Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Reds Draft Info

2008 Reds Draft Info

I wanna start a thread devoted strictly to useful info for as many players as possible drafted in '08. I know some things have already been covered but they are a bit spread out and so I wanna combine everything I can find as far as scouting reports, statistics, mechanical breakdowns...you get the picture anything useful. I'll make the 1st couple of picks a post to themselves as they should have plenty of info out there. Please feel free to add!

*Any Available video of prospects are here*:

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...r&ft=TM&fv=cin
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-07-2008 at 04:40 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 Reds Draft Info

1st Round #7 Overall

Alonso, Yonder U Miami 1B L/R 6'02" 215 1987-04-08 JR #19

(Statistical breakdown career at UM)
    http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/spor..._yonder00.html

MLB.com
    Hitting Ability: Alonso looks like a professional hitter at the plate, a run producer with patience who's particularly good at going the other way.

Power: He's got above-average power, the kind that could generate 25-30 homers annually in the future. Right now, it's mostly to center and left-center, but as he gets older, he'll be able to turn on and pull pitches on the inner half of the plate

Running Speed: He's got below-average speed.

Base running: He's not a base-clogger, with good instincts on the basepaths.

Arm Strength: He's got a good arm at first.

Fielding: He's adequate at first, with decent hands that allow him to catch what's right at him.

Range: He has average range, fine for his position.

Physical Description: Alongso has a medium frame with a thick build. He's barrel-chested and solid throughout, having worked hard to tighten up his body.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: He's the kind of guy who will simply hit, with great plate discpline and plenty of power

Weaknesses: He's limited to first defensively and is only OK there.

Summary: Alonso or Smoak? Smoak or Alonso? It can be quite a debate over which college first baseman should go first on Draft day. Alonso is a hitter, period, with a great approach and power, especially the other way right now. Defensively, he's no great shakes, but it's that bat that teams will dream about putting in the middle of their lineup to produce plenty of runs in the future.
    BA: (Free)

Scouting Report

The most dangerous slugger on one of the nation's top hitting college teams, Alonso has produced consistent offensive numbers for Miami in each of his three years. As a freshman he led the team with 69 RBIs, leading the Hurricanes to the College World Series.

As a sophomore, he led the Atlantic Coast Conference with 18 home runs, and finished the season with a .376 batting average. A native of Cuba, Alonso came to America at age 9. He was drafted out of Coral Gables (Fla.) High in the 16th round by the Twins in 2005.

Alonso has always hit for average and power, and he is considered one of the most professional hitters in this year's draft. Blessed with superior plate discipline, Alonso has a great strikeout-to-walk ratio and has an advanced approach. He swings lefthanded and has power to all fields, making consistent contact.

In the field, Alonso is limited to first base but plays the position well. He is a below-average runner with adequate arm strength, but he should be an above-average defender. Alonso's professionalism and makeup are both strengths as well, making him a safe pick to reach the major leagues.
    PG Crosschecker:

SCOUTING REPORT (3/1): The best pure hitter in the Cape Cod League last summer, Alonso followed up a strong .376-18-74 sophomore season at Miami with a solid .338-4-25 campaign on the Cape. Those who saw him play every day said he had only one or two cheap hits all season. He has a quick bat and makes consistent hard contact. Alonso not only has a beautiful, compact, balanced swing and can center balls as a matter of routine, he has a patient, disciplined approach to hitting. Overall, he walked 100 times in 2007 (64 at Miami, a league-high 36 at Brewster), while striking out on a combined 56 occasions. He has yet to tap fully into his power potential, but he hits bombs in BP and drives balls hard to the gaps during games. He should develop into more of a legit home run threat as he turns on balls and lifts them more consistently. At this point in his development, he ranks behind only current big leaguers Pat Burrell and Ryan Braun as the best all-around hitters Miami has produced in the last two decades. Though he has solid arm strength with carry and has worked out at third base in pre-game drills and caught in the bullpen on occasion, Alonso doesn’t take his defense as seriously as his offense. He is pretty much limited to first base as he’s just an average athlete who needs to get himself in better shape. But he has good glove actions around the first-base bag, soft hands and good footwork.—ALLAN SIMPSON

UPDATE (5/1): Alonso has been a rock all spring, hitting close to .400 with power (.382-16-53, 57 BB) despite being constantly pitched around in the powerful Hurricanes lineup. He projects as a solid mid-first round pick with a fast path to the big leagues.—DAVID RAWNSLEY
    And an interesting read:

themiamihurricane.com

Yonder Alonso: the superstitious baseball player
    First baseman does same warm ups, parks in same spot before each game

By: Patrick Pineyro // Contributing Sports Writer
    Issue date: 2/16/07 Section: Sports

A lot of kids grow up playing sports, especially baseball. They play on little league teams, with parents in the stands cheering. Sophomore first baseman Yonder Alonso did just the same, but he was also lucky enough to watch his father play catcher and first base professionally in Cuba. Alonso spent his childhood cheering on his father. Now the tables have turned, and Alonso's father is the one who sits in the stands and watches his son start for the Miami Hurricanes.

At the age of eight, Alonso moved to Hialeah, Fla. For years he played ball with current teammates, such as pitcher Jason Santana and second baseman Jemile Weeks.

"We've grown up together," Alonso said. "We know each other and how we play."

Alonso admits he didn't know much about college baseball growing up, but he knew he wanted to get recruited for a respected Division I team. He and Weeks, among others, pushed each other to play better from a young age and the result of their strong fundamental knowledge of the game and advanced skill level is a spot on the No.5 team in the country.

But landing a spot in a top collegiate club isn't the only thing that Alonso has already accomplished. As a freshman, Alonso was part of the 'Canes team that beat 'Ole Miss in the Super Regionals, a significant win that led Miami to its 22nd College World Series berth. He went 1-4 in that game with one RBI.

"I felt like that was something huge for me," Alonso said. "Coming here, the goal was to play in the College World Series, and last year we did that."

