Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Reds @ Fish 6/8/08

Re: Reds @ Fish 6/8/08

And CPat breaks up the perfect game with 2 outs in the 8th with a HR!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And CPat breaks up the perfect game with a HR!
    Guess who is leading off tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If his HR/9 were better than average? #1 starter. That's perfectly rational. You were looking for a bone to pick, but it turns out there was no bone and I was making a perfectly rational point.

His FB velocity has been fluctuating this season--maybe I should have said that.
    No. My point was that you're the one looking for a bone to pick and the one you chose was really a silly one IMHO. Is Harang a #1 starter? It depends upon who is defining the term I guess. Frankly, I couldn't care less. But I do argue this-Harang doesn't have "problems" because he doesn't fit someone's arbitrary definition of a #1 arm and Johan Santana might be surprised to find out that he's not a number one because he has a similar HR/9 as Harang. In other words, "Harang's problems" are completely contrived by such a definition.
    Last edited by jojo; 06-08-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Crap. Patterson homer.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    “I’m a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball.” - Sean Casey

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Crap. Patterson homer.
    He'll start tomorrow. No doubt.

dusty will have patterson back leading off in center before you know it with bruce going 0-3 and everything.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If his HR/9 were better than average? #1 starter. That's perfectly rational. You were looking for a bone to pick, but it turns out there was no bone and I was making a perfectly rational point.

His FB velocity has been fluctuating this season--maybe I should have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    No. My point was that you're the one looking for a bone to pick and the one you chose was really a silly one IMHO. Is Harang a #1 starter? It depends upon who is defining the term I guess. Frankly, I couldn't care less. But I do argue this-Harang doesn't have "problems" because he doesn't fit someone's arbitrary definition of a #1 arm and Johan Santana might be surprised to find out that he's not a number one because he has a similar HR/9 as Harang. In other words, "Harang's problems" are completely contrived by such a definition.
    "Bone picking" issues need to go private.

Unfortunately.....he was probably going to play for either one of the 3 in the OF.

Maybe Hairston will go there......but he could use a day off also....I don't want him grinding down...faster than what people already expect him to do.

and this one belongs to the....wrong team.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Volquez and Cueto looked like they have developed pretty good with Pole.

Try to give more of the blame/credit to the actual person who is throwing the ball.

Larry Shepard was a pretty good pitching coach until 1977.
    I think they would both tell you Mario Soto was a big key for them.

I agree they guys with ball need to get it done....but a coach and manager need to get them in positions in which they will be most successful. Throwing Harang back out there for about 12 batters too many today is 100% on Dusty and Dick.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I agree that Harang should not have been back out there...have no idea what the point of that was ..but it was not a good decision.

I like that Soto can help....and maybe if he wanted to...he could be the piching coach but it does not look like permanent coaching is his bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I agree that Harang should not have been back out there...have no idea what the point of that was ..but it was not a good decision.

I like that Soto can help....and maybe if he wanted to...he could be the piching coach but it does not look like permanent coaching is his bag.
    If they can keep MS semi-regularly to work with these guys it seems like it will pay very good long term dividends.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think it's fair to say that it's bankrupt comparing Harang to Santana (or Volquez on his own team).

The point I was trying to make is that Harang has these month-long dips that he tends to work through. It's happened every season since he's been here. To chalk it up to the relief stint is silly and is the *really* underfunded conjecture in all this.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    When have the Reds had a good pitching coach?
    When the Reds had very good pitching despite the pitching coach, then he looked like a good pitching coach, whoever he was.

When did the Reds have very good advanced scouting ?

When did the Reds have someone that was very good at calling the pitches, and the results supported it?

For the record, the two Reds rejects killed us this series:

Code:
              ab r h bi  avg
    C. Ross   10  1  5  4  .300
    Cantu     14  4  8  9  .571
    TOTAL    24  5  13 13 .541
    That's just a sin.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?