Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 246

Thread: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

  1. #226
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    What a proper way to end a game with C.Patt striking out.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #227
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    springer strikes out the sides...at least it was quick tonight...

  4. #228
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,949

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Will the Corey Patterson experiment ever end?

  5. #229
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,901

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Tribute to Nuxy, Griffey return home from 600 and they come out flat! No Excuses!
    For all RZ hates scrappy, this team is flat without the scrappy Hairston. And the Cards are packed with scrappy players taking it to the Reds. The non scrappy Edwin turned in the worst AB Ive seen in weeks in the ninth. On a night when the Reds celebrate history, its all too obvious there aren't the leaders on this team to get it juiced for the present.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  6. #230
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,880

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    This game was over the second they pencilled in Bailey's name.

    He's not a major league starting pitcher right now. And if he ever is it will have to be with a wholly different approach; no way in hell he becomes a bulldozing high-K pitcher with the stuff he possesses. If he sticks in the majors, he will have made a sea change.

  7. #231
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,306

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    For all RZ hates scrappy, this team is flat without the scrappy Hairston. And the Cards are packed with scrappy players taking it to the Reds. The non scrappy Edwin turned in the worst AB Ive seen in weeks in the ninth. On a night when the Reds celebrate history, its all too obvious there aren't the leaders on this team to get it juiced for the present.
    Is this a serious post? The Reds didn't miss Hairston's "scrapiness" they misssed his bat. They replaced his .336/.382/.480 with a guy hitting .237. And lets blame the guy who went 3-4 tonight for swinging at a bad 3-1 in a 5 run game in the 9th.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  8. #232
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,306

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This game was over the second they pencilled in Bailey's name.

    He's not a major league starting pitcher right now. And if he ever is it will have to be with a wholly different approach; no way in hell he becomes a bulldozing high-K pitcher with the stuff he possesses. If he sticks in the majors, he will have made a sea change.
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  9. #233
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Philips has a little bit of Aaron Boone disease: a 30 hr guy who swings like a 50 hr guy. Scout him correctly you'll get a grounder to short every at bat.
    C'mon, that's not true. Sometimes you'll get get a grounder to 2B. Phillips seems to have adopted the approach that he's a power hitter. He'd be a lot better off swinging like he was a 15 HR guy. Just ask Chase Utley -- or Joey Votto for that matter.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  10. #234
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,901

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Is this a serious post? The Reds didn't miss Hairston's "scrapiness" they misssed his bat. They replaced his .336/.382/.480 with a guy hitting .237. And lets blame the guy who went 3-4 tonight for swinging at a bad 3-1 in a 5 run game in the 9th.
    I did not blame Edwin for the loss, but merely pointed out it was a horrific at-bat. Chris Welch noticed it as well.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  11. #235
    Member Stormy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    6,987

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    For all RZ hates scrappy, this team is flat without the scrappy Hairston. And the Cards are packed with scrappy players taking it to the Reds. The non scrappy Edwin turned in the worst AB Ive seen in weeks in the ninth. On a night when the Reds celebrate history, its all too obvious there aren't the leaders on this team to get it juiced for the present.
    You should include phrases like 'mentally tough', 'proficiency' and 'sound execution' to that description (even though I think Hairston's contributions are a blip on the radar screen, and somewhat irrelevant to the big picture). Virtually every year, regardless of the talent level of the cast and crew, the Cardinals coax exceptionally proficient and professional plate appearances out of their personnel. They pretty much execute in every aspect of the game, and as a result they exceed expectations, and their sum is greater than the parts therein.

    By contrast, the mentally enervated Reds' team usually displays a production and consistency that greatly underperforms the sum of it's individual talents. It's yet another reason why the tactically flawed and plate discipline bereft Dusty Baker was a terrible fit for this squad.

  12. #236
    Member Marc D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,715

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    You should include phrases like 'mentally tough', 'proficiency' and 'sound execution' to that description (even though I think Hairston's contributions are a blip on the radar screen, and somewhat irrelevant to the big picture). Virtually every year, regardless of the talent level of the cast and crew, the Cardinals coax exceptionally proficient and professional plate appearances out of their personnel. They pretty much execute in every aspect of the game, and as a result they exceed expectations, and their sum is greater than the parts therein.

    By contrast, the mentally enervated Reds' team usually displays a production and consistency that greatly underperforms the sum of it's individual talents. It's yet another reason why the tactically flawed and plate discipline bereft Dusty Baker was a terrible fit for this squad.
    That is the most concise summary of the difference in the two teams I have seen to date. Great post.

    On paper as an individual at this point in their careers, how many guys from St Louis would you take over his counterpart from the Reds? Put Bruce in RF and I would take the Cards 1B, C and CF. Thats about it. Yet even with a massive amount of injuries they are 12 games over .500, we are 5 games under(and counting).

    I normally side with the stats guys but our team needs a culture change. I know we'll never replace his numbers but Dunn, JR and anyone not named Bruce, Volquez or Cueto can go for the right price as far as I'm concerned. There is something fundamentally dysfunctional in that clubhouse, it needs to be exorcised.

    Sad to say but this is the day I give up on yet another season.

  13. #237
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,306

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Well, we have one less thing to worry about the next 2 days.
    * Word from the Cardinals clubhouse is to expect Pujols to go on the disabled list. He had a preexisting calf injury and this could mean a lengthy stay on the DL.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  14. #238
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Well, we have one less thing to worry about the next 2 days.
    This could affect the Cards chances at the Wild Card significantly but at least he won't hit his 300th homer at GABP.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  15. #239
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,069

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    You should include phrases like 'mentally tough', 'proficiency' and 'sound execution' to that description (even though I think Hairston's contributions are a blip on the radar screen, and somewhat irrelevant to the big picture). Virtually every year, regardless of the talent level of the cast and crew, the Cardinals coax exceptionally proficient and professional plate appearances out of their personnel. They pretty much execute in every aspect of the game, and as a result they exceed expectations, and their sum is greater than the parts therein.

    By contrast, the mentally enervated Reds' team usually displays a production and consistency that greatly underperforms the sum of it's individual talents. It's yet another reason why the tactically flawed and plate discipline bereft Dusty Baker was a terrible fit for this squad.
    Well put.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  16. #240
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,332

    Re: Cardinals @ Reds: 6/10/08

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This game was over the second they pencilled in Bailey's name.

    He's not a major league starting pitcher right now. And if he ever is it will have to be with a wholly different approach; no way in hell he becomes a bulldozing high-K pitcher with the stuff he possesses. If he sticks in the majors, he will have made a sea change.
    If he has one more outing like this, against Boston albeit, I like the idea of giving him the Volquez/Dontrelle treatment: See you in the FSL Homer. And I was a proponent of bringing him up too. He needs some teaching, and God know Dick freaking Pole ain't gonna do it.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25