With a roster that has promising young talent like the 'Canes do, it will most likely not be Alonso's last trip to Omaha.

On top of his performances on the field, Alonso has also proved that he can meet the academic challenges at the University. He was named a UM Bookbuster after achieving a GPA above 3.0 in his first semester.

Like many athletes, Alonso is quite superstitious when it comes to his sport.

"Oh man, we could talk about [superstitions] all day," he said.

After the win against 'Ole Miss, Alonso told his parents to watch the College World Series games with the same exact people at home, believing that their position during the game had something to do with his success.

Every time Alonso warms up, he does the same stretches. He takes the same road to campus on the way to a game and parks in the same spot. Unless, that is, he has a bad game and then his whole routine changes. He'll pick a different parking spot or maybe avoid US-1 on the way to school and take a completely different route.

So far this season, however, Alonso has been parking in the same spot. He is 4-6 with a home run in Miami's two losses and maintains a batting average of .667, showing that he can be a threat in the middle of the 'Canes lineup.

Despite the excitement of his young college career, Alonso remains focused on his future goals.

"Of course, I think every baseball player has aspirations in the Major Leagues," Alonso said. "I want that chance. It's very hard, but I feel like I could do it."
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-07-2008 at 02:26 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

3rd Round #84 Overall

Stewart, Zachary Texas Tech U RHP R/R 6'02" 205 1986-09-28 JR #25

2008 Stats:
    [PHP]ERA W-L APP GS SV IP H R ER BB SO 2B 3B HR AB B/Avg WP HBP BK
    4.98 3-2 20 3 3 47.0 48 28 26 21 43 15 0 5 179 .268 4 1 0[/PHP]

MLB.com

Fastball: Stewart showed plus, plus velocity, throwing his fastball in the 95-97 mph range.

Fastball movement: It had plus life as well.

Slider: He showed a slider that was average-to-plus and threw it with good deception.

Control: He had plus command, particularly of his fastball.

Poise: He has a closer mentality, very aggressive and going right after hitters.

Physical Description: Stewart isn't all that big, but he's strong-bodied and his stuff plays big as does his bulldog mentality.

Medical Update: Healthy.

Strengths: Two plus power pitches and command of both of them. He has the right demeanor to be a closer.

Weaknesses: Having played at three colleges in three years, there's no real track record.

Summary: College closers have become all the rage lately, with some getting drafted early every year. Stewart could be in that group in 2008. The Texas Tech reliever relies on a plus fastball and slider and commands both power offerings well. He's got the kind of makeup you want in a short reliever, a guy who is very aggressive and goes right after hitters. The stuff plus the mentality could push Stewart into early-round consideration.
    PG Crosschecker:

SCOUTING REPORT (3/1): After a year at Division II Angelo State (Texas) and another at North Central Texas JC, where he went 8-3, 2.29 as a starter in 2007, Stewart has taken over as the closer at Texas Tech this spring. It’s a role he’s cut out to perform as he has an aggressive demeanor and doesn’t give in to hitters. He was Texas Tech’s best arm filling that role in the early going. He displays good sinking action on an 89-93 mph fastball that tails away from lefthanded hitters and bores in or righthanders. The pitch produces a steady stream of ground-ball outs. He also gets slurve-like action on a 75-77 mph slider and gets occasional sink on his changeup, normally a 74-76 mph offering. He has no mechanical faults, but needs work on refining his slider and change.—ALLAN SIMPSON

UPDATE (5/15): Stewart’s unsightly 4.98 ERA (to go with a 3-2 record and three saves) was blown up during his first start of the season (of three total) on April 25 when he allowed a nine-run inning to Oklahoma. He was auditioned as a starter late in the season, in part to give scouts an extended look as he got few opportunities to work in a closer role on a struggling Texas Tech team. Stewart is clearly a reliever and his ability in that role cast him into the first two rounds of the draft. He was steadily 92-95 mph all spring with outstanding sinking life on his fastball.—DAVID RAWNSLEY
    TT Red Raiders site:

Prior to Texas Tech
    Played one season at Angelo State University before transferring to North Central Texas College in 2006...First-Team All-Conference and Second-Team All-Region selection last season at North Central Texas College

High School
    A 2005 graduate of Holliday High School in Holliday, Texas...lettered in baseball, basketball, football, track and tennis...coached in baseball by Terry Wolf...helped lead his team to the state tournament all four years of high school and was state finalists three of those years...was an All-State selection his junior and senior seasons.

Personal
    Born on Sept. 28, 1986 in Wichita Falls, Texas to parents Ken and Robin Stewart...has one younger brother, Ty...enjoys fishing and hunting...majoring in psychology.
    An interesting read:

Lubbock Online

Stewart gives Tech strength in its bullpen
    By George Watson | AVALANCHE-JOURNAL
    Friday, March 14, 2008
    Story last updated at 3/14/2008 - 2:17 am

It wasn't hard to look at last year's Texas Tech baseball team and find one glaring weakness that played a direct role in its miserable season.

Tech's inability to close out games on the mound may have made more of a direct impact on the Red Raiders sitting home for the Big 12 Tournament with a last-place finish than any other problem area in 2007. That's why when fall workouts started, the Tech coaching staff had already pegged junior transfer Zach Stewart as the designated closer.

He's done nothing to diminish his coaches confidence in his ability in that role. He has helped stabilize the back end of the Red Raider bullpen heading into today's Big 12 Conference opener at Texas A&M.

"I'm getting to where I feel more comfortable," said Stewart, who earned the team's only two saves of the year in back-to-back outings against Northern Illinois and New Mexico. "The last three games I've struggled a little bit and got the ball up some, but I was able to battle through it and had some good outings. Now I'm getting more used to it."

And the Red Raiders (8-6) are getting more used to the ability of going to Stewart earlier than normal when turning to a closer.

