Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is this true?

uoduck1017

Is this true?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...suicide&st=nyt

Griffey Jr. Recalls Attempted Suicide

Published: March 16, 1992

As a teen-ager, Ken Griffey Jr. seemed to have it made. He was the eldest son of a baseball star, in a well-to-do family, and talented enough to be picked first in baseball's amateur draft.

But Griffey Jr., now an All-Star outfielder with the Seattle Mariners, said growing up wasn't easy. In fact, he said, life was so bad he tried to kill himself at age 17.

Griffey recounted the incident in a recent interview with The Seattle Times, which published the story Sunday.

"It seemed like everyone was yelling at me in baseball, then I came home and everyone was yelling at me there," he recalled. "I got depressed. I got angry. I didn't want to live."

In January 1988, Griffey said, he swallowed 277 aspirin by his own count and wound up in intensive care at Providence Hospital in Mount Airy, Ohio.

Griffey said he agreed to make the story public in the hope it might dissuade others from seeing suicide as a solution.
    I found this on his Wikipedia bio. Other than that web page, I had never heard that story before, or knew Griffey had family problems at a young age.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is this true?

Yes. I remember back when he came public with that story. It is true.

I'm not saying his father was the one responsible, but it's sad how much pressure is put on kids to perform at sports. I coach my son's team year in and year out, and it's something that all parents need to watch out against.

uoduck1017

It's great to see how The Kid has come full circle. From being at the lowest of lows, to hitting 600 career homeruns. Congratulations, Ken!

277 Asprin and lived!!! Crazy warnings on the side of the bottle that says do not take more than 6 in a day.

I never knew this

Quote Originally Posted by uoduck1017 View Post
    It's great to see how The Kid has come full circle. From being at the lowest of lows, to hitting 600 career homeruns. Congratulations, Ken!
    So let this be a lesson to all you moms and dads...

Always pressure your kids to the point of suicide.

...and that's...One To Grow On. (tm all rights reserved)

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk61 View Post
    277 Asprin and lived!!! Crazy warnings on the side of the bottle that says do not take more than 6 in a day.
    What made him stop at 277? Did he lose track of his count? Or was that what he predicted Bonds would hit if steroids didn't exist? Kidding aside, I'm not sure HOW anyone could make it after taking that many.

Turn Off Ads?