Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008

Re: Euro 2008

The Dutch are putting on a clinic today.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    The Dutch are putting on a clinic today.
    Absolutely terrible formation and starting 11 from the Italians. How Del Piero doesn't figure is beyond me. I don't really care if he doesn't want to play out wide on the left. Play him and give him the freedom to get in the middle.

Pirlo and Ambrosoni are just not good right now. Pirlo had a bad Serie A season and he's not exactly playing well now. Just too old and not exactly good.

It also doesn't help when you are shell shocked by one of the worst non calls I have ever seen. Still they clearly are the lesser of the two sides.
    Last edited by Cedric; 06-09-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

It was weird watching France without Zidane, Henry, or Barthez. The FRance-Romania match was one of the more boring I've seen in a while on this kind of stage. The French team looked flat, kind of like they did in the group stage of the 06 World Cup.

Italy, the odds-on favorite for the tourney, is probably going to have to win both games against France and Romania with a -3 goal differential. They're capable of doing it, but it's not going to be easy. I know I won't shed any tears if they wind up not advancing.

The Dutch (and Nigeria) have been my favorite international team since the 1998 World Cup, so I'm hoping they can be the Greece of 2008.
    Last edited by MWM; 06-10-2008 at 01:41 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Absolutely terrible formation and starting 11 from the Italians. How Del Piero doesn't figure is beyond me. I don't really care if he doesn't want to play out wide on the left. Play him and give him the freedom to get in the middle.

Pirlo and Ambrosoni are just not good right now. Pirlo had a bad Serie A season and he's not exactly playing well now. Just too old and not exactly good.

It also doesn't help when you are shell shocked by one of the worst non calls I have ever seen. Still they clearly are the lesser of the two sides.
    I wonder if the side judge counted the downed Italian sitting next to the goal as a defender. That was the only explanation I could see.

I wonder if the side judge counted the downed Italian sitting next to the goal as a defender. That was the only explanation I could see.
    The rule is a little sketchy. If a player goes off the field on their own, then they are supposed to be 'in play.' If the player is off injured, then they our not 'in play.'

Panucci was obviously stunned when he got clobbered by his own goalie, but the shot that was redirected was merely seconds after the collision. That's asking a lot for a line judge to determine in a blink of an eye.

The biggest problem for Italy, IMO, was that their defense was exposed without Cannavaro. They also should have started DeRossi over Ambrosini.
    The Italians created a lot of chances, but Van Der Saar was on his game.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I liked that the ref took the "get yer butt up" approach on that play. Panucci should know that defenders are afforded no drama.

The Dutch looked great, though they looked great in their first game at the last World Cup too and then got progressively worse. It was nice to see that sort of positive football.

The good news for the Italians is, even though they got outplayed, they could have poached two goals easily if it weren't for Edwin van der Sar.

Spain and Russia should be entertaining today. The Spanish play a pretty game and Guus Hiddink will surely have a game plan to attack them (counter attack more likely). Cesc Fabregas, Xabi Alonso, Daniel Guiza, Raul Albiol and Pepe Reina are on the Spanish bench. Guti and Raul are at home. That team has sick depth.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Spain scores first on a quick strike play rather than a 30-pass build up. Torres and Villa played a real pretty combo. Theoretically they form the most dangerous striker duo in the tournament.

And now Russia's banged the ball off the post for what could have been an equalizer. We've got us an action game.

And another quick strike from the Spanish. Iniesta blew apart the Russian defense with a feed to David Villa, who did a superior of keeping himself onside. Even though it's 2-0, the Russians haven't been dormant. They just haven't quite had the timing on that final pass.
    Last edited by M2; 06-10-2008 at 12:50 PM.

That has made my day .

Watching the Czech team is kind of sad. That was a dynamite club for about a decade with Nedved, Poborsky and Smicer. Now Koller looks like he's no longer the force he was and something has disappeared from Baros' game. Add in Rosicky's inability to stay healthy for more than a week at a time and there isn't much left from the glory days. The Turks should be embarrassed if they can't put that team away.

What an ending to the Swiss/Turkey game. That was quite a defensive lapse by the Swiss right at the end of the game. Lots of standing around.

And have I ever mentioned how much I can't stand Cristiano Ronaldo.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by RawOwl UK View Post

That has made my day .
    We're yanks, cut us some slack.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Croatia beat Germany today, which throws that entire bracket into turmoil. It also might mean Germany plays Portugal (vying for the title of most impressive team in the tournament so far) in the quarterfinals, which would be an absolute clash of the titans.

Romania pulls a 1-1 draw with Italy. Looks like the Italy-France matchup is going to be a big one again! Someone call Zidane to see if he wants to unretire.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Henry had a golden opportunity to equalize against the Dutch.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?