Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Must-win series in June?

Must-win series in June?

As crazy as it sounds if there ever was a must win-series in June the set against the Redbirds meets most, in not all, of the requirements. The Reds currently languish seven games behind St. Louis in the wildcard race. A Cardinal sweep would put the Reds 10 games back and let the bidding for Adam Dunn (among others) begin in earnest. A number of folks on this board feel that St. Louis is not for real, but they have me convinced. At the very least, ten games back with more than a handful of teams in between is an obstacle of the highest order. On the other hand a Cincinnati sweep puts them just four games back in the wildcard race. That would make it game on IMO. Two wins seems the minimum the Reds could get away with here. So that would, indeed, make this a must-win series in June.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Must-win series in June?

I couldn't have ever imagined myself saying this in spring training but:

I'm really going to miss Hairston this week. I'm not comfortable with our offense with Janish hitting 2nd. However, this team seems to have everything figured out at home. Tonight is a huge key. If the Reds can get a win out of Bailey this could be a very solid homestand.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I couldn't have ever imagined myself saying this in spring training but:

I'm really going to miss Hairston this week. I'm not comfortable with our offense with Janish hitting 2nd. However, this team seems to have everything figured out at home. Tonight is a huge key. If the Reds can get a win out of Bailey this could be a very solid homestand.
    Well good God, Homer. Stop writing about it and go shut those Cardinal bats down, son.

The Reds aren't going anywhere this year. I just can't see any way it happens unless we see complete collapses and mediocrity the rest of the way leading to 83 or 84 wins taking the division or Wild Card. I would say 84 wins would be about the top-end best case scenario for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Well good God, Homer. Stop writing about it and go shut those Cardinal bats down, son.
    Oh wow! Didn't realize its 6:15! I'm gonna go stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuxhall41 View Post
    The Reds aren't going anywhere this year. I just can't see any way it happens unless we see complete collapses and mediocrity the rest of the way leading to 83 or 84 wins taking the division or Wild Card. I would say 84 wins would be about the top-end best case scenario for this team.
    You're absolutely right.

There's something seriously wrong with Arroyo and Harang, and Dusty does his damage on a weekly basis. Jockety hasn't done a thing since he took over.

There's a lot of potential though where I could see the team running off 14 out of 18 at any time, but that would only place them about 5 games over .500 when it happens.

Bailey gets a much better matchup tonight than a no-win situation against Cole Hamels.

As long as LaRussa is the manager of the Cards they will be contenders. A LaRussa managed team with one big name on it - Pujols- outplayed; out thought; out passioned; and just plain looks like a team that expects to win and plays like it. If only we could get a lot more of that on our side of the field.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Bailey gets a much better matchup tonight than a no-win situation against Cole Hamels.
    Was a better matchup but niether Bailey nor the offense held up their end of the deal.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I guess this team had me fooled.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    I guess this team had me fooled.
    Everyone can see the potential, but we have a roster full of inconsistent and unintelligent baseball players. We have hackers who will get hot for a period but then completely disappear for weeks at a time. We'll score 12 runs in one game and then disappear for three games. Defensively, we have players who will make spectacular plays but then boot routine ones. Volquez is our only consistent pitcher. Harang was consistent but the inconsistent offense demoralized him and destroyed his confidence.

A complete revamping will be good for this team.

Dandy Don Meredith sang it best, "Turn out the lights, the party's over". In what is, err, was arguably a must-win series the Reds once again play comatose, brain-dead baseball. While I will gladly eat a big ole heapin' plate of crow if they prove me wrong, sadly it doesn't look like that offering is on the 2008 menu.

Turn Off Ads?