In earning those two saves, he was extended heavily, pitching 21/3 innings both times with just one day of rest between them. He allowed a couple of hits but struck out four among the nine batters he faced against Northern Illinois, then Tuesday at New Mexico worked out of two bases-loaded jams. He allowed three walks and three hits, but more importantly, no runs to the Lobos.

"He's done very well," Tech coach Larry Hays said. "But baseball has a way of checking to see if you've got everything, and we're going down (to A&M) and we like what he's done, but he's got to continue to pitch well. That's what's fun about baseball is it's what you do today that counts. We've got the ingredients there where if we stay healthy to be stable in a situation like that."

Tech was in plenty of those situations last year but faltered. Five times during Big 12 Conference play the Red Raiders led in the seventh inning or later only to give up the lead and lose. Had Tech had an effective closer, it could have meant the difference between an 8-18 finish and a 13-13 mark and one of the top five seeds in the Big 12 Tournament. That would have put the Red Raiders in contention for an NCAA playoff berth instead of ending the season in last place.

That may be why the Tech coaching staff was so quick to identify Stewart as the most likely closer candidate, and why new pitching coach Dan Spencer has placed so much emphasis on a solid bullpen.

Neither Stewart nor Hays was concerned about the wear on Stewart's arm with two lengthy outings in such close proximity. Stewart credited his days as a starter at North Central Texas College the past two years with his ability to handle large workloads on his arm. Stewart has had one other two-inning outing this year, but his fastball was also clocked in the mid- to high-90s during the Minute Maid Classic in Houston two weeks ago.

The consecutive long-relief outings came after he had made just five appearances and thrown six innings in those appearances. The only run he's allowed all season was a meaningless home run in the ninth against Central Arkansas last week, giving Stewart the team lead in ERA at 0.84.

"It was hard because I wasn't getting as many innings as I did last year and I was having more trouble keeping my arm in shape than I usually have," Stewart said. "As far as the save situations I didn't have a real good grasp of how that would be. There's a lot less room for error, it seems like. Usually (a closer) is coming in starting with nobody on but most of the time I'm starting with two or three guys on. It's a lot less innings but a lot tougher situations."

This weekend, however, may see Stewart in the more traditional closer role if the Red Raiders have a chance late in the game, meaning a late eight-inning or ninth-inning appearance to finish a game off instead of the lengthy relief outings he's had the last two times.

"It doesn't always work out that way but we want to have him available," Hays said. "Just because you have (a closer) you're not necessarily going to get to use it, and he's got to be ready when we have those opportunities. When you hit them you want to take advantage of them."
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-07-2008 at 02:22 AM.

--Woody Hayes

4th Round #119 Overall

Cline, Tyler Cass HS (GA) RHP R/R 6'02" 220 1990-06-24 HS #13

PG Crosschecker:

SCOUTING REPORT: Cline is a big, barrel-chested, country-strong type of athlete. He’ll throw up to 92 mph from a free-wheeling delivery with some effort at release, and the most notable thing about his fastball isn’t its velocity but the hard, late running life it gets into righthanded hitters. Cline has struggled to control his fastball at times because of all the movement. He tends to lower his release point on his curveball but will get sharp spin and good velocity on the pitch at times. Cline is a non-qualifier who has signed with Middle Georgia JC, which should help his draft status in this area.—DAVID RAWNSLEY

--Woody Hayes

5th Round #149 Overall

Shunick, Clayton North Carolina St U RHP R/R 6'01" 175 1986-09-10 JR

PG Crosschecker:

SCOUTING REPORT: N.C. State had such an arsenal of draftable arms entering the 2008 season that the possibility existed that 8-10 could be drafted. Shunick was mentioned near the bottom of that group after going 6-3, 6.15 in mainly a relief role a year ago, but no one did more to improve his stock this spring. Used in a starting role, he responded with a 7-5, 2.12 record with 100 strikeouts in 89 innings as the Wolfpack entered post-season play. He also walked just 21 and limited hitters to a .207 average. Shunick threw strikes more consistently this year, but the biggest difference was in the development of a nasty split-finger fastball thrown in the 89-92 range that wobbled, swerved and darted almost at will as it reached the plate, and routinely missed the barrel of bats. His curve and changeup are acceptable secondary pitches, but his ability to mix them with his fastball was a contributing factor in his overnight success. –ALLAN SIMPSON
    Cape Cod Team:
    http://www.orleanscardinals.com/shunick.html

RHP Clayton Shunick Is Excited To Be Back For 2007
    Returning Cardinals Pitcher Represented Orleans In Last Year's All-Star Game

June 27, 2007
    By: Brett Brecheisen - Orleans Cardinals Intern

The 2007 Orleans Cardinals have a completely new look. Each summer there are many players that come and go. It’s not very common for a player to make his way back to Orleans for more than one season. In fact, only two Cardinals from the 2006 squad have returned for this summer.

One of those returning players is pitcher Clayton Shunick. Originally a temporary player last year, Shunick made sure his presence was felt as he was one of four players who represented the Orleans Cardinals in the All-Star Game hosted by Yarmouth-Dennis.

Whereas a lot of players get recruited to play in the Cape Cod League, Shunick was quite the opposite. Playing his freshman year at Georgia State, a small Division 1 school in Atlanta that does not have a lot of baseball history, he felt like no one really knew about him.

“I went to the league tryout and Cardinals General Manager Sue Horton was generous enough to offer me a temporary contract here. I took it and did pretty good. I ended up getting a permanent contract and made the All-Star team,” Shunick said about his trip from unknown to All-Star.

The season that Clayton had last summer not only earned him a trip to the All-Star Game but it landed him with a better baseball program, as well. While he was on the Cape during the summer he was given an attractive transfer offer from North Carolina State, which plays in the highly regarded Atlantic Coast Conference.

“Georgia State had its ups and downs. After awhile I just kind of decided that I needed to move on to a better program. We were losing games and I felt like I was pitching well but didn’t have support and I just felt like I needed to go somewhere a little bit better,” he said.

