Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keppinger Back This Weekend?

Keppinger Back This Weekend?

From Fay:
    Jeff Keppinger will DH and Norris Hopper will play in the outfield tonight for the Sarasota Reds. That begins their official rehab assignment. The Florida State League All-Star Break is this week end. My guess is Keppinger plays through Thursday and then get activated. Hopper will probably need more time since he's been out of action so long.

Josh Fogg will start for Sarasota Tuesday or Wednesday
    It would be great to get Keppinger into the leadoff spot and Hairston would strengthen the teams bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Keppinger Back This Weekend?

You wonder if EE won't see some pine time with Kepp playing third.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    From Fay:

It would be great to get Keppinger into the leadoff spot and Hairston would strengthen the teams bench.
    Do you think Kepp will pick up right where he left off?

I hope he does, but if I were a betting man...
    sorry we're boring

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Makes me shudder to think of the lack of range with Kepp at 3B and Hairston at SS.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    very possible.

I really am not a big fan of the idea of Keppinger playing over EE. Clearly he hasn't been hitting up to snuff, but I'm not sure I see how a benching/platoon would help resolve that. But what it would do is slow his development, allow us to gather less information about his future ceiling, and generally undermine our long term planning. The benefit, clearly, is that Keppinger likely gives us a better chance to win games today. But I'm not sure that 50 points of OPS merits the downside.

It's akin to giving Josh Fogg starts instead of a struggling Matt Belisle, perhaps a little higher up on the ability scale, but conceptually similar.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wow, that's a pretty quick return for Keppinger if so. I have no problem with Kepp at SS and Hairston at 3B while his bat remains hot. EdE simply has been horrible at the plate the last 6 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Wow, that's a pretty quick return for Keppinger if so. I have no problem with Kepp at SS and Hairston at 3B while his bat remains hot. EdE simply has been horrible at the plate the last 6 weeks.
    I know it seems like yesterday he got hurt...but it was back on May 13 and they did say 4-6 weeks. Kepp/Bruce at the top of the order will be nice.

Well, with Keppinger coming back, that should end the days of Corey Patterson wearing a Cincinnati uniform.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Well, with Keppinger coming back, that should end the days of Corey Patterson wearing a Cincinnati uniform.
    It will most likely mean Janish goes back to Louisville.

that should end the days of Corey Patterson wearing a Cincinnati uniform.
    ... and also a silver bullet.

That should already have happend with the way Dickerson is hitting the ball in Louisville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I really am not a big fan of the idea of Keppinger playing over EE. Clearly he hasn't been hitting up to snuff, but I'm not sure I see how a benching/platoon would help resolve that. But what it would do is slow his development, allow us to gather less information about his future ceiling, and generally undermine our long term planning. The benefit, clearly, is that Keppinger likely gives us a better chance to win games today. But I'm not sure that 50 points of OPS merits the downside.

It's akin to giving Josh Fogg starts instead of a struggling Matt Belisle, perhaps a little higher up on the ability scale, but conceptually similar.

I think the idea would be to replace a .233 BA with a .324 BA. Pretty simple calculation.

Edwin has 1,504 total plate appearances in the major leagues. The question is whether that's enough information gathering.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-09-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I know it seems like yesterday he got hurt...but it was back on May 13 and they did say 4-6 weeks. Kepp/Bruce at the top of the order will be nice.
    I'm totally aware, but many were speculating 6 weeks minimum...8 weeks was likely. So the fact that he is probably going to be back in 4 weeks is pretty amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

But Rick, at what point is enough enough? I'm not naive here, the Reds have almost not chance of competing this year, but I feel like EdE's leash has been too long. Maybe sitting him some and letting someone else play (and actually perform) might send him a message that he needs to work harder at the plate. His popup rate is very alarming.

Vacationing in Sarasota this week, I will try to swing over there and catch a game.

Turn Off Ads?