Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008

Re: Euro 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Nike's style department often does goofy things. They were probably bored with messing around with the latest Oregon Ducks uniforms and thought they'd spruce up the Dutch uniforms. I think they look like third-graders got into dad's masking tape. Of course Puma has their teams, including hosts Switzerland and Austria, rocking pixelated "anti-aliased" numbers. It looks like someone was trying to be too fancy with photo shop and used the .jpg file for the template instead of the .gif. Adidas probably has the better looking jersey fonts in this tournament.
    I might be in the minority but I like the numbering on the Nike jerseys. It does have that "Rec" league feel, which is cool. If it weren't for the $90 price tag and the half-collar colored like the Dutch flag, I would buy one.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What is funny is that the Spanish were most dangerous counter-attacking, not during their marathon ball-hogging passing sessions This may sound counter-intuitive, but they might have done better off letting the Swede's have some of the ball. When Spain was passing the ball around the pitch, Sweden was able to keep its defensive shape and put 9-10 guys behind the ball. But, after they went forward, the Spanish were able to catch the Swede's out of shape. Just a thought.
    You're 100% right, but the Spanish are stubborn. They believe in their skill above all else. Tactics? That's for the unworthies. It's what makes them fascinating to watch. They can own the ball against anyone, even Brazil and Argentina, but, as you pointed out, it allows the opposition to keep an organized defensive shape.

Invariably, in a tournament they run into a game where they can't pick the padlock and where the opponent hits on a counterattack or two. I think it's kind of funny that Spain so far has scored most of its Euro goals on quick strike counters. There is a lesson there. It allows Torres and Villa to run at the net. That vertical style is the chief reason Torres was such a sensation with Liverpool.

And notice who springs those vertical attacks for Spain, the outer backs. It's Sergio Ramos and Joan Capdevilla, not the midfielders. When the ball gets to Xavi, the offense slows to a crawl. It's the main difference between Real Madrid and Barcelona the past two years in La Liga. Real knows how to pounce while Barca tries to score impossibly beautiful goals (something they do a lot). Spain could really use Guti, Mikel Arteta or Ariel Ibigaza - players skilled in springing attackers.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You're 100% right, but the Spanish are stubborn. They believe in their skill above all else. Tactics? That's for the unworthies. It's what makes them fascinating to watch. They can own the ball against anyone, even Brazil and Argentina, but, as you pointed out, it allows the opposition to keep an organized defensive shape.

Invariably, in a tournament they run into a game where they can't pick the padlock and where the opponent hits on a counterattack or two. I think it's kind of funny that Spain so far has scored most of its Euro goals on quick strike counters. There is a lesson there. It allows Torres and Villa to run at the net. That vertical style is the chief reason Torres was such a sensation with Liverpool.

And notice who springs those vertical attacks for Spain, the outer backs. It's Sergio Ramos and Joan Capdevilla, not the midfielders. When the ball gets to Xavi, the offense slows to a crawl. It's the main difference between Real Madrid and Barcelona the past two years in La Liga. Real knows how to pounce while Barca tries to score impossibly beautiful goals (something they do a lot). Spain could really use Guti, Mikel Arteta or Ariel Ibigaza - players skilled in springing attackers.
    I would also say that David Silva was a black hole. He almost dribbled the game away.

I would also say that David Silva was a black hole. He almost dribbled the game away.
    He certainly needed to do better when it comes to delivering a dangerous ball, but his energy was outstanding. I believe he covered more of the field than anybody else on the pitch in that game, something on the order of a km more than the next best guy.

Part of his problem was the Swedes. It's not easy to dribble around an entire forest of giant defenders. Another part was Xavi and Iniesta were constantly stationed behind him ("Hey, pass it back here!"). He was moving forward and they weren't joining the attack. He had a lot more to work with when Cesc and Cazorla got on the field. To Silva's credit, he at least attacked down the wings and tried to lash crosses into the middle. Iniesta didn't hit a single cross all game.

