Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Reds Draft tracker thread

Re: 2008 Reds Draft tracker thread

The guys I'm most interested is seeing signed now is Yonder Alonso of course, followed by 16th rounder Daniel Morrison who is a big toolsy Canadian outfielder and maybe a guy like Juan Carlos Sulbaran, though he's probably a longshot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's fantastic. Assuming Alonso signs (which he is likely to do), the Reds will have signed their 1st 12 picks this year. When the hell is the last time that happened? I think it's probably been a while.

Here's a small blurb from yesterday in regards to 34th round pick from FSU, Matt Fairel.

Martin met with sophomore Matt Fairel while associate head coach Jamey Shouppe talked with junior Elih Villanueva on Tuesday. The two pitchers have decisions to make after being selected in the Major League Baseball draft.

"I'm pretty sure Matt will come back . . . meaning he'll come in as No. 1 pitcher again," Martin said of Fairel, the 34th round pick of the Cincinnati Reds. "I'd say it is 50-50 (for Villanueva). I don't have a feeling ether way. I think we'll know before the weekend is over.

Enrique Garcia could be signed now, too, that Miami is done.

From John Fay:

More draft picks have signed:

Name Position Round Club
    Shunick, Clayton RHP 5 Billings
    Means, Andrew CF 11 Billings
    Day, Kyle C 12 Billings
    Howell, Blaine LHP 13 GCL
    McMurray, Chris C 18 Billings
    Bowe IV, Theodis CF 21 GCL
    Wiley, Byron LF 22 Billings
    Coddington, Kevin C 44 GCL

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Blaine Howell is a lefty with good stuff. I'm glad to see him signed.

From BA:

Blaine Howell has dominated for Pensacola JC, but scouting departments aren't sure where to put his name on their boards. A lefthander pitching between 90-92 mph, Howell has made it known that he plans to go on his Mormon mission and won't be available for pro ball for at least two years. He is a true pro prospect, complementing his above-average fastball with an exceptional curveball, and could be a valuable lefty in a major league bullpen down the road.

44th rounder Coddington also had a scouting report:

At 6-foot-5 and 205 pounds, Kevin Coddington is huge for a catcher. Despite his size and leverage, he employs a short swing and contact approach and thus doesn't offer as much power as he might. A transfer from Chemekata (Ore.) CC, he's agile behind the plate and has a slightly above-average arm, though his throwing accuracy wavers.

small blurb on McMurray...

McMurray, the 539th pick of the draft, had a stellar junior campaign for the Gauchos in 2008. The Mission Viejo native finished the season with a .312 batting average, and was second on the team with eight home runs and a .545 slugging percentage. McMurray’s contribution didn’t end with the bat, as the junior fielded an impressive .990 in 310 chances behind the dish.

Article here - http://www.noozhawk.com/index.php/no...seven_gauchos/

More...from Mission Viejo dispatch

Today Mission Viejo native Chris McMurray was drafted into Major League Baseball by the Cincinnati Reds.

The 21-year old catcher played for Capo Valley High School before attending UC Santa Barbara. At Capo High he hit .385 as a senior. He was All-South Coast League where he was an All-Star, and was a North-South All-Star.

At 6′1″ and 195 lbs. McMurray was still 2nd on his college team in stolen bases with 7 in 10 attempts. His fielding percentage was .986 in 287 plays with just 4 errors, according to UCSBGauchos.com.

Chris majors in geography at college where he also enjoys playing hockey.

Last edited by Az. Reds Fan; 06-19-2008 at 02:19 PM.

I believe the list is up to date.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

28 picks signed so far. Sign Alonso and Morrison and call it a nice draft. Sulbaran would be awesome but I bet he goes to college.

Assuming Alonso signs, I'd love to see the Reds throw some serious money at Fairel, Pfisterer and Bandilla (or mabey 2 of the 3) to at least make them have to seriously consider signing. You can never have enough young pitching.

Assuming Alonso signs the Reds have signed 12 f the top 12, 30 of 50 and 23 of the top 27 so far. Realy nice to see

I hope they sign Morrison. I'd like to see them sign Garcia too. He doesn't have amazing stuff, but I think he could be effective and a good candidate to sign.

Anybody got anything on Thurman or Hunter? The two college guys unsigned in the top 30 outside the Miami kids. Both from good programs, good leagues. Seem like they'd be signees.

I've read a few tidbits about Thurman on the site of his summer team, the Rochester Honkers. He has 4 saves already on the summer for them. No real solid clues in any of the quotes about signing or not signing.

A little sidenote worth mentioning is Jake Oester (U of Toledo) plays for Rochester too. Maybe he's got a bug in Thurman's ear to sign with his Dad's former team.

http://www.rochesterhonkers.com/news/newsroom.php

Turn Off Ads?