Will George survive?

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    No Edmonds.

Will George survive?
    He'll get his fix next time we play the cubbies

It should be interesting with Bruce leading off, but Janish in the 2-hole? That strikes me as really strange. It's like "if you play shortstop, you bat second" regardless of ability. But what do I know?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    It should be interesting with Bruce leading off, but Janish in the 2-hole? That strikes me as really strange. It's like "if you play shortstop, you bat second" regardless of ability. But what do I know?
    Did Hank Aaron teach YOU the game?

Reds have only three righty hitters in the lineup. And only two righty bats that have had any success. Phillips and EE.

Dusty doesn't want to use them both in the top part of the lineup and then have lots of lefties lined up in a row. This lineup is an attempt to avoid that problem.

He could have done --

Bruce
    EE
    Griffey
    Phillips
    Dunn
    Votto
    Janish
    Bako

I guess he preferred to keep EE in his "normal" spot lower in the lineup and hit Janish second.

Reds need more righty hitting. With Kepp and Hairston both out, Reds need a lot more righty hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Did Hank Aaron teach YOU the game?
    Hank who??

www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

We're facing a RHP who has never pitched in the majors, nor experienced much minor league success until this year. His success this year has been based largely on unsustainably low hit and HR rate. Also, the Cardinals have one LOOGY in their pen, Ron Villone.

So basically, we're giving Paul Janish more at bats than Adam Dunn or JOey Votto, because we're afraid that in a late game situation, Ron Villone will be brought in and we'd rather have the light hitting SS with a .741 minor league OPS and 25 major league at bats at the plate over either of our .900+ OPS corner bats. Riiiiiiiiiiight. Good thinking Dusty.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I thought about hitting him second from the point of view that he should be on auto sac bunt mode for a week or so untill Kepp gets back.

The early 90's Pirates used to have a 2B(name escapes me, King maybe?) that made a living off of sac bunting Womack over for Bonilla and Bonds. I'm thinking something along those lines for Janish.

I hate to give up outs but it looks like he's pretty much an out anyway, might as well get what you can out of it.

Never heard of this guy pitching for the Cards tonight. So I guess that means he will pitch a three hit shutout.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    We're facing a RHP who has never pitched in the majors, nor experienced much minor league success until this year. His success this year has been based largely on unsustainably low hit and HR rate. Also, the Cardinals have one LOOGY in their pen, Ron Villone.

So basically, we're giving Paul Janish more at bats than Adam Dunn or JOey Votto, because we're afraid that in a late game situation, Ron Villone will be brought in and we'd rather have the light hitting SS with a .741 minor league OPS and 25 major league at bats at the plate over either of our .900+ OPS corner bats. Riiiiiiiiiiight. Good thinking Dusty.
    The pitcher will look like Don Drysdale. Janish will hit like Juan Castro. And the Cardinals will prasie their young pitcher as an "up and coming pitcher." Until he pitches against anyone else...
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    The early 90's Pirates used to have a 2B(name escapes me, King maybe?) that made a living off of sac bunting Womack over for Bonilla and Bonds. I'm thinking something along those lines for Janish.
    Womack came after Bonilla and Bonds. The years those two were there it was mostly Jay Bell and Andy Van Slyke ahead of them...

Maybe you're thinking of Jose Lind? Lind usually batted 8th though.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Jay Bell was the big sac bunt guy.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Womack came after Bonilla and Bonds. The years those two were there it was mostly Jay Bell and Andy Van Slyke ahead of them...

Maybe you're thinking of Jose Lind? Lind usually batted 8th though.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Jay Bell was the big sac bunt guy.

My bad I thought it was Womack but I remember the #2 hitter was a sac bunt machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Never heard of this guy pitching for the Cards tonight. So I guess that means he will pitch a three hit shutout.
    Who is Alex Madrid?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?