Turn Off Ads?

Thread: exactly what is the purpose of Javier Valentin?

exactly what is the purpose of Javier Valentin?

He can't field. He's not a good pinch hitter. So really, what's the use?

I really can't wait to see when the Reds will finally just cut the trash. (I'm looking at you CP).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: exactly what is the purpose of Javier Valentin?

In the past few years he's been a very good pinch hitter. That's the only thing keeping him around right now. Andy Phillips is showing so far in his brief pinch hitting appearances that he has probably become our best pinch hitter.

not really.. last year, he hit .250/.302/.425 with 10 rbi in 40 ab's. in 2006 he hit .231/.273/.462 with 12 rbi in 52 ab's, this year .118/.158/.118 as a PH. He's had a few good ab's in the last 3 years that for some reason makes people believe he's a good pinch hitter, but he really isn't. 2007 and 2006 are really the only 2 recent years where he had a decent amount of AB's as a pinch hitter, and he was terrible.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I have defended him in the past but there really is no reason to have him anymore. He adds nothing to this club.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

He is probably always first in line at the postgame food spread.

I would put Weathers right there with him. They both were useful last year. But it looks like the tank is dry for both of them. Their age and skill sets seem to indicate they will not get better. IMO they should be shipped out and replaced with others who need a shot.

Our roster keeps filling up with guys who just shouldn't be at the major league level.

Javie (old, slow, useless)

Weathers (his days are numbered)

Patterson (something is wrong with him right now, maybe an extended stay in AAA will help)

Janish (he's there defensively but he's not a major league calibur hitter, at least not yet, especially batting 2nd)

Jolbert Cabrerea (I know he hasn't played yet, but look at his career stats, ughh)

Homer (I still don't think he's ready, his AAA stats back my opinion up. Will he ever be ready though?)

At least Janish and Homer are young and have potential, and Cabrera is only up because of injuries, but the other three need to go.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    Homer (I still don't think he's ready, his AAA stats back my opinion up. Will he ever be ready though?)
    I'm convinced he's injured. He's lost a lot of velocity in the last year. Coming up everyone said he had a mid 90's fastball and tonight he was topping out at 91, I maybe saw a 92 once. I'd have him checked out by a doctor and if everything is okay I'd send him to AAA so he can learn to get guys out with non-dominant stuff.

I don't know why he's considered such a great PH. He's had some clutch hits, yes. He's also grounded into a ton of double plays, struck out in key moments.

Because he's a short, slightly pudgy catcher who's body style kind of resembles a turtle... or maybe former Pirates catcher Mike LaValliere?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Think a Hector Villanueva-nuevo.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    I have defended him in the past but there really is no reason to have him anymore. He adds nothing to this club.
    I'm with you. I was thinking that last night when Chris Welsh talked about his pinch-hitting stats.

He was able to parlay a big home run season (for him) a couple of years ago into a lenghty contract. Last year, he hit okay when Mackanin gave him gave him a chance to play, but with all the turnover in the roster and the depth that this club is developing or is inured right now, I don't see where he fits in anymore.

I thank him for his service, but it's time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    I'm convinced he's injured. He's lost a lot of velocity in the last year. Coming up everyone said he had a mid 90's fastball and tonight he was topping out at 91, I maybe saw a 92 once. I'd have him checked out by a doctor and if everything is okay I'd send him to AAA so he can learn to get guys out with non-dominant stuff.
    Well, the pitch Pujols parked 440 ft. in center was 94, and the one Ankiel lasered in the next AB was 92. I don't know what's wrong with him, but he doesn't look good out there.

We really need a good catcher in here. Javy isn't that. When Paul Bako is beating you out for the LH hitting catcher's spot, you know something's wrong.

The purpose = translator??????
    Bowled my 8th 300 game 01/31/2011.

Nothing like bowling a 300 game

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioballplayer View Post
    The purpose = translator??????
    Bako is bilingual and can actually field a position.

Turn Off Ads?