This is where I once again lament the absence of Guti. He makes quick decisions and dissects a tightly packed defense as well as anyone on the planet. You could still have Silva running the opposition ragged out on the wing, but he needed a player with whom he could work quick hitters and switches. Xavi's not that guy.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm both excited and worried about the Italy v. France today. I'm afraid that it will be an ugly snooze-fest with few scoring chances, chippy play, and lots of diving. In other words, I expect a repeat of the World Cup Final....

I'm both excited and worried about the Italy v. France today. I'm afraid that it will be an ugly snooze-fest with few scoring chances, chippy play, and lots of diving. In other words, I expect a repeat of the World Cup Final....
    The final was pretty electric if I remember correctly -- I'd guess close to 30 shots on goal. At a few of which that hit the post. Much better than the France-Brazil game, which was a snoozefest. And Domenech's constant attacks on the Italians makes for good theater as well.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    The final was pretty electric if I remember correctly -- I'd guess close to 30 shots on goal. At a few of which that hit the post. Much better than the France-Brazil game, which was a snoozefest. And Domenech's constant attacks on the Italians makes for good theater as well.
    I liked the WC final too. Zidane had a sterling game and the French kept attacking down the wings. The Italians play rope-a-dope for the most part, but the skill level on the field was immense.

I liked the WC final too. Zidane had a sterling game and the French kept attacking down the wings. The Italians play rope-a-dope for the most part, but the skill level on the field was immense.
    Today's games are interesting because Donadoni and Van Basten are good friends from their Milan days, and Van Basten vowed to play his best lineup to beat Romania. I think Holland, like Portugal, earned the right to rest its starters. Frankly, they're so deep it may not matter. Against France it was Holland's substitutes that ignited the offense.

If Italy doesn't advance, Donadoni is likely finished as coach despite recently signing an extension. Lippi, who resigned after the World Cup, would return.

Italy up 1-0; France down to 10 men on a red card.

Also, Ribery is out of the game. Apparently he seriously injured himself getting tangled up with Zambrotta. Things looking bad for the French and the game is only 25 minutes old.

Awful sub by Domenech after Abidal got sent off with a red card. I understand bringing in a central defender to replace Abidal, but when you're down 1-0 and a player in a must-wim game, don't pull one of your most creative players in Nasri. He should have pulled a defensive midfielder like Makelele or Toulalan. His team needs two goals and it's only got three players who can do much damage on the pitch.

Holland takes a 1-0 lead over Romania. Italy could qualify with a 1-1 tie if Romania loses.

2-0 Italy. DeRossi with a free-kick that's deflected in off Henry.

Toni could've scored at least three goals today if he could finish.

2-0 Italy. DeRossi with a free-kick that's deflected in off Henry.

Toni could've scored at least three goals today if he could finish.
    Toni is either having the best awful game I've seen or the worst great game. I can't decide which one. He did a crackerjack job of collapsing like he'd been hit by a sniper rather than taking a shot on net to set up the penalty shot in the first half.

Henry's touch on that second goal was sublime, too bad the ball went into his own net instead of the Italians'. I guess he can at least claim his scoring instinct is so keen he can't shut it off even when he's playing defense.
    Last edited by M2; 06-17-2008 at 05:23 PM.

He did a crackerjack job of collapsing like he'd been hit by a sniper rather than taking a shot on net to set up the penalty shot in the first half.
    So are you saying it wasn't a foul, because the defender earned a straight red.

Gattuso and Pirlo will not be able to play in the Spain game (accumulated yellow cards) if these results hold.

So are you saying it wasn't a foul, because the defender earned a straight red.
    No, it was a foul, but I don't find it all that admirable that Toni's first instinct was to mimic Marcelo Mastroianni and not Roberto Baggio. I think that a determined striker, especially with Toni's size, could have shaken off Abidal and scored a goal in that situation.

Turn Off Ads?