Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bedard available?

Cruisin' for trouble

Bedard available?

mlbtraderumors is suggesting that the M's may put Bedard on the block. Keep in mind that this is all very speculative, at this point.

There were suggestions that the Reds offered a package including Homer, Votto and two prospects for Bedard when they were trying to work out a trade with the O's. Considering that Bedard has not gotten off to a hot start, has a big contract and Votto is in the mix for the ROY, what would it take to land Bedard now?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bedard available?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    mlbtraderumors is suggesting that the M's may put Bedard on the block. Keep in mind that this is all very speculative, at this point.

There were suggestions that the Reds offered a package including Homer, Votto and two prospects for Bedard when they were trying to work out a trade with the O's. Considering that Bedard has not gotten off to a hot start, has a big contract and Votto is in the mix for the ROY, what would it take to land Bedard now?
    I still think his value will be high. If the M's open the bidding come now or July there are a few teams that would ante up. A Homer (lower stock)/Votto (higher stock) still would be needed I think to get the job done.

A quick look at Bedard's game log shows his ho-hum stat line has been caused by a few rotten starts. I doubt his value his dropped that much.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The Reds aren't exactly in the race...and if they keep playing this bad on the road, they never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by mlbtraderumors otherwise know as the flatulence collecting bag aimed at getting click revenue
    So far, we haven't read any actual rumors suggesting the Mariners will shop Erik Bedard.
    Maybe their first caveat should speak volumes.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....,2510127.story

Don't know how good the source is but this is where I saw it. I was thinking the same thing the writer was...after giving up Jones, the M's will want to drive a hard bargain.

Heh, Jojo. As with most rumor based sites, they walk a very fine line maintaining credibility (noise:news). I've pestered the founder before with the compliant that simple speculation is not the same thing as a well-sourced rumor. Not surprisingly, he dismissed my suggestion that he should focus on reporting rumors rather than starting them -- or claiming innocence when citing somebody else's unfounded speculation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

funny stuff on the Mariners from Rotoworld

Mariners fired hitting coach Jeff Pentland.
    The Mariners have the game's worst record despite a top-10 payroll, and it's obviously Pentland's fault. He'll know better next time not to overpay for Richie Sexson, Carlos Silva, Miguel Batista and Jarrod Washburn. Also, he never should have traded for Jose Vidro and put together a ridiculous bench that included Miguel Cairo and Willie Bloomquist. And that's glossing over his biggest mistake of all: he saw two lesbians kissing at Safeco Field and did absolutely nothing to stop them. Lee Elia, his replacement, is very capable of putting the fans in their place when he needs to.

Senor Votto

Cueto, Bruce, and Homer for him!

Honestly I wouldn't trade a whole lot for him right now. That trade probably killed the Mariners future for a few years and I don't want the same thing to happen to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Heh, Jojo. As with most rumor based sites, they walk a very fine line maintaining credibility (noise:news). I've pestered the founder before with the compliant that simple speculation is not the same thing as a well-sourced rumor. Not surprisingly, he dismissed my suggestion that he should focus on reporting rumors rather than starting them -- or claiming innocence when citing somebody else's unfounded speculation.
    Ya. It's a shame because there are so many quality baseball blogs that have raised the bar (and frankly surpassed the average beat writer). Then to have throngs of people give an ear to such an undeserving site that panders to the lowest common denominator without a shred of concern for accuracy or truth, it just lowers the quality of baseball conversation IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    funny stuff on the Mariners from Rotoworld
    Ya. It's tough to imagine Bavasi even having enough rope left to even be able to make a personnel move that would actually be significant.

sellers

IMO - i don't think the reds are close to being a playoff team ( or close ) year after year. they may be close to a team that could win 85 games but whats the point in that? i have no interest in bedard. i think the reds should be sellers at the deadline ( if the offers are there ).
    we do have some pitchers in AAA but other than that AA/AAA looks weak.
    all the reds best prospects are in A/A+ which means they are years away.
    even with the infusion of votto, bruce, cueto this year the reds still aren't getting it done. guys like arroyo, dunn ( controversial ), weathers, affeldt, freel, etc aren't likely to be productive when the reds really have the talent coming from the minors.

I'd rather the Reds focus on something else. The starting pitching is ok now. Not playoff level, but good enough. The Reds need to upgrade position players (or replace ones about to depart) more desperately than they need to get another starting pitcher.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bedard only went 5 in his last outing, and hasn't exactly lit it up regularly. He's killing my fantasy team, so I can attest lol.

Anyway, I wouldn't go after him for a package anywhere near what the M's gave up.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    This isn't really in response to your post, but your description of Mlbtraderumors.... but they do a pretty good job at exactly what you label them as.

Bedard for Griffey :

Seriously though, with Alonso in the fold, would you consider trading Griffey, Votto and Maloney for Bedard and Sexson- provided the M's would pay Sexson's salary for next season? Sexson's contract makes him an albatross, but at least he is right-handed. He could be an interesting stopgap until Alonso is ready (he's signed through 2009). If Seattle was willing to swallow the contract, I would consider this, of course provided Dunn would agree to an extension.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-09-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?