At NC State, Shunick was able to compete against some of the best talent in the country in a full college season. Pitching for the Wolfpack, he was tied for the team lead in wins, was third on the team in strikeouts, and second in fewest home runs allowed. The right-handed sophomore posted a 6-3 record with a 6.15 ERA.

His 2006 success with the Cardinals, however, built Shunick’s confidence and put away any doubts about whether he was good enough to pitch at a higher level.

“I felt like I really was able to control my fastball really good and mix speeds last summer. It was kind of re-assuring that I could pitch against any kind of competition,” he said.

Clayton grew up in Alpharetta, GA, a suburb of Atlanta. Playing at Chattahoochee HS, he accomplished pretty much everything any high school baseball player would want. After sitting out his junior year because of elbow trouble, Shunick went on to win the Georgia 5A Pitcher of the Year Award while he led his school to the 5A State Baseball Championship. Shunick threw the second game of the three-game championship series and led his team to victory in what was a must-win.

In addition to being an outstanding baseball player, Clayton, has several other interests as well. Some of his favorite hobbies include going out to the lake back home, playing golf, and hanging out with his friends. He is also very close to his family, particularly his 17-year-old sister, Brittany.

“She plays volleyball so if I’m ever home I try and make it to her games because she supported me a lot all throughout my baseball career so I feel like I should go out there and support her, too,” he said.

Shunick is certainly excited to be back for his second season in a Cardinals uniform and the coaching staff is thrilled to have him back, as well.

“Clayton is a kid of good character and a hard worker and we’re going to look to him to be a leader of this staff as a returning guy,” Field Manager Kelly Nicholson said. “He is going to continue to get better when he locates his fastball, changes speed, and gets that slider going,” he added.

That fastball and slider is what is keeping hitters from figuring out Shunick. The right-hander has started two games in the early 2007 season for Orleans and has posted a remarkable 2.89 ERA. His last start came on June 25 at Wareham where he threw five innings and only allowed one unearned run. Shunick was the winning pitcher, evening his record at 1-1.

Clayton is also extremely happy with the places he has chosen to play for the remainder of his college career, Orleans and Raleigh.

“The fans are the best part of baseball in Orleans. You get some of the best crowds in the league. It’s really nice to see a lot of people out here supporting the Cardinals. The atmosphere in Raleigh is also really great. I’ve really grown to love the city,” he said.

Shunick will continue to seek his second Cape League All-Star Game appearance when he takes the hill next week. He is scheduled to make his next start on Tuesday, July 3 when the Cardinals travel again to Wareham.

--Woody Hayes

6th Round #179 Overall

Buchholz, Alexander U Delaware SS R/R 6'00" 185 1987-09-30 JR #12

Career Stats breakdown here:

http://www.statstud.com/playerstatss...t=hitter&a=avg

Pitching Stats included here: (Scroll Down)
    PG Crosschecker:

SCOUTING REPORT (3/1): Buchholz has had two high-profile seasons at Delaware, batting .378-18-64 as a freshman and .387-11-63 as a sophomore. He didn’t hit quite to that level last summer in the Cal Ripken Sr. League (.270-1-21), but he nonetheless led Youse’s Maryland Orioles to its fifth straight All-American Amateur Baseball Association title. He impressed scouts with his bat speed and power to all fields. While he spent most of his first two college seasons at second base, Buchholz played third base last summer and displayed the best infield arm in the Cal Ripken Sr. League. He was expected to continue to play third base his junior year at Delaware, but began the 2008 season on familiar ground at second base. He has the power numbers to profile at the hot corner, though they may be enhanced somewhat since Delaware plays in a bandbox.—ALLAN SIMPSON

UPDATE (5/15): Buchholz played the bulk of the 2008 season at shortstop for Delaware—more on team need than design, but he may have enhanced his profile as a potential utility player in the process. He has good hands and graceful actions in the middle, but his arm was a little short from the hole though is very playable at second, his best position. He showed a quick, aggressive, compact stroke but had an inclination to be too home-run happy this spring as he pressed to hit the long ball more consistently like he did his first two seasons. He hit just five long balls this year, while batting.319. Despite a pronounced dip in offensive production, scouts have little doubt Buchholz will hit.—AS
    U of Delaware Player Bio:

Alex Buchholz
    Junior
    Infielder
    Millersville, MD/Old Mill

At Delaware: Will start at third base for the Blue Hens • named a Louisville Slugger First-Team Preseason All-American • selected to the Wallace Award Watch List • enters 2008 season ranked No. 9 all-time at Delaware with a .383 career batting average.

2007: Continued his stellar career by leading the team with a .387 batting average, 63 RBI, and 27 doubles • his 92 hits also were the third most by any Blue Hen in a single season • recorded at least one hit in 50 of the team’s 55 games • had 30 multi-hit efforts • started the season on an 11-game hitting streak and later added a career-best 19-game run • had the finest game of his career against Wilimington College on March 14 after going 5-for-5 with two home runs, six RBI, four runs scored, and a stolen base • split time at three places in the infield • turned the program’s first unassisted triple play against Hofstra on March 24 • earned second-team All-CAA honors and third-team PingBaseball.com All-American accolades • named to the second-team Louisville Slugger Preseason All-American squad before earning the Blue Hens’ MVP award • earned a place on the CAA All-Tournament team after hitting .348 with eight RBI and three runs scored in the conference championship • played alongside teammate Kyle Davis for Youse’s Maryland Orioles of the Cal Ripken, Sr. Collegiate Baseball League • finished tied for the team lead with nine steals and was second on the squad with a .270 batting average. Outstanding offensive and defensive player who was named a Louisville Slugger 2nd Team Preseason All-American.

