Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I wouldn't be surprised if they try Yonder at 3rd

Re: I wouldn't be surprised if they try Yonder at 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Wow. Just wow. Clearly logic wasn't the way to go. You are saying that until he does it, he's not capable of doing it. I'm sorry, but that's wrong. Playing time and performance/ability are not the same thing. We'll have to agree to disagree. I'll just let it drop.
    Logic has nothing to do with your point of Jeff Keppinger...

I don't want to make you think I am a jerk and I hope you aren't taking offense to what I am posting... But Logic?

Jeff Keppinger hasn't done what you say he is capable of doing...

So Logic has nothing to do with it...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Logic has nothing to do with your point of Jeff Keppinger...

I don't want to make you think I am a jerk and I hope you aren't taking offense to what I am posting... But Logic?

Jeff Keppinger hasn't done what you say he is capable of doing...

So Logic has nothing to do with it...
    Well I have never built a website about the Dodgers, but my past history would certainly suggest that I could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So a guy has to be an all star to be an every day player? Guys that go .300/.400 with 15 HR, 80 RBI, 100 runs, 200 hits and 40 doubles, well those guys are very rare.

That player is so rare that it has been done all of 5 times since 2000. Todd Helton (twice), Albert Pujols, Magglio Ordonez and Matt Holiday. Thats it. Pretty steep expectations don't you think?

A player doesn't have to be an All-Star to be an everyday player...

And I apologize if you think that I think Kepp must go .300/.400 15-80- 100 runs-200 hits 40 doubles to be worthy of anything...

He doesn't have to accomplish those exact numbers to change my mind...

My point is he hasn't even had a full major league season to go off... He has 1/2 of 1 season, last year... And if really wasnt a half... more like almost a half... and he has 2 other stints with the Mets and Royals...

If you want Jeff out there 150 times a year starting... More power to ya...

I'd rather have a better player... IMO Jeff Keppinger is a back up.

Well I have never built a website about the Dodgers, but my past history would certainly suggest that I could do it.
    What?

What?
    Jeff Keppingers past history suggest he can do these things you say he can't just because he hasn't. My argument was that just because I haven't built a website about the Dodgers doesn't mean I can't when my history in the general area would suggest that I certainly could.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If you want Jeff out there 150 times a year starting... More power to ya...

I'd rather have a better player... IMO Jeff Keppinger is a back up.
    Hondo, I still don't get this. Playing time = Performance? How does the number of at bats he's gotten tell us about how good of a player he is? You seem to be confusing the number of at bats he's gotten with how well he's played.

If he gets more at bats, and continues to play as well as he has played so far, he's basically a small step down from being an all-star caliber player. So if you accept less than an all-star as a starter, then Keppinger is good enough to be a starter. That he hasn't been one yet doesn't change that.

If you are saying that he hasn't performed well enough in the playing time he's been given, well that's a conversation I've addressed twice over. Keppinger, so far in his career, has performed as well as the players who you claim he's not as good as. The only differentiator is that Keppinger has not been given the playing time that they have. If Keppinger was given 700 PA in a season, he'd put up numbers that look an awful lot like Michael Young's. He just hasn't been given the chance. So what exactly could he do to merit a starting job for you?
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-09-2008 at 06:16 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Jeff Keppingers past history suggest he can do these things you say he can't just because he hasn't. My argument was that just because I haven't built a website about the Dodgers doesn't mean I can't when my history in the general area would suggest that I certainly could.
    Um, ok... Your ability to build the website and the "unkown" of what Jeff Keppinger can do consistantly over 2-3 Full playing years are so far apart...

It isn't even close to the same thing... Not even...

Go back. Take a deep deep breath. Ponder this... Post me back tommorow...

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Hondo, I still don't get this. Playing time = Performance? How does the number of at bats he's gotten tell us about how good of a player he is? You seem to be confusing the number of at bats he's gotten with how well he's played.

