Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 143

Thread: Euro 2008

  1. #31
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Euro 2008

    Man, it is a Dutch world in this tournament. 2-0.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,282

    Re: Euro 2008

    Wow... counter 15 seconds after France got back in the game

  4. #33
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Romania pulls a 1-1 draw with Italy. Looks like the Italy-France matchup is going to be a big one again! Someone call Zidane to see if he wants to unretire.
    Could just once the officials get an offside call correct. If your best officials in a top tournament can't get one of the most important rules in your sport correct, then you have a problem.

    I can't stand the offsides rule -- not the rule itself -- but the inability of linesmen to ever get the call right.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  5. #34
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Euro 2008

    I've watched almost every minute of the tournament (I love teaching), and this might be the most attractive soccer I've seen in years. I could watch the Dutch, Germans, Spanish, and Portuguese play all day. Fabulous stuff.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  6. #35
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've watched almost every minute of the tournament (I love teaching), and this might be the most attractive soccer I've seen in years. I could watch the Dutch, Germans, Spanish, and Portuguese play all day. Fabulous stuff.
    I haven't watched every minute, but I've seen a lot of good soccer over the last week. Even Austria-Poland, which most would find a snoozefest, was fun to watch. Korkmaz for the Austrians had some moves that were a joy to watch. In the games I've watched, it seems there has been less diving and simulation than there was in the World Cup. I love watching guys beat the defense on some beautiful dribbling or a well turned give and go rather than waiting for a challenge and falling all over themselves and writhing on the ground like an idiot. The one thing that seems odd is that teams seem to have issues with finishing, unless you are Dutch. I've seen a number of chances where a player has no one but the goalie to beat and he flubs it.

    But those Dutch. . . I must say the way their playing it makes you almost want to go out and buy one of those orange jerseys.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  7. #36
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Could just once the officials get an offside call correct. If your best officials in a top tournament can't get one of the most important rules in your sport correct, then you have a problem.

    I can't stand the offsides rule -- not the rule itself -- but the inability of linesmen to ever get the call right.
    Which offsides call/non-call are you referring to? The non-call against Van Nistelroy in the game against NDL or the call against Luca Toni today v. Romania? I think the Van Nistelroy goal w/ Panucci off the field is one that will have to be clarified after the tournament. Personally I think it was justified in calling it onside because Panucci had been thrown out of the way by Buffon himself (if you want to rule by whether it was intentional), but it's the same with any rule or statute when something happens that hasn't happened before: the powers that be put their heads together and figure out how it should be handled in the future. Today's call against Toni was bad, but I haven't seen an overabundance of bad calls. I've seen a number of teams get burned trying to set the offside trap, but I'd rather see them let it go if its close. Nothing slows things down more than a slew of offsides calls on close plays.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  8. #37
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Nothing slows things down more than a slew of offsides calls on close plays.
    ESPN's wrap up show does a great job showing the plays. The Toni play today is unforgiveable. The ref and linesman were in perfect position and it wasn't even close to offside. One of ESPN's crew said that there have been 4 goals called back by bad offside calls in this tournament so far, and all 4 teams lost. The refs must be held to a higher standard.

    Also, the Dutch benefited from a horrible non-call on a handball in the penalty area. France should've had a penalty shot when the game was 1-0. I'm not saying that France would've won, but who knows.

    I can understand a bad call or two over the course of a tournament, but not what we're seeing here. These aren't "close" calls. They should be obvious to top officials.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  9. #38
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    But those Dutch. . . I must say the way their playing it makes you almost want to go out and buy one of those orange jerseys.
    If only they weren't around $90...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  10. #39
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    ESPN's wrap up show does a great job showing the plays. The Toni play today is unforgiveable. The ref and linesman were in perfect position and it wasn't even close to offside. One of ESPN's crew said that there have been 4 goals called back by bad offside calls in this tournament so far, and all 4 teams lost. The refs must be held to a higher standard.

    Also, the Dutch benefited from a horrible non-call on a handball in the penalty area. France should've had a penalty shot when the game was 1-0. I'm not saying that France would've won, but who knows.

    I can understand a bad call or two over the course of a tournament, but not what we're seeing here. These aren't "close" calls. They should be obvious to top officials.
    I haven't seen all four goals that were called back on offsides. I saw the Toni goal and I'll agree. As far as refs at this level making bad calls, it was complained about all the time at the World Cup 2006. I'm guilty of complaining about the refs too. I think we'd like the refs to be perfect, but it's much more difficult that you'd expect. I think missing calls happens more often than we realize, but we tend to forget because they even out over time. Italy gets hosed by a bad call this game, they get the benefit of a bad call the next game.

