. He was drafted out of Coral Gables (Fla.) High in the 16th round by the Twins in 2005. Alonso has always hit for average and power, and he is considered one of the most professional hitters in this year's draft. Blessed with superior plate discipline, Alonso has a great strikeout-to-walk ratio and has an advanced approach. He swings lefthanded and has power to all fields, making consistent contact. In the field, Alonso is limited to first base but plays the position well. He is a below-average runner with adequate arm strength, but he should be an above-average defender. Alonso's professionalism and makeup are both strengths as well, making him a safe pick to reach the major leagues.

ESPN just compared Alonso to Albert Pujols. Not sure how accurate that is, but it sure is nice to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    ESPN just compared Alonso to Albert Pujols. Not sure how accurate that is, but it sure is nice to hear.
    how good am I I have been saying that all along

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    how good am I I have been saying that all along
    Where did you read it at?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

They compared his body type to Pujols

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Where did you read it at?

in my mind

also look at the plate approach though

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    Maybe I heard it wrong, or heard what I wanted to hear, but I thought they also said he had a similar hitting approach to Pujols. Anyway, if they said he sang Karaokee like Pujols, I'd be happy.

Oh, well, he struck out in the first inning. He sucks. Drafting him was a mistake.

Maybe I heard it wrong, or heard what I wanted to hear, but I thought they also said he had a similar hitting approach to Pujols. Anyway, if they said he sang Karaokee like Pujols, I'd be happy.

Oh, well, he struck out in the first inning. He sucks. Drafting him was a mistake.
    They did say he did somethings like pujols but his main point was thier body types. I guess it's just a case of two people hearing the same thing but taking it two different ways .It happens alot here at the Redszone

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote from the Scouts View from TSN:

They rate Alonso ahead of Smoak.

"The guy from Miami is for real" the A.L scouting director says. "For me, Smoak is no sure thing."

Look , it's not like the Alonso pick came out of left field. The Reds obviously thought Alonso was better. No one poster here really knows for sure that that is not true. Alons's plate discipline is a huge plus. Not many players with that plate discipline fail. I can't name one.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some have blasted the Alonso pick, some (like me) love it. It sure makes for some interesting threads, though.

Turn Off Ads?