Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Valaika or Frazier play CF?

Can Valaika or Frazier play CF?

I know they haven't in the past, but I was wondering about converting either Valaika or Frazier to CF. Neither one has a concrete position that they can play in the big leagues at this point, and since they both have the athleticism to play SS at the major college level (and the lower minors), I was wondering if either could be converted to a CF a la Adam Jones and David Espinosa. It would certainly go a long ways towards resolving the position glut the Reds have throughout their system at 1B/3B/LF. Thoughts?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Valaika or Frazier play CF?

I don't really know if either could play CF but I thought the reason they was moved off SS was because they didn't have the athleticism to play it.

No, they can't.

The question re: Valaika is, can he play SS?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Frazier, no he is a corner guy, too big

Valaika, eh maybe, wouldn't count on it. The reason for him moving off SS, he hasn't yet, is b/c lack of first step quickness which may be attributed to knee surgery he had a few years back.

If Valaika's bat continues to be as good as it has, and if he can provide at least Keppinger like defense, I wouldn't have a problem giving him ABs at SS.

I'd keep Valaika in the Middle of the infield as long as possible. I still have seen no reason to believe he can't be at least an average SS.

I still believe that Phillips should go to SS and Valaika goes to 2B. I think that could be a great Middle infield with some solid bats. The Reds seem content leaving BP at 2B though...

I think CV could play CF well, Fraizer is definately a corner INF or OF

Why Can't Bruce continue to play CF for a few years? He has the best speed of the bunch.

I have seen Bruce play now and I believe his Defense has been a little over-hyped on this board at this time. Can it improve sure but for now he's not that great in CF. Remember It's just my opinion I'm not saying I'm right thats just the way I see it. Please don't kill me.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 06-08-2008 at 09:19 PM.

I'm going to throw out an idea that I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is going to be flamed at first thought. But once you get past the original "No way!" thoughts, actually might start making a little sense (emphasis on "little").

Say the Reds enter spring training next year with Dunn in LF, Bruce in RF, and your leading candidates for CF are Freel, Hopper, Chris Dickerson (if he doesn't opt for minor league FA), and a ST invite named Corey Patterson. Do you consider Drew Stubbs at all?

Here's my thinking: I think, despite all the negative concerns about his hitting skills, Stubbs would be a better option than Corey Patterson at the plate. Stubbs would struggle, but I think he would give you a higher OBS - perhaps 50-75 points higher than Patterson. You know his OBP would be higher simply because, for all his other flaws, Stubbs does seem to know how to take a walk now and then. Defensively, Stubbs could play Gold Glove caliber CF.

Freel and Hopper, IMO, are decent role players, but are not full time starters. I doubt either of them can stay healthy long enough to start. Freel is no longer the Freel we saw two years ago. I don't see him getting better. Hopper seems more like a AAAA guy, and I've seen Hopper play some amazingly bad defense for a guy with speed. Dickerson can absolutely play defense, but I don't think his OBP warrants him starting.

Would Stubbs be the best option among those five? I suppose the bigger question would be whether or not Dusty would insist on having him lead off or moving him down to 7th in the batting order.

Just thinking out loud ...
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Would Stubbs be the best option among those five? I suppose the bigger question would be whether or not Dusty would insist on having him lead off or moving him down to 7th in the batting order.
    I doubt it. If Dickerson continues to play well in AAA, he deserves the first shot. He's supposedly a very good defender, and he's got solid OBP skills -- just like Stubbs, except he's more seasoned. Stubbs needs development time in the minors, in my opinion, if he's going to be an asset at the major league level.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm going to throw out an idea that I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is going to be flamed at first thought. But once you get past the original "No way!" thoughts, actually might start making a little sense (emphasis on "little").

Say the Reds enter spring training next year with Dunn in LF, Bruce in RF, and your leading candidates for CF are Freel, Hopper, Chris Dickerson (if he doesn't opt for minor league FA), and a ST invite named Corey Patterson. Do you consider Drew Stubbs at all?