    I think what I care about more than missed calls is controlling the flow of play. I like to see play moving, with refs stepping in at appropriate times to keep players from mauling each other. If they keep a lid on diving, simulating, and cheap shot fouls so that players can win the game with their ball skills rather than their acting skills or brute force, I'm content to let some missed calls slide.

    I have noticed a lot of teams playing high on defense to try and set an offsides trap, so that might have something to do with the offsides calls too. I think the only way you get rid of the errors is to allow instant replay on goals. Maybe some day they'll put chips in the players' shoes and have sensors on the sidelines determine where a player is. When the offense is behind the defense, a light will turn on in the booth. If the light's on when the ball is struck, offsides.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

  11. #40
    Member improbus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    2,089

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I haven't seen all four goals that were called back on offsides. I saw the Toni goal and I'll agree. As far as refs at this level making bad calls, it was complained about all the time at the World Cup 2006. I'm guilty of complaining about the refs too. I think we'd like the refs to be perfect, but it's much more difficult that you'd expect. I think missing calls happens more often than we realize, but we tend to forget because they even out over time. Italy gets hosed by a bad call this game, they get the benefit of a bad call the next game.

    I think what I care about more than missed calls is controlling the flow of play. I like to see play moving, with refs stepping in at appropriate times to keep players from mauling each other. If they keep a lid on diving, simulating, and cheap shot fouls so that players can win the game with their ball skills rather than their acting skills or brute force, I'm content to let some missed calls slide.

    I have noticed a lot of teams playing high on defense to try and set an offsides trap, so that might have something to do with the offsides calls too. I think the only way you get rid of the errors is to allow instant replay on goals. Maybe some day they'll put chips in the players' shoes and have sensors on the sidelines determine where a player is. When the offense is behind the defense, a light will turn on in the booth. If the light's on when the ball is struck, offsides.
    Offsides might be the hardest thing to call in sports. You have to know when the ball is kicked and where the players are lined up, within inches. I do not envy the refs. What compounds it is that an individual offsides call can impact a soccer game more than any other call in any other sport because goals are so hard to come by.

    I do hope that some of these calls start getting cleared up, but I have to say that it hasn't ruined the experience of watching the games for me.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

  12. #41
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,448

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I've watched almost every minute of the tournament (I love teaching), and this might be the most attractive soccer I've seen in years. I could watch the Dutch, Germans, Spanish, and Portuguese play all day. Fabulous stuff.
    Thanks to the magic of DVR I've seen been able to see almost every minute too.

    Historically speaking, when the Dutch are on their game no one looks better (well, maybe the Brazilians). Check out some Johan Cruyff videos on YouTube sometime. Anyway, it's nice to see them become the executioner inside the group of death.

    The Spanish get a test today with the Swedes. On paper the Spanish have the best attack duo, the best keeper, a top five midfield and a top five back line. Of course the whole never seems to equal the sum of its parts with that team. I expect the Spanish will win that group and then face a sterner test with the second place finisher in the Dutch group. Theoretically it should be the winner of France-Italy, but the Romanians could sneak in there (e.g. France and Italy fight to a draw and Romania manages to lose by two or less against the Dutch). If that happens, then I'd say Spain's in trouble because Romania is exactly the kind of team that could catch an overconfident Spanish side napping.

    The Croats are looking real strong and they should handle the Turks or Czechs in the quarterfinals.

    Right now the Portuguese are my pick to win the whole thing. They can attack, they can play the possession in the midfield, Ricardo's a big game keeper, and Pepe and Carvalho are the cream of the crop, IMO, when it comes to central defense. They've got a lot of ways to beat you. Of course, the Germans might be the toughest matchup for them and that's who it looks like they'll be getting in the quarters.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  13. #42
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Euro 2008

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Historically speaking, when the Dutch are on their game no one looks better (well, maybe the Brazilians).
    Totally agree. Dennis Bergkamp converted me to the orange in 1998 and I've really enjoyed watching them ever since.

    Thanks to the DVR I've also been able to watch just about every minute of every game. Unfortunately, one of my German colleagues who I talk soccer with quite a bit came over complaining about the German loss to Croatia, so I didn't bother watching that one.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  14. #43
    Member redhawkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami township
    Posts
    547

    Re: Euro 2008

    Spain up 1-0 over Sweden in 1st half.

  15. #44
    Member redhawkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami township
    Posts
    547

    Re: Euro 2008

    Sweden just tied it up 1-1 30 seconds after my previous post.

  16. #45
    Hisssssssss Yachtzee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Land of the Lost
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Euro 2008

    Something I've noticed: When did the tune to "7th Nation Army" replace "Ole, Ole-Ole-Ole" as the primary soccer chant?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25