If he gets more at bats, and continues to play as well as he has played so far, he's basically a small step down from being an all-star caliber player. So if you accept less than an all-star as a starter, then Keppinger is good enough to be a starter. That he hasn't been one yet doesn't change that.

If you are saying that he hasn't performed well enough in the playing time he's been given, well that's a conversation I've addressed twice over. Keppinger, so far in his career, has performed as well as the players who you claim he's not as good as. The only differentiator is that Keppinger has not been given the playing time that they have. If Keppinger was given 700 PA in a season, he'd put up numbers that look an awful lot like Michael Young's. He just hasn't been given the chance. So what exactly could he do to merit a starting job for you?
    Wrong. Let him play and get the 500-600 AB's or 700 PA's before you sit there and tell me he is a full time player... Then you will find out his performance... Then he has to do it again, and be consistant over 140-162 Games a year...

He is a back up.

Um, ok... Your ability to build the website and the "unkown" of what Jeff Keppinger can do consistantly over 2-3 Full playing years are so far apart...

It isn't even close to the same thing... Not even...

Go back. Take a deep deep breath. Ponder this... Post me back tommorow...
    not really. In both cases one has shown the ability to do such things but neither has actually done it. What makes you think that Keppinger all of a sudden will not be able to hit if he gets to 500-600 AB's in a season?

Wrong. Let him play and get the 500-600 AB's or 700 PA's before you sit there and tell me he is a full time player... Then you will find out his performance... Then he has to do it again, and be consistant over 140-162 Games a year...

He is a back up.
    Your logic is really, really flawed. Jay Bruce and Joey Votto aren't full time players either by your logic.

Your logic is really, really flawed. Jay Bruce and Joey Votto aren't full time players either by your logic.
    My Logic is not flawed my friend.

Votto and Bruce are Young up and coming guys... Kepp is not even a Prospect...

Man, he is a Role Player... A servicable Major Leaguer... Not some Batting Title contender you make him out to be...

Jeff Keppinger has 565 career atbats which is pretty much a full seasons worth of atbats. His statline in those 565 atbats is .313/.368/.441 - .809 OPS. I'd say he's pretty much proving he can be more than a role player.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

My Logic is not flawed my friend.

Votto and Bruce are Young up and coming guys... Kepp is not even a Prospect...

Man, he is a Role Player... A servicable Major Leaguer... Not some Batting Title contender you make him out to be...
    I never once made him out to be a batting title contender, but while we are at it..... yeah, he could be. Guys with his skillset generally hit for a high average. He will need to qualify for the batting title, but he certainly has the skillset to be one and has shown the ability to hit for a strong average.

As for a role player, maybe he is best suited for that role on our team. However if Brandon Phillips or Chase Utley isn't your starting second baseman, odds are he makes a very strong argument that he should be starting there on nearly every team in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jeff Keppinger has 565 career atbats which is pretty much a full seasons worth of atbats. His statline in those 565 atbats is .313/.368/.441 - .809 OPS. I'd say he's pretty much proving he can be more than a role player.
    That is over parts of 4 seasons...

I never once made him out to be a batting title contender, but while we are at it..... yeah, he could be. Guys with his skillset generally hit for a high average. He will need to qualify for the batting title, but he certainly has the skillset to be one and has shown the ability to hit for a strong average.

As for a role player, maybe he is best suited for that role on our team. However if Brandon Phillips or Chase Utley isn't your starting second baseman, odds are he makes a very strong argument that he should be starting there on nearly every team in the NL.
    Ok, If Jeff Keppinger is your starting 2nd baseman, you are basically buying a Taurus to Drive and showing the rest of the world you are giving up...

If Jeff Keppinger gets 550-600 AB's in 1 year...

I bet he'll have a pretty decent OB%... But his stat line is going to be more like .280-.285, 10-12 homers, 65-75 RBI, and he is going to have like 150-160 hits... and thats fine... But I think he is basically a role player for any team...

Turn Off Ads?