2006: Enjoyed one of the most spectacular freshman seasons in Delaware baseballl history • hit .378 with a team-high 18 home runs and tied for the team lead with 64 RBI • twice named CAA Rookie of the Week • tied school record by hitting three home runs at James Madison on March 18 • registered 29 multiple hit games and 17 multiple RBI games • also posted a 13 game hitting streak • helped out on pitching mound for injury ravaged Delaware staff, going 2-0 with two saves and a 4.91 ERA • named CAA Rookie of the Year, first team All-CAA, Baseball America National All-Freshman Team, Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American, 2nd Team ABCA All-East Region and UD Team Rookie of the Year.

High School: Three-year letterwinner in baseball at Old Mill High School for coach Mel Montgomery • made first team all-state as a senior • holds school record for at-bats, hits, singles, doubles, runs scored and second in school history with a .472 batting average • also lettered in soccer and basketball at Old Mill • once made 11 three-pointers in a game • National Honor Society member.

Personal: Alexander "Alex" Glenn Buchholz ("buck-holz") • son of Dennis Buchholz and Kenneth and Rebecca Smith • brother, Matt, played baseball for UMBC • business management major at Delaware.

--Woody Hayes

7th Round #209 Overall

Villarreal, Pedro Howard Col RHP R/R 6'01" 215 1987-12-09 J2

Not much here folks but I'm still looking!

Villarreal Signs with Bronc Baseball
    Courtesy - UTPA Sports Information Department

Dec. 10, 2007

UTPA head coach Willie Gawlik announced on Monday (Dec. 10) that Howard Junior College standout Pedro Villarreal (Dallas, TX/Howard Junior College) has signed a National of Intent and will join the Broncs in the 2008-09 academic campaign.

"We are excited about Pedro signing with the Broncs," said Gawlik. "He had a great high school career being named the district mvp both his junior and senior seasons. Pedro has pitched in several different roles at Howard Junior College where he has done an outstanding job coming out of the bullpen. We see Pedro making an immediate impact on the mound for the Broncs."

As a freshman at Howard Junior College, the newly-inked Bronc posted a 2-3 record, to go along with five saves and 27 strikeouts in 30 innings of work. The Hawks finished the season with a 36-20 overall record.

During his prep career at Seagoville High School, Villarreal collected all-district MVP accolades his junior and senior seasons. As a junior, the newly-signed Bronc was voted the best pitcher at the 2005 American Baseball School Winter Classic.
    Thursday, April 13 2006
    Pedro Villarreal signs Letter of Intent
    Howard College (Big Springs, Texas) and the Texas Dukes Baseball Organization are proud to announce that Seagoville High School and Texas Dukes senior, Pedro Villarreal has signed a letter of intent to play baseball for Howard College beginning in fall 2006.

Pedro was selected and played on Team USA (20U) for USA Baseball’s Athlete Development Program and the American School of Baseball at their third annual Puerto Rico Winter Classic where he received the Best 20U Pitcher award for the tournament.
    *Pedro On Left (Below) after signing NLI for Howard College*

--Woody Hayes

8th Round #239 Overall

Puckett, Cody Cal St Dominguez Hills SS R/R 5'10" 185 1987-04-03 JR #3

[PHP]
    Yr GP GS AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB AVG SLG
    06 47 46 182 29 56 11 2 4 31 8 26 5-7 .308 .456
    07 52 52 214 51 67 18 0 11 28 11 31 6-6 .313 .551
    T 99 98 396 80 123 29 2 15 59 19 57 11-13 .311 .508
    [/PHP]

Cody Puckett
    Junior
    5’10 ~ 185
    Infielder ~ R/R
    Apple Valley, CA/Hesperia HS

2007: Voted to the All-CCAA honorable mention team ... Led the team in runs scored, doubles, homeruns, and sac flies ... Went hitless in only nine games while never having back-to-back games without a hit ... Was second on the team in multi-hit games (15) ... Had three hit streaks of seven or more games ... Hit a game winning walk-off two-run homerun against Cal State San Bernardino on May 3 ... Hit .421 in 38 at-bats against left-handed pitchers ... Reached based nearly 55% of the time when leading off an inning ... Drove in 8 of 14 runners when at the plate with a runner at 3rd and less than two outs ... Finished 2nd in the CCAA in sac flies (6), 8th in doubles, and 9th in runs scored.

2006: Was one of two freshmen to be voted to the 1st-Team All-CCAA ... Fared better against right-handed pitchers with a .343 batting average as a true freshman ... Had a batting average of .500 with runners on 3rd and less than two outs ... Did most of his offensive damage while in the 7th hole, hitting .387 with all four of his home runs.

Hesperia High School: Lettered three consecutive years as a Scorpion … Made All-League and All-Area three-consecutive seasons … Helped team to league title in 2003 ... During his sophomore year, hit .404 with 13 RBIs ... In his junior season hit .472 and drove in 19 runs ... In his last year at the prep level, had a batting average of .450 and drove in 22 RBIs.

Personal: Born on April 3, 1987, in Victorville, CA … Son of Kerry and Rocky Puckett ... Has one older brother, Jake, who played his last season at conference rival Cal State San Bernardino last year ... Has yet to declare a major.

--Woody Hayes

9th Round # 269 Overall

Sappelt, David Coastal Carolina U OF R/R 5'09" 195 1987-01-02 JR #24

Baseball's Sappelt Taken In the Ninth Round By the Cincinnati Reds

CONWAY, S.C. – Coastal Carolina redshirt junior outfielder David Sappelt (Graham, N.C./Southern Alamance) was picked in the ninth round of the 2008 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft by the Cincinnati Reds. Sappelt joins Dock Doyle and Pete Andrelczyk as Chanticleers drafted in the top-10 rounds.

Sappelt, a First Team All-Big South and an All-Conway Regional Team member, is hitting .355 with 24 doubles, 18 home runs and 67 RBI for the Chanticleers this season. In the Conway regional, Sappelt was 8-for-15 with six runs scored, two home runs and six RBI in three games. He also was slugging .933 and had a .611 on-base percentage in the tournament. Sappelt was a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award and was the Big South Preseason Player of the Year. He hit three home runs and had seven RBI in the win over Radford May 17. In the Big South Tournament opener against UNC Asheville, Sappelt was 4-for-4 with four runs scored and three RBI. He also had two home runs in the win over Georgia Tech May 3. Sappelt leads the Big South in doubles and is tied with Doyle in home runs.
    OF David Sappelt | Preseason All-American said he will likely leave if he is a top-15 round selection.
    http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/spo...ry/475048.html

Sappelt was named a Third Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball and set a Coastal single-season record with 99 hits. He was named the Big South Player of the Year and was a First Team All-Big South outfielder. He ranked second on the squad and sixth in the Big South with a .359 batting average and was among the League leaders in slugging percentage (.580), runs batted in (50), doubles (17) and home runs (10). Sappelt led the Big South with 160 total bases and 276 at-bats. He also recorded a .410 on-base average and hit for the cycle against High Point, April 14. A two-time Big South Player of the Week selection, Sappelt batted .372 against Conference opponents (29-78) and belted five home runs with 18 RBI and a .744 slugging percentage in the 18 League games. He posted 29 multi-hit games and 12 multi-RBI performances, and also recorded a 16-game hitting streak Feb. 25-March 4. Sappelt was one hit away from tying the Big South single-season hits record.
    Coastal Carolina Bio:

Was named to the All-Ping! Baseball Preseason First Team and the Louisville Slugger Preseason All-America Third Team in 2008... 2007: Was named a Third Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball... Was the Big South Player of the Year and a First Team All-Big South performer in the outfield... Was named to the All-Ping! Baseball Third Team as an outfielder... Broke Coastal’s single-season hits record with 99, a mark that also led the Big South... Also holds the record for at-bats in a season (262)... Was a two-time Big South Player of the Week... Started all of Coastal’s 63 games... Led the Big South in total bases (160)... Was 3-for-5 with five RBI and had the game-winning grand slam April 29 against Liberty... Drove in four runs March 23 against Radford... Had 28 multi-hit games and 12 multi-RBI performances... Had a 16-game hitting streak Feb. 25-March 24... Hit for the cycle April 14 in a win over High Point... Was 3-for-5 with a double and a triple in the season opener Feb. 9 against North Florida... Went 3-for-5 with three runs scored and two RBI in a win over Winthrop May 20... 2006: Played in 49 games with 42 starts... Hit .315 with four triples on the year... Adds three doubles, five home runs and 35 RBI... Hit .344 in Big South games... Had a .461 slugging percentage and was 5-of-7 in stolen bases... Drove in six runs against George Mason Feb. 19... Brought in five runs April 23 against Liberty... Was the Co-Big South Player of the Week March 27... Had four hits in a doubleheader against Winthrop April 9... Had a go-ahead three-run home run May 19 against UNC Asheville... Had the game winning hit against Savannah State March 22... Drove in three runs May 12 against Radford... Had two hits and a run-batted-in in the Big South Tournament game against Winthrop May 26... HIGH SCHOOL: Was an All-Conference selection at Graham High School his junior season... Was a Second Team Louisville Slugger All-American in 2004... Hit 18 home runs in American Legion baseball in 2004... Born Jan. 2, 1987... Is majoring in history at Coastal.

--Woody Hayes

10th Round #299 Overall

Conner, Sean Palm Beach CC RF L/R 6'02" 198 1987-07-28 J3 #9

Palm Beach CC Player Bio (Hey it's a CC what do you expect, LOL)
    9 - Sean Conner

Major: Criminal Justice

Sean Is from Lake Worth, FL. He attended Santaluces High School where he was on the Dick Howser All-Star Team.
    And some pretty crude stats:

[PHP]GP AB H 2B 3B HR RBI Avg. BB
    37 138 45 15 0 2? 43 .326 ??[/PHP]

--Woody Hayes

Thak you for the effort. Maybe this should be a sticky for a couple weeks? There are going to be a lot of threads with sentences that begin with, "Isn't he the guy the Reds drafted who . . . ?"

Confident but not cocky, proud but not arrogant, the University of Delaware’s Alex Buchholz is one the most determined, dynamic and exciting players in college baseball. His success was instant at Delaware, as Buchholz compiled one of the most spectacular freshman seasons in Delaware baseball history batting .378 with a Blue Hen-high 18 home runs and 64 RBI. He ranked in the top twenty-five nationally in homeruns per game (15th at .34), RBI per game (25th at 1.21), slugging percentage (14th at .721) and runs per game (24th at 1.17). As an aggressive, athletic second baseman wearing Delaware’s unique blue and gold, comparisons to former Blue Hen and MLB All-Star Tom Herr were immediate and warranted.

A switch to shortstop his sophomore season didn’t compromise his ability to put bat onto ball. Buchholz continued to rack up more hits than Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus combined (Did you ever notice you never see both of them in the same place at the same time? Strange...). He raised his average to a hearty .387 which ranked 72nd in the country, while also ranking himself amongst the national leaders in 27 doubles (4th), 6 triples (27th) and RBI per game (28th at 1.15). He also added 11 homeruns to finish with a .689 slugging percentage. With a strong arm and ingrained baseball instincts, Buchholz played solid defense and even turned an unassisted triple play against the Hofstra Pride on March 24th.

Over the summer Buchholz played for the Youse’s Maryland Orioles of the Cal Ripken Sr. League. He batted .270 in the pitcher friendly league, placing him 15th overall. He had a league leading four sacrifice flies and also ranked high amongst the leaders in RBI and was nine of ten in stolen base attempts.

This season Buchholz has changed positions once again and is slated to fill the void left at third base with the graduation of last year’s starter, Ryan Jablonski. Like Buchholz did the year before, the versatile Kyle Davis will bring his supple leather and outstanding range from second base to shortstop. With his ability to play anywhere in the infield and ability to pitch in a pinch (he went 2-0 with a 4.91 ERA and two saves in six appearances as a freshman, striking out 14 batters in 18 innings), Buchholz was named to the 2008 Preseason All Ping! Team as a first unit selection at the utility position.

