Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds draft WV quarterback Pat White in 49th round....

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Reds draft WV quarterback Pat White in 49th round....

per C-Trent.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Day 2 is complete. In all, the Reds took 36 college players and 13 high school players. I think I counted 28 pitchers.

The one name that popped out to me, the Reds 49th round pick. Really, it's that Pat White.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds draft WV quarterback Pat White in 49th round....

Comming out of HS, White was a 4th round draft pick by the Angles, Rich Rod made him a offer to paly QB, so he turned them down.

Is this another word for "we don't wanna pay for this pick"? Pat White is likely going to make more in the NFL draft next year than he ever will in baseball.

White isnt going to play QB in the NFL is he? I think he would be moved to a different position.

I'm a Mountaineer fan, and I can't see Pat White ever playing in the NFL at any position. I don't think he's built well enough to switch to WR or even be a return man, like Randal El, etc. I just really can't see how he'd ever fit in. He's a "system" QB in morgantown, there's no system like that in the NFL. I love it that the reds took a chance on him, I'd love to see his 4.4 speed swiping bases in Cincy some day.

This is a wasted pick for this year unless they are allowed to or willing to sign him and wait on him to play his last year for the Mountaineers. I am not sure on all the rules as far as that goes.

I do not know if he will ever make it in the NFL as a QB, but I am sure he could stick at slot or wideout. If that does not work out, he has a rocket arm, great speed, and incredible leadership skills that would be welcomed in center field for any organization.

The word is that he might consider baseball when he is finished with his college football career. In fact he flirted with playing for WVU's baseball team this spring but decided to concentrate on spring football. If he does go after a baseball career, I hope it is with the Reds, because whatever that guy decides to do he will be a winner at it. That is what Pat White does.

Oh yeah...almost forgot...Pat White for Heisman!
    Last edited by wvu-red-fan; 06-07-2008 at 12:04 AM.

True mountaineer here! Pat has said over and over again that he will be trying to go the NFL, so I don't really understand this pick. However, I love the fact that the Reds have his rights! Anyone now for how long?

Lets GOOOOOOOOOO

MOUNTAINEERS!

hope he doesn't have a problem with his non-throwing hand to the point that he can't suck it up for his team with a trip to the world series on the line

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    hope he doesn't have a problem with his non-throwing hand to the point that he can't suck it up for his team with a trip to the world series on the line
    Because it's really smart to have a running quarterback play with a dislocated thumb when you have a proven back up? Have you ever dislocated a thumb? Do you know how bad that hurts? Please don't get me started on that.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

LOL. You know what I just noticed on that you tube video of Pat White that C-trent put up....the espn bottom line running at the bottom of the video....

"MLB: Mairiners exercise option on Eddie Guardado"
    "MLB: Reds CEO Carl Lindner agrees to sell controlling interest of team to group of Cincinnati buisinessmen led by Robert Castellini."

Don't ask me why I was looking at the bottom line. No idea. :O)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

He was okay to play the last drive of the game, and why would it not be smart to let a quarterback play that usually runs the ball that has a dislocated thumb on his non-throwing hand? WV's proven backup wasn't able to put up any points on pittsburgh, so i find it hard to believe that he was too proven.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Wasted pick imo
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5
    2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Wasted pick imo
    Yes b/c a pick in the 49th round needs to be a sure thing.

Rich Rod got outcoached by Dave Wannstedt thats all that should be said about that awful game.

Pat's a great athlete, he won't be given a chance to play QB short of WVU going to an NFL system and Pat setting all kinds of records passing. Even then, he weighs 185 probably soaking wet, he'd have way too many durability concerns.

If Pat wants to give baseball a try AFTER he leads the Mountaineers as a senior I have no problems with that. But leave him alone until then.

How long would the reds have to sign Pat to a contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by moewan View Post
    Barmaid to patron "Sir you are slurring, I am going to have to cut you off"

Patron to barmaid "I'm not slurring, I'm speaking in cursive"

this pick was wasted on an exceptional athlete who apparently at one time was a stud baseball player in high school. He probably has more potential than anyone else they could pick in the 49th round. Even though that potential is an absolute longshot...nevertheless its fun seeing a name like that on our draft board.

Turn Off Ads?