Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Reds Draft tracker thread

Re: 2008 Reds Draft tracker thread

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From BA:

Blaine Howell has dominated for Pensacola JC, but scouting departments aren't sure where to put his name on their boards. A lefthander pitching between 90-92 mph, Howell has made it known that he plans to go on his Mormon mission and won't be available for pro ball for at least two years. He is a true pro prospect, complementing his above-average fastball with an exceptional curveball, and could be a valuable lefty in a major league bullpen down the road.
    This reminds me of Jesse Craig, also a Mormon, who claimd before the draft that he was not willing to play professional baseball, but the Reds drafted him in the 17th round (iIrc) anyway.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This reminds me of Jesse Craig, also a Mormon, who claimd before the draft that he was not willing to play professional baseball, but the Reds drafted him in the 17th round (iIrc) anyway.
    Howell may be advised to play ball and delay his mission since he can be an ambassador (like Dale Murphy, Harmon Killebrew and other Mormon athletes) with a high profile as a pro athlete, and fulfill his mission after his career. If that is the case he'd be a steal at this level.

Thats an interesting take Jake.. I hope the Reds try to sell it to him like that..

Though if he does go on his mission early, he might end up like jeremy guthrie.. fresh arm, late bloomer..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Howell may be advised to play ball and delay his mission since he can be an ambassador (like Dale Murphy, Harmon Killebrew and other Mormon athletes) with a high profile as a pro athlete, and fulfill his mission after his career. If that is the case he'd be a steal at this level.
    Unlike Craig, Howell is actually talking about going back to baseball. Picking Howell was a good idea, I think.

Signed 13 of their top 14 picks, and will be able to sign the 14th. Ver-Nice... I like!

A HIGH FIVE!

"I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Great Success!

saw a replay of Texas vs Baylor and they brought in 19 round pick Mace Thurman he throws over the top, looks like Jeremy Affeldt fastball around the 90mph mark but it moves side to side, his breaking stuff was excellent, very good change up and curve. The announcer said his fastball has been getting better every year.

Mace Thurman is a junior and may return to college, seems to be headed upward so that may be the right move for him.

Ben Hunter has post grad medical aspirations but I'd like to see him signed. Senior from Cincinnati. Is it possible or is he firm in his plan for med school? Anyone know?

Senior Enrique Garcia will likely sign now that Miami's season is over.

Matt Fairel is a redshirt sophomore and will likely return to college but I wish they'd throw a little extra at him to get him to sign. He hits 94-95 and has the prototypical "pitcher's" body

Erik Gregersen is a junior and may elect to return to college based on his low draft position.

Ricky Bowen is a redshirt sophomore and will likely return to Mississippi State

Grant Hogue is also from Miss. St. a redshirt Junior. Chances are good he'll return to college too. A good speedy CFer, Hogue could help his status with a solid Senior year.

Noticed that someone who the Reds drafted in '07 did very well for himself by returning for another season at Penn State. Drew O'Neill was drafted in the 4th round by the ChiSox this year, and he has already signed.

...in contrast to what happened with Blake Stouffer.

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Noticed that someone who the Reds drafted in '07 did very well for himself by returning for another season at Penn State. Drew O'Neill was drafted in the 4th round by the ChiSox this year, and he has already signed.

...in contrast to what happened with Blake Stouffer.
    If you're drafted in the top 5 rounds you better think long and hard about passing up the money - too easy to get injured, have a poor season etc.

For some, like Stouffer, it was never about money until college was over. For some HS guys like Sowers, college is the immediate goal irregardless (although had the Reds been serious and not merely punting the pick they might have offered him enough to get him to sign). For most of the underclass guys in my post above, though, they probably have a decent chance of improving their draft rank and money by returning.

Fairel, for instance has great stuff but as a redshirt soph only has 1 year of play in college - his role will expand and so will his numbers in all likelihood and he's good enough to make a quantum leap draftwise. Was I his advisor, with his best interest at heart I'd sure as heck tell him to go to school 1 more year at least. Jackson Hogue is another guy. Speedy CFer with a good bat who redshirted at Miss. St after JC so they're going on his HS and JC numbers. A full year at college will almost certainly boost his draft rank.

I wonder if teams figure a percentage of these picks are just punts but what the heck maybe a kid is tired of college and will sign.

Thurman has now signed. Awesome news. He's been lights out as the closer for the Rochester summer team so far.

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmana...?a=348760&z=22

Honkers player signs with Cincinatti Reds
    6/23/2008 6:14:04 PM
    Comments (0)

By Donny Henn
    Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

The Rochester Honkers' loss will be the Cincinnati Reds' gain after star pitcher Mace Thurman announced Monday that he has reached an agreement with the Major League Baseball team.

Thurman, who was selected by Cincinnati in the 19th round of the First-Year Player Draft in the first week of June, told the Reds that he is ready to sign a contract and report to their minor league system.

Thurman, the Honkers' closer, will suit up for Rochester for the last time in Tuesday's day-night doubleheader against Waterloo at Mayo Field.

"Basically, the Reds made an offer I couldn't really turn down," said Thurman, who had been drafted twice before, but elected to stay in college.

The left-hander from Baylor University is enjoying a stellar season in his first summer with the Honkers in the Northwoods League and might merit being named to the North Division All-Star team.

Thurman has a 1-0 record and 0.82 ERA, and his five saves are second in the league. He has pitched 11 total innings in eight games and has 21 strikeouts against only three hits and one walk allowed.

"I hate to see Mace go, but I'm extremely excited for him," Honkers coach Jason Plourde said.

"I told Mace that he's one of my favorite guys that I've ever coached, and it's only been three weeks."

Thurman said that the Reds sweetened their original signing bonus offer to him -- suspected to be in the $100,000 range -- "a little bit."

"But it was really just the time and effort that they put into pursuing me that swayed me to sign," he said. "They've been in contact with me since the draft, and they really showed that they wanted me in their camp as soon as possible."

Thurman said he's uncertain where he will be placed in the Reds' minor league system.

He might start in Rookie League ball with the Gulf Coast League Reds in Sarasota, Fla., or he could be placed at the Class A level, with either the Sarasota Reds or the Dayton (Ohio) Dragons.

"Anywhere will be great," he said. "This has always been my dream since I was a kid, and just realizing that I'll get the chance is amazing."

Thurman said it was a tough decision because he enjoys school at Baylor. He will forego his senior year, but plans to return to school at some point and get his master's degree in education.

"I will have it put in my contract that the Reds will pay for the rest of my schooling, whenever it happens," he said. "Some day I want to be a history teacher and a high school coach.

"The biggest thing that I want to do is help get kids in the position that I'm in now."

As for the Honkers, Thurman said his short time here was memorable.

"It's the quickest that I've had such good chemistry on a team," he said. "It's disappointing to leave; you always wonder what could've happened.

"But you can't look back; you've gotta go for it."

Glad to see it. Once we get Alonso and Garcia signed, it will look like a really good signing record.

"Basically, the Reds made an offer I couldn't really turn down," said Thurman, who had been drafted twice before, but elected to stay in college.

How nice is it to hear that?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Mace is a tough lefty who uses his breaking pitches to set up a cut fastball, good signing

Turn Off Ads?