Another sensation season and Buchholz will undeniably have his name called in the first day of next year’s MLB amateur draft, filling his lifetime dream of playing professional baseball. A fate Blue Hen’s Head Coach Jim Sherman will face with bittersweet sentiment as his star student-athlete will be leaving campus for the professional ranks.

When asked about Buchholz, Sherman had nothing but praise, “This is a kid that does everything well on the baseball field – he’s the complete player. Alex has tremendous hand eye coordination and has the great ability to slow the game down. Never overmatched at the plate or defensively, he reminds me of Jeff Kent. I feel he has the opportunity to go in the first three rounds. He has all the making of a legitimate big leaguer!”

Not simply gifted as a baseball player, Buchholz’s athletic ability has transferred to other sports as well. In high school he also lettered in soccer and basketball, once making 11 three-pointers in a game for the Old Mill Patriots; however Buchholz admits, it took a lot of shots to make all those baskets.

The Blue Hens just missed a bid to the NCAA’s last season, when Virginia Commonwealth erupted for six runs in the 13th inning to capture the Colonial Athletic Assocation championship in the longest game in the 22-year history of the tournament. A situation Buchholz and the Hens hope to remedy this season. In the 2008 preseason coaches poll, Delaware garnished two of eleven first place votes and look to be in good shape, especially if few young pitchers and freshman can stop out to fill some of the spots vacated by four Blue Hens who were selected in last years’ MLB amateur draft. A fifth player, senior Mike McGuire (3-1, 4.26, 27 Ks in 31.2 IP) was also drafted, but returned to school.

Buchholz and the Blue Hens begin their season Feb. 22 against The Citadel, followed by a pair of doubleheaders the next weekend (March 1st and 2nd) against Princeton

http://www.pingbaseball.com/archive/player_buchholz.php
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 06-08-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Interview Andrew Means:

The Michigan Wolverines and their dual star Zach Putnam have been hoarding most of the national Big Ten baseball attention this preseason, however another upstart ballclub with a multi-talented athlete is quietly gaining attention in the conference as well. The Indiana Hoosiers’ Head Coach Tracy Smith is in the third year of a baseball renaissance in Bloomington that could have them once again challenging the thirty win plateau and beyond that they regularly achieved in the 80’s and 90’s under the helm of long time skipper Bob Morgan.

Last season Smith led an extremely young Hoosier team that featured 19 freshmen and six sophomores to a 19-win season which included series splits with two of the Big Ten’s top three teams, Penn State and Minnesota as well as a victory over CWS participant Louisville in Kentucky. Leading the Indiana charge was outfielder Andrew Means who not only led the Hoosier baseball team in batting average (.369), extra base hits (14), slugging percentage (.467) and stolen bases (27), but also made 448 catches for 559 yards (second on the team) as a wide receiver IU football team.

Not surprisingly, Head Hoosier Smith has nothing but praise for multi-talented star, "Andrew is one of the most organized and disciplined kids I've ever coached. If he wasn't, it would be very difficult for him to compete as a two-sport athlete at IU. The fact that he excels in both sports is a true testament to his talent, but more importantly to his work ethic. We have a saying in our program, 'If it were easy, everybody would do it.' I certainly tell you Andrew doesn't take the easy path.

Ping! was able to get in touch with Means when he wasn’t catching a pigskin or hitting horsehide to answer a few quick questions for the latest installment of Ping!’s Spotlight Interview:

PING!: So are you an outfielder who can also player wide receiver or a wide
    receiver who can play outfield?

Means: Honestly, I believe that there is no right way to answer that question. I say this because they both are pretty similar in what the job description is. A receiver's job is to run precise and crisp routes, catch all balls, and block in the run game. Being a centerfielder, you have to take control of the outfield the same way you do being a receiver in that you have to go up and get the ball in traffic. If I had to answer that question I would say I am a wide receiver playing outfield because there is nothing like making a spectacular catch on the football field, but at the same time it is an awesome feeling to make the spectacular catch on the diamond. It all translates from one sport to the other because it's basically that same concept.

PING!: They say the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball. However, what's harder to do? Facing Penn State's Drew O'Neil in the bottom of the ninth or breaking free to pull in a catch against the Buckeyes in the red zone at The Horseshoe?

Means: I agree that the hardest thing in sports is to hit a baseball. I would say they are both high on the "hardness" level, but at the same time you have to have the confidence in yourself that you will get that game winning hit or you will get that first down catch to move the chains. That's why I love to go against some of the best competition in the world, because when you do beat your competitor one-on-one, you know that you just beat one of the best, and it helps your team accomplish the goals they are shooting for at the same time. But, there is nothing like making that first down catch in the red zone and listening to 100,000 screaming fans suddenly go silent.

PING!: How has your time on the football field positively impacted your game on the diamond?

Means: I would say the main thing is competing against some of the best competition year round is something that helps me in both sports. Catching balls all year in football obviously helps my hand eye coordination when it's not baseball season. I go about 6 months without touching a baseball or a baseball bat. So it is tough to get back into baseball mode right after football season, but it helps being active in football. Using my god-given strengths, such as speed and strength, helps on the football field, but it carries over when I get to baseball and I am on the base paths or in the outfield.

PING!: You entered the IU baseball program at the same time as your head coach, Coach Smith. How has he helped you develop into the player you are today?

Means: Coach Smith is someone who has been there my whole career. I have had three different hitting coaches, and Skip has always been there for me when I get done with football. He is always there for me if I need something and it helps that I am very close with his family. He is a great coach and a great person at the same time. He wants what is best for us in life but also he will do whatever he has to do for us to achieve our goals. He is very understanding of me when I first get back to baseball from football - that I am not going to be the player I will be once the season starts up. He takes it slow with me, and for someone like me in my situation that means a lot. I am glad Coach Smith is here as the Coach of IU Baseball and he will do big things for this team.

