Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dunn playing hurt?

Dunn playing hurt?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dunn's playing hurt
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

MIAMI - Baseball has no rules requiring teams to reveal players' injuries, like the NFL.

The Reds went so far as to generalize - saying Ken Griffey Jr. had general soreness - when he was dealing with a sore left knee.

When asked to specify, Reds manager Dusty Baker said: "This ain't the NFL."

So if Adam Dunn's shoulder or elbow is hurting, you're not going to get it from the Reds, or Dunn.

• Photos: Griffey hits No. 600
    • Box score: Reds 9, Marlins 4
    • Griffey coverage in our special section: The Quest for 600

But it certainly looked that way Sunday. Dunn uncorked a lofty throw that came up well short of the plate in the second inning. Then he appeared to recoil a bit after throwing the ball in on Dan Uggla's double in the fifth.

So is his arm hurting?

"No, it's all right," he said.

Are you sure?

"It's good . . . It's really not that bad."

Dunn plays through pain routinely. His right knee bothered him for a couple of years before he had surgery late last season to clean it out and repair a torn meniscus.

Dunn played part of the 2005 season with a broken hand.

Dunn will never make excuses, but he did say this Monday:

"It wouldn't be a day without pain somewhere."

Dunn had a good arm when he was drafted. It has not been good in recent years. Runners have consistently challenged him this year.

Sunday, it looked as if it was a physical thing. If it was, Dunn obviously isn't going to say.

POLE ON HARANG: Pitching coach Dick Pole thinks Aaron Harang just needs to relax and be Aaron Harang.

"He's trying to be too perfect," Pole said. "He's good. As good as he is, he can try to do too much."

REHAB CITY: Both Jeff Keppinger (knee) and Norris Hopper (elbow) were scheduled to begin rehab assignments Monday with the Sarasota Reds before the game was rained out.

Keppinger was scheduled to be used at designated hitter. Hopper was to play the outfield.

That will begin their official rehab assignments. They are limited to 30 days.

Keppinger's is likely to be much shorter than that.

Hopper will need some extended time since he hasn't played all season.

"He's not the forgotten man," Baker said. "He did a good job here last year."

The Florida State League's all-star break begins Friday. Keppinger could be ready to be activated then.

PHILLIPS BREAKS OUT OF SMALL SLUMP: Brandon Phillips entered Monday 0-for-his-last-12.

He helped cure that with a 2-for-5 performance Monday night, which included his 12th home run of the season.

He'll probably get a day off when the Reds return home today.

"It's a hard to give him a day off against a left-hander," Baker said.

NUXIE TRIBUTE: The Reds will honor legendary player and announcer Joe Nuxhall tonight at Great American Ball Park as the Reds return home for a nine-game homestand.

The first 30,000 fans to enter the parks will be presented with bronze replicas of the Nuxhall statue that is on the Crosley Terrace.

At 5 p.m., the city of Cincinnati and Hamilton County will rename the portion of Main Street in front of the Reds Hall Of Fame "Joe Nuxhall Way."

Today is 64th anniversary of Nuxhall's major league debut at age 15.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...00401/1071/SPT
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn playing hurt?

makes me thing that after this season Dunn will move to the AL and become a 1B/DH. Maybe it will happen this year, Dunn would be a perfect fit for the Rays.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    makes me thing that after this season Dunn will move to the AL and become a 1B/DH. Maybe it will happen this year, Dunn would be a perfect fit for the Rays.
    What happened to Carlos Pena? I thought he was the normal 1b?

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    What happened to Carlos Pena? I thought he was the normal 1b?
    on the DL and he is a one year wonder in my book.

Pena has a .763 OPS this season and that is pretty much who he is aside from the 2007 season.

on the DL and he is a one year wonder in my book.

Pena has a .763 OPS this season and that is pretty much who he is aside from the 2007 season.
    Pena was still mashing homers though. I think he had started turning it on pretty good recently if I recall correctly.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Pena was still mashing homers though. I think he had started turning it on pretty good recently if I recall correctly.
    11 HRs in 200+ AB. He is one of the reasons the Rays won't make the playoffs. Although with Gomes/Floyd as DHs Dunn would be a big improvment there as well.

11 HRs in 200+ AB. He is one of the reasons the Rays won't make the playoffs. Although with Gomes/Floyd as DHs Dunn would be a big improvment there as well.
    The Rays really didn't have a chance anyway being in Boston's division.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The Rays really didn't have a chance anyway being in Boston's division.
    they have a real shot at the wildcard even if they don't catch the Sox. The Rays currently have a 3.5 game lead in the wildcard.

they have a real shot at the wildcard even if they don't catch the Sox. The Rays currently have a 3.5 game lead in the wildcard.
    That's true, but I just continue to believe that the Yankees will find a way when it's all said and done. I also can't believe Cleveland is really this bad.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Most athletes play hurt at some point...

Being injured's another story.

I agree that the Rays best chance is the WC but I think it all depends on whether their pitching will hold up. I think they have the offense

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think it all depends on whether their pitching will hold up.
    pretty much true of every team.

pretty much true of every team.
    My point is they need pitchers for the stretch run more than 1B or DHs

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

makes me thing that after this season Dunn will move to the AL and become a 1B/DH.
    It made me think that he might be looking at elbow surgery. I suspect he'd find that preferable to a league/position change.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My point is they need pitchers for the stretch run more than 1B or DHs
    you need something that will positively effect run differential. Now if you want to go out acquire more pitching depth that may reduce risk but may not positively impact run differential because the type of pitchers that can have a decent positive impact are generally not available, and if they are they are very expensive in terms of talent.

Turn Off Ads?