Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone willing to grade the 2008 Draft???

anyone willing to grade the 2008 Draft???

I'm by no means an expert and I pretty much depend on you guys Doug Dirt, OBM, WV Red, MarioRijo you guys do a great job posting good sound info, I was just wondering if you guys feel as good as I do about the draft? Ive been praying that the Reds would draft pitchers in the first 5 rounds and then draft the best power hitters they could find, so Im tickled pink and have absolutely no complaints. Every year I would like the early round focus to be on good solid pitching and then power hitters and I dont care what position they play because if a guy can slug teams will either want that guy in a trade or you can find a spot for him. So of course just looking at the top 10 picks (4 out of first 6 pitchers) I give this team an A+.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: anyone willing to grade the 2008 Draft???

I am not thrilled so much about the middle rounds, but if they can sign two of the high school pitchers they took between rounds 15 and 50, it would get a significant upgrade. Again though, its too early to give it much of a grade because it all depends on who signs.

IMO, the draft isn't over until Aug 15th when we see who actually signed. I agree with Doug that the draft could be pretty strong if they sign some of the later round fliers like Peterson. Realistically, I don't see the Reds offering much over slot money, though so I'm not real hopeful there.

It's early like DD said but even more than that the Reds have a proclivity for drafting somewhat seldom used arms (i.e. fresh arms) so they are usually tough to gauge until they have had some time in the system.

I think it's fair to say though that the Reds are definitely in search mode for bullpen arms and leadoff hitter/cf/ss types, which is a need throughout the system. And I know you are not supposed to draft for need persay but it looks as though they have to some extent. I felt they perhaps chose some suspect guys to fit a position(s) of need when there was some higher ceiling types ava. But I have very limited info to base that on so I'll just say that's my opinion.

So based on that I would grade their philosophy and not what they got. I would say their philosphy is a B-/C+ overall and in this instance if you put a gun to my head.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 06-07-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

When we look at drafts in retrospect, we're usually pretty happy if we get two decent major leaguers out of it. Anything after the 15th round is really a shot in the dark. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Day 1...I'd probably give the Reds an A-/B+ just based on talent and projectability. Day 2, I was not so impressed. I know a lot of it is a crapshoot, but I thought they could've done better. I'd probably give day 2 a C/C-. Of course, actually signing the players trump everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Day 1...I'd probably give the Reds an A-/B+ just based on talent and projectability. Day 2, I was not so impressed. I know a lot of it is a crapshoot, but I thought they could've done better. I'd probably give day 2 a C/C-. Of course, actually signing the players trump everything else.
    I'd agree with that immediate impression. Who they sign in Day 2 is what could change that grade significantly. There are a couple guys who are almost certain to go to college, imo, that could change everything if they signed. Of course, that's true of about every team's 2nd day draft.

For me, it's Alonso and cross your fingers another player or two emerges. The lack of a 2nd rounder and no supplementals puts this draft behind a bit, at least out of the gate. As others have noted, let's see how well they do getting them signed.

I'd love to see Sappelt or Means show something, and I'm curious about the Cline kid, but for the most part the amateur haul so far this year (Latin signings still to come in July) comes down to two players for me -- Alonso and Duran.

Im going to call this draft and additions to the minors an A+, I love all the pitchers added thru the draft and the Jr-Dunn trades and the power of Alonso is a bonus pick IMO, next year I hope they use their top 5 picks on flame throwing type pitchers

my top 10 as of 8-16-08

Alonso
    Bailey
    Frazier
    Stubbs
    Soto
    Lotzkar
    Owings
    Thompson
    Mesoraco
    Duran

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    my top 10 as of 8-16-08

Alonso
    Bailey
    Frazier
    Stubbs
    Soto
    Lotzkar
    Owings
    Thompson
    Mesoraco
    Duran
    So Yorman Rodriguez falls just off the list?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm not sure what you're using to qualify players, but for the record, Micah Owings isn't a rookie this year, and Homer Bailey is currently in his rookie year.

Without thinking about it too much, here's my current top ten:

1. Yonder Alonso
    2. Todd Frazier
    3. Juan Duran
    4. Yorman Rodriguez
    5. Kyle Lotzkar
    6. Drew Stubbs
    7. Daryl Thompson
    8. Devin Mesoraco
    9. Danny Dorn
    10. Neftali Soto

. . . and a ton of honorable mentions.

1.Alonso
    2.Soto
    3.Frazier
    4.Stubbs
    5.Lotzkar
    6.Mesoraco
    7.Valaika
    8.Josh Roenicke
    9.Henry
    10.Stewart/Fransisco

Duran and Yorman would make the list, but to young right now to consider for the list for me

regardless, after losing the big 4 from this list, it seems Buckley and company have revamped and restocked our farm system, and have probably secured our spot at least in the top 10 again, maybe even top 5

08 draft = safe

Alonso and Stewart are nearly finished products -- seeing as how one is a 1B and the other a relief pitcher, the only chasnce they become true core players is if Alonso emerges as a middle of the lineup force and Stewart emerges as a closer -- if not, it's still likely you'll still get something out of both. Also great to see them successfully throw money at a couple of tough late round signs

It works well in balance with the higher risk investments in Latin America

Turn Off Ads?