Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where is Homer's Fastball?

Where is Homer's Fastball?

Seriously...does anyone have a clue why Homer is throwing his fastball 90MPH? In 2006, he was hitting 96-98MPH and cranking out strikeouts like a machine. Is this the same pitcher I just watched pitch a whole game at barely average velocity? I'm not giving up on him, but is Homer going backwards?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Where is Homer's Fastball?

Homer worked 88-93 today with his fastball. I dont think he is hurt, but I do wonder how much his 'shortening of the stride is responsible for a loss in velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Homer worked 88-93 today with his fastball. I dont think he is hurt, but I do wonder how much his 'shortening of the stride is responsible for a loss in velocity.
    I didn't see him hit 93. Not saying that you're lying, I'm sure he did or else you wouldn't say so, but the fact is even if he did, he's not doing it all that often. It's more in the 88-91 range with OCCASIONALY hitting 93, at least tonight anyways. I hope it's just shortening the stride and nothing physically.

Where is Homer's Fastball?
    High and away?

And it had no movement. And he couldn't locate it. If he had his stuff, what exactly is the difference between the Homer Bailey of today and the Homer Bailey who dominated the minors and was considered by some one of the best pitching prospects in baseball? And if didn't have his stuff, where did it go? What I saw out there today was a guy who would have trouble giving Matt Belisle a run for his money.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    High and away?
    Off the batters eye in CF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I didn't see him hit 93. Not saying that you're lying, I'm sure he did or else you wouldn't say so, but the fact is even if he did, he's not doing it all that often. It's more in the 88-91 range with OCCASIONALY hitting 93, at least tonight anyways. I hope it's just shortening the stride and nothing physically.
    Pitch f/x had him between 88-93 on the night.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Pitch f/x had him between 88-93 on the night.
    How many did pitch f/x have him for above 91?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And it had no movement. And he couldn't locate it. If he had his stuff, what exactly is the difference between the Homer Bailey of today and the Homer Bailey who dominated the minors and was considered by some one of the best pitching prospects in baseball? And if didn't have his stuff, where did it go? What I saw out there today was a guy who would have trouble giving Matt Belisle a run for his money.
    Couldn't agree more.

That's exactly what I was just telling a buddy. The loss of speed is disturbing, but the lack of movement is really killing him.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

kinda looking like Phil Hughes when he pitched earlier this year.

Homer can't throw his off speed pitches for strikes. The Cards were just waiting on fastballs and laying off of everything else.

no longer an A prospect

Homer has fallen far. a 91 mph straightball with weak offspeed stuff doesn't cut it in the bigs. time for a Maloney tryout.

Yeah, I was noticing the same thing. When I watched him pitch last year, he was regularly working in the 93-94 range with the fastball and occasionally dialing it up. The drop in velocity is a legitimate concern that needs evaