Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Racing's Triple Crown...

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Horse Racing's Triple Crown...

I was talking to a friend of mine who follows racing. He's just as baffled as everyone else. He said none of the theories -- disruption in training (my favorite), missing the Winstrol dose, missing whatever other meds New York might not allow that other states do, the track surface, nothing -- can explain why a horse that could win the first two legs of the Triple Crown without seemingly breathing hard would be finished after galloping the slow opening mile of the Belmont. Unless he stood in his stall the whole three weeks eating the horse equivalent of Cheetos, he just wouldn't lose that much conditioning.

So, unless an explanation like Spectacular Bid's safety pin turns up, we'll probably never know why Big Brown just didn't run.
    Not all who wander are lost

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

he wasn't as fast as horse racing's Babe Ruth
    I never get tired of watching Secretariat's Triple Crown races on Youtube. Each race was amazing for a different reason.
    Not all who wander are lost

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I never get tired of watching Secretariat's Triple Crown races on Youtube. Each race was amazing for a different reason.
    Me either. I've seen the Belmont probably 100 times, and I still get goosebumps everytime I see it. Simpy stunning. Preakness to, I don't think I've ever seen a horse fly as fast as he did coming out of the first turn, he simply destroyed them as if they were standing still.
    Last edited by Reds4Life; 06-09-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    As the resident equine veterinarian, let me just say, "Bull."

TB racing in any state is highly regulated. It wasn't always that way, and the reputation still holds.

A quick education on Winstol. It is a testosterone derivative. It will shortly be a prohibited substance in all jurisdictions. However, that is more of a response the fallout from human PEDs than any medical justification. It has been shown in multiple studies that Winstrol has NO effect on race times.
    Bull, right back.

The use and non-use of Lasix has always been the determining factor on why a horse can win the 1st two legs of the Triple Crown and not the third.

As you know, when Lasix prevents a horse's lungs from bleeding because of being pushed too hard, the non-use of Lasix in New York does not allow the horse to run as hard as it did in Maryland and Kentucky. Add to that the extra distance and the non-use of drugs, Lasix in particular and others like it, a Champion horse in Kentucky and Maryland becomes ordinary among it's class in New York.

Secretariat's heart was four times the normal size.

It would be like someone having Popeye's arms and Superman's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I was talking to a friend of mine who follows racing. He's just as baffled as everyone else. He said none of the theories -- disruption in training (my favorite), missing the Winstrol dose, missing whatever other meds New York might not allow that other states do, the track surface, nothing -- can explain why a horse that could win the first two legs of the Triple Crown without seemingly breathing hard would be finished after galloping the slow opening mile of the Belmont. Unless he stood in his stall the whole three weeks eating the horse equivalent of Cheetos, he just wouldn't lose that much conditioning.

So, unless an explanation like Spectacular Bid's safety pin turns up, we'll probably never know why Big Brown just didn't run.
    The trainer was lying about the horse being ready. When asked the direct question before the race, he shot his eyes very quickly to his left before bringing them back to answer the question, a gesture that usually indicates one is lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bull, right back.

The use and non-use of Lasix has always been the determining factor on why a horse can win the 1st two legs of the Triple Crown and not the third.

As you know, when Lasix prevents a horse's lungs from bleeding because of being pushed too hard, the non-use of Lasix in New York does not allow the horse to run as hard as it did in Maryland and Kentucky. Add to that the extra distance and the non-use of drugs, Lasix in particular and others like it, a Champion horse in Kentucky and Maryland becomes ordinary among it's class in New York.
    Lasix is legal in NY:
    (1) The administration of furosemide is permissible to a horse, which has qualified for its use by any of the following means:

(i) the horse has bled visibly during a race or a workout, as determined by the association veterinarian; or

(ii) the horse has bled during a race or workout, as determined by an attending veterinarian based upon his/her clinical assessment of the horse which may or may not include an endoscopic examination after the race or workout; or

(iii) the horse has been qualified by the State veterinarian or a veterinarian employed by the racetrack for the administration of furosemide in another racing jurisdiction; or

(iv) the horse has raced on furosemide in its last race in a jurisdiction with rules substantially similar to New York State.
    Three major races in three different venues over roughly 6 weeks. Keeping a horse "peaked" for that long is an enormous challenge. Add into that the last race is LOOOOONG. Don't belittle the difficulty of the Triple Crown by bringing medication rules into the discussion.

Maybe he just had a "bad day." Does there have to be an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Maybe he just had a "bad day." Does there have to be an explanation?
    There's an explanation, but it may never be discovered.

I've been involved in harness racing for the better part of my life, so I know a little about horses. The jockey is going to know this more than anyone, but just watching on tv it looked like Brig Brown never look "comfortable" throughout the race. It looked as if he got kicked early, it looked like he wanted to get out of traffic early but couldn't, and towards the end it appeared to me that his ears were perking backwards......which is usually a sign that the horse is either unhappy or hurting. Either way, it's a good indication the horse isn't at it's best form. On top of that ,he was on the outside uncovered for a big part of the race and in the last turn, meaning he is racing a farther distance than the rail horses.

It may have just been a combination of all of those things. If a horse is unhappy or uncomfortable during a race, he (she) isn't going to give you their best. It's just one of those things that we may never know, simply because Big Brown can't tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Lasix is legal in NY:

How long has NY been allowing Lasix and how easy is it to get a horse qualified in that state for it's use?

BTW, your avatar looks like Bold Ruler, if he was a little darker.

Dutrow is now throwing Desormeaux under the bus blaming him. His rationale is that nothing is wrong with the horse, so it must be the rider. That guy is one piece of work.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Dutrow is now throwing Desormeaux under the bus blaming him. His rationale is that nothing is wrong with the horse, so it must be the rider. That guy is one piece of work.
    He's a complete baffoon.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

He is the bum he always was.

I know next to nothing about horse racing, but Dutrow appears to be a jerk. I was hoping to see Big Brown win the triple crown, but I'm glad Dutrow doesn't get to celebrate such an achievement.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

After the Derby I was just a little annoyed by Dutrow, turns out I'm glad Big Brown didn't win the Triple Crown and I'm also glad that Dutrow doesn't get the claim to fame of having trained a Triple Crown winner.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Turn Off Ads?