Here's my thinking: I think, despite all the negative concerns about his hitting skills, Stubbs would be a better option than Corey Patterson at the plate. Stubbs would struggle, but I think he would give you a higher OBS - perhaps 50-75 points higher than Patterson. You know his OBP would be higher simply because, for all his other flaws, Stubbs does seem to know how to take a walk now and then. Defensively, Stubbs could play Gold Glove caliber CF.

Freel and Hopper, IMO, are decent role players, but are not full time starters. I doubt either of them can stay healthy long enough to start. Freel is no longer the Freel we saw two years ago. I don't see him getting better. Hopper seems more like a AAAA guy, and I've seen Hopper play some amazingly bad defense for a guy with speed. Dickerson can absolutely play defense, but I don't think his OBP warrants him starting.

Just thinking out loud ...
    If you didn't like Patterson leading off, you're going to HATE Drew Stubbs leading off. He might be able to take a walk here and there, but you'll probably be looking at a batting average under the Mendoza line. And no matter how much we protest, Dusty likes his centerfielders leading off.

Furthermore, if there is ANY chance of even considering this option, Stubbs needs to be accumulating at-bats right now in Chattanooga, not Sarasota.
    Go BLUE!!!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If you didn't like Patterson leading off, you're going to HATE Drew Stubbs leading off. He might be able to take a walk here and there, but you'll probably be looking at a batting average under the Mendoza line. And no matter how much we protest, Dusty likes his centerfielders leading off.

Furthermore, if there is ANY chance of even considering this option, Stubbs needs to be accumulating at-bats right now in Chattanooga, not Sarasota.
    Unlike Patterson - Stubbs has an excellent OBP which is one of his redeeming qualities.

I would say that Stubbs glove, his OBP and his status as a 1st round pick are all what make him a lock to get at least one go 'round in the show.

I'd like the Stubbbs idea if he was playing in AA right now with a chance to move up and gets some AAA ABs toward the year's end. Right now I think your idea is just 1 year premature.

Moving Valaika to AAA should be a top priority for Walt, hopefully with the idea of getting him here in September to start to assess his ability to take over one of the infield spots. If Valaika can handle 2b, then we can move Phillips to SS, and play Keppinger at 3rd. If we sign Dunn, that cuts down the number of problematic positions to 2--CF and C. That leaves Encarnacion, Arroyo, and maybe one of Bailey, Maloney, and Thompson, along with other minor leaguers, to be moved to help strengthen CF and C. Getting a good read on Valaika becomes even more important if, as I suspect, we do not sign Dunn. If V can play second, then Walt has 3 spots to worry about. If he can't, then the problem becomes much more complex--with 3b, SS, C, CF, and LF all needing attention.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I'd like the Stubbbs idea if he was playing in AA right now with a chance to move up and gets some AAA ABs toward the year's end. Right now I think your idea is just 1 year premature.
    I would agree that the biggest test of Stubbs will be that jump to AA. And you're probably right, it is a year or two premature.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

OK, that's what I was wondering. You're thinking Stubb's BA would be worse than Patterson (who already is at the Mendoza line). I was thinking that Stubb's BA could be 25-30 points higher than Patterson, and with the walks, his overall OBP would be higher.

I agree he should not bat lead-off and I also agree, he needs to be at AA. I wouldn't be too overly surprised that Stubbs might see at few AB's at AA at some point yet this season.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I doubt it. If Dickerson continues to play well in AAA, he deserves the first shot. He's supposedly a very good defender, and he's got solid OBP skills -- just like Stubbs, except he's more seasoned. Stubbs needs development time in the minors, in my opinion, if he's going to be an asset at the major league level.
    Perhaps his OBP is better than I'm noticing in the boxscores. My greatest question on Dickerson is how close he is to that six year minor league FA and all the roster tinkering that goes with Rule V protection. Will he even be here next year?

Honestly, I would like to see Dickerson given about 25-30 consecutive starts (regular playing time) in CF to see what he can do at the ML level. BUT, as long as your OF consists of Dunn, Bruce, and Griffey, Dickerson is basically on the bench except for an occassional spot start here and there to spell Junior.

If Dickerson is in a Reds uniform come next spring training (a BIG "if"), I'd pencil him in as the starting CF. But if he isn't here, I'm not really liking any of the options. And the situation gets even worse if Dunn is not here.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Turn Off Ads?