PING!: Despite returning six starters and several pitchers, the '08 Hoosiers are still a relatively young team. As a junior and the leading offensive producer from last year's squad do you anticipate taking on more of a leadership role this season?

Means: When I was over at football all fall, Coach Smith called me and told me the team voted for captains that day and that I was selected to be one of the team's captains. It was a great tribute to my hard work on and off the field but also knowing that the team trusts you to be their leader is something special. I am going to lead this team with the way I play and perform on the field, but also I am going to mentor the younger guys to be the best they can be when they are my age and contributing to the team. That is something that I like to do because it is great helping others and seeing them grow into the player that they become as they get older.

PING!: Indiana's top two starters from last year, Tyler Tufts and Matt Bashore, will be back to pitch this upcoming season after putting up some good personal numbers last season. With their return, along with Chris Squires, Joe Vicini and Chris McCombs, how fortunate do you feel that you won't have to face the Hoosier pitchers this season?

Means: Very fortunate, and it's good that IU baseball is starting to get some recognition with these great pitchers. It is great to have them on my side but at the same time I have to face them during the week at practice, and it is great preparation getting ready for the games. We have a great pitching staff this year and I am excited to play defense behind them. It was hard my freshman and sophomore years because a lot of those guys were young and still going through the maturation process and now they have grown into solid Big Ten pitchers and it is great to see them accomplishing big things.

PING!: You and Evan Crawford and give IU a dangerous tandem of base thieves. Which of you would win in a race around the bases?

Means: Evan Crawford is a great baseball player with a lot of talent still to come. He is young and maturing and I think this year he will grow into himself and become one of the top shortstops in the league. It has been exciting watching Evan mature and grow into himself and he is someone to watch for in the near future. Now that I gave him all the props, I am going to have to say that I would win in a race around the bases. We always race in the 60-yard dash together, and he has yet to beat me. I am grateful to have been given the gift of speed and using it as a tool in the game of baseball is something I'm always going to be able to do.

PING!: Any games or road trips you'll especially looking forward to playing this season? Your opener in Baton Rouge should be a doozy of start.

Means: I can't wait to get this season started and I am looking forward to going to LSU. My mind is set on the first series with LSU along with the rest of the IU baseball team. We are excited to get this season going and can't wait to show the nation the new and improved Hoosiers

http://www.pingbaseball.com/archive/...drew_means.php

15th rounder from NJ - Erc Pfisterer

UPDATE: Bosco perfect in winning state title
    Saturday, June 7, 2008
    Last updated: Sunday June 8, 2008, EDT 12:18 PM
    BY ANDREW GROSS STAFF WRITER

TOMS RIVER – Eric Pfisterer begged for a few seconds to recover.

All around, his Don Bosco teammates were celebrating their Non-Public A state championship Saturday at Toms River North – a 5-4 win over Christian Brothers Academy to cap a historic perfect season. But after separating himself from the jubilant pile, the senior left-hander rolled to his back, staring up at the sun and the 100-degree rays it blasted onto the diamond.

“We knew it would be a battle,” Pfisterer said. “We knew it would take the heart of a champion to get out of it today.”

So Don Bosco (33-0) completed its trifecta – a State title, the honor of being the first undefeated Bergen team since Hackensack went 17-0 in 1950 as well as its third straight Bergen County tournament championship last weekend.

“It’s mind-numbing it’s so overwhelming,” senior catcher Ben Luderer said. “That this team plays 33 games and doesn’t lose one, especially against some very legitimate competition. It’s overwhelming.”

Pfisterer (10-0) earned the victory with four innings of relief, allowing five hits and an unearned run, after senior right-hander Mike Dennhardt, pitching on three days rest, labored through three innings in the heat

“Neither had their best stuff,” Luderer said. “The weather took a huge toll today.”

“(Pfisterer) picked me up in the game,” said Dennhardt, who left trailing 2-1 after junior Dan Avella launched a solo home run to right with two outs in the first and junior Zach Tanenbaum scored on a wild pitch in the second. “There’s nothing more I could ask for from this season.”

Luderer scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the sixth after leading off with a single to right.

He then went to second on junior Chris Picyk’s single and wound up scoring when CBA (20-9) botched a pickoff attempt at first. Picyk went 2 for 3 – he was ruled out in the second when senior courtesy runner Mike O’Keefe was called for runner’s interference at second – with an RBI-double in Don Bosco’s three-run fourth.

The Ironmen found a way despite their first three batters – senior Michael Vargas and juniors Anthony Gomez and Brett Knief collectively going an uncharacteristic 0 for 10. Senior cleanup hitter Steve Proscia did go 3 for 3 with two doubles and two runs scored.

“It was probably because of how we played and how they played,” Luderer said as the teams combined for four errors. “They (CBA) really had nothing to lose.”

And the Colts didn’t until Pfisterer pitched out of one final jam in the seventh. He walked sophomore pinch-hitter Mike Hanlon on four pitches to start the inning and Avella followed with a single with Hanlon going to third on Gomez’s throwing error.

But senior Stephen McSherry popped out to second, Tanenbaum struck out swinging at a 1-2 pitch and senior John Himmelman – who had laced Pfisterer’s first pitch of the day into center for a double – bounced out to short.

“I’m overwhelmed,” said Pfisterer, who, along with Dennhardt and Proscia were selected Friday in the Major League Baseball draft. “With everything that’s gone on in the last week, it’s been the best week of my life.”

E-mail: grossa@northjersey.com
    http://www.northjersey.com/hssports/...ate_title.html

If you use this link (the Bucholz stat link) and go to statstud.com and type your college player (most of them anyway) in the upper right corner and get a stats breakdown on most players here. Enjoy!

http://www.statstud.com/playerstatss...t=hitter&a=avg

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?