Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Married Guys...How did you propose?

Married Guys...How did you propose?

My g/f Michelle and I have now been dating for 2.5 years. The past month or so we've been having problems and we have taken a break. I'm hoping that things work out because this girl is the one I want to marry. In fact, we've talked several times in the past about getting married, but I never pulled the trigger. So, if things end up working out in the coming days/weeks, then I'll look back at this tough time that we are going through and use it as a learning experience. It has given me the kick in the butt that I needed, which means I now know that I can't take this girl for granted...ever.

With that said, if things do work out, then I'm going to take the next step and ask her to marry me. So, I'm curious to hear about any creative ideas that you may have come up with for your proposal.
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Married Guys...How did you propose?

You might be better off asking the non-married guys how they proposed.

You're having problems, so the solution is to marry her? Or maybe the problem is she is tired of waiting for the proposal?

You can't live without each other in that when together you feel complete and happy... she (or he) laughs at your humor... in a way you are best friends that get to also have great sex. You are each totally open with each other...

If you've got this, then who cares how you ask! It's about time you ask! If not?.. then...?????

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I made a bumbling idiot out of myself and she still said yes. What's the point of that? If she loves you and wants to marry you, she'll say yes. I'm not convinced there's much a man can do to sway that decision one way or the other.

We'd been shacked up for two years. We wanted all the gifts, so we just decided to make it legal.

It was very romantic.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Went to vacation on the Outer Banks in North Carolina and my best friend was the only one who knew I was going to ask her. He hid the ring up until I was ready. We went for a beach walk right after sunset and we walked ahead of the rest of the folks who were with us and after a few minutes I stopped her and asked. Her first words were "You are f*cking kidding me!" , that sure made things easier.

Anyway, she said yes and the rest of the folks who were with us had brought fireworks and set them off after they saw she said yes.

It was a great night.
    Matta = Really good

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

I'll chime in even though I've never been proposed to... what's the problem??? - just ask!

Let me tell you about how my Dad "proposed" to my Mom. BTW, my parents will be celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary in August.

Anyhoo... My Mom would never tell me and my siblings how Dad proposed to her saying that somethings need to remain a secret. I finally asked my Dad about 15 years ago. And this is his story... he was in the Navy stationed in Michigan but home on leave (his parents at the time lived in Hamilton). He goes to a "dude ranch" outside of town and meets my Mom who is with other friends. By the end of the night my Mom has had a few drinks and is somewhat tipsy. So my Dad jokingly says "Can I carry you?" - but my Mom in her state thinks my Dad says "Can I marry you?" Which, of course, she says yes. Dad doesn't realize this until later when she calls him up to remind him (maybe she wasn't so tipsy after all). Dad must have been somewhat smitten and tells my Mom that he needs to go back to Michigan not only to get back to the base but to say good-bye to his live in girlfriend... Remember, this is 1948! They dated when he was on leave for about 4 months and were married in August of that year.

Moral... ya just never know!
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 04-07-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I'll chime in even though I've never been proposed to...
    Are men intimidated by a woman who knows more about baseball than they do?

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Are men intimidated by a woman who knows more about baseball than they do?
    Maybe... I all know is that my worst dates have been with guys who loved sports (but didn't know I did before the first date.. which was usually the last).
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Maybe... I all know is that my worst dates have been with guys who loved sports (but didn't know I did before the first date.. which was usually the last).
    You'd think guys who love sports would be attracted that, but maybe it's just unexpected.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    We'd been shacked up for two years. We wanted all the gifts, so we just decided to make it legal.

It was very romantic.
    The man knows his stuff. Exactly how my wife and I did it.

I'm not qualified to answer your question as I'm not married but your post just struck me as the exact same thing my girlfriend and I are going through right now (except we have been dating for 4.5 years and we are on month 2 of our "break"). I never thought I'd feel so much pain for a woman, but you know you really love someone when you can't function without them, when you can't focus, your performance is down at work, your health suffers, etc. Every day through this stretch I regret taking her for granted, as you mentioned. I didn't answer your question, but sometimes I think it's helpful to know there are other people out there going through similar issues. Hope everything turns out okay for you...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I forget.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I'm not qualified to answer your question as I'm not married but your post just struck me as the exact same thing my girlfriend and I are going through right now (except we have been dating for 4.5 years and we are on month 2 of our "break"). I never thought I'd feel so much pain for a woman, but you know you really love someone when you can't function without them, when you can't focus, your performance is down at work, your health suffers, etc. Every day through this stretch I regret taking her for granted, as you mentioned. I didn't answer your question, but sometimes I think it's helpful to know there are other people out there going through similar issues. Hope everything turns out okay for you...

Wow...you really are in the same situation as me! Ya know, I'm sorry to hear that but like "they" say, misery loves company...right?

My g/f asked for a break as well so that she can decide whether or not "we are meant to be, or if it is time to move on". So, I've been in a state of misery and confusion for the last week or two. She also gave me the, "I love you but I'm not sure if I'm in love with you anymore". We've since talked because I have been stubborn and have called her. I have to lock myself down though and respect her wishes for a break. The thing is, as weird as it may seem...I am "glad" that this has happened because it has given me the kick in the butt that made me realize that I can't take her for granted. It really has proven to me that I don't want to live without her and that I'd love to spend the rest of my life with her. Maybe that was part of her intentions, so that we can both realize that we have to move to the next step. We have talked about marriage several times in the past year or more. So, I think she has that in the back of her mind. Only time will tell.

If she decides that we can work it out then I'm not taking anything for granted. I'm going to do what I should've done a year ago and propose to her. I really hope that things work for the best...she means the world to me and I'd be lost without her. I hope that's what is currently going through her mind as well.

Wish US luck!
    "Rounding Third and Heading for Home"

Turn Off Ads?