Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Francisco Cordero Save %

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Francisco Cordero Save %

Coco is a decent closer, he's pitched well; but he'd be one of the first I'd try to move.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Awesome. We paid an average closer 46 million dollars.
    Closer isn't a position. The position is relief pitcher. Closers are just the cream of the crop as far a relief pitchers go.

An average closer is one of the 10-15 best relief pitchers in baseball. That's what we payed $46 million for and that's about the going rate. You can argue that closers in general aren't worth what they're payed, but we were in a desperate situation. Our bullpen was horrible in 07. We needed somebody to stabilize it, and I'd say Cordero's delivered exactly that.

Cordero is worth $35-$40 million in my book, but that's only to a competitive team. We overpaid because of our situation and the skin-thin pitching market last year. WKs only mistake was overestimating our chances to compete, but he was feeling pressure from ownership to win now, so the move made sense in that context.
    Last edited by TN Red Fan; 06-08-2008 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Awesome. We paid an average closer 46 million dollars.
    Then again, you have to overpay to get even decent pitchers to come here, because of the bidding war of large market teams, the fact this team is rarely competitve and players want to go to a competitive team, and the GRAND idea of building a stadium that is a launching pad for whatever comes off the bat.

How many players are going to say:

"Hey this Cincy club is offering me average pay to come to a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in over a decade, and hasn't had a winning team in almost as long. Not only that but I get to play in a launching pad for a stadium that will no doubt inflate my ERA, not to mention if I'm lucky, on any given night there will be enough fans there to make it halfway full. Where do I sign up!"

Hmm ... and you wonder exactly why you have to offer good chunks of money to get players?

Without looking at stats, I feel alot more comfortable with our bullpen this year than in years previous.

It was a tough loss. It happens.

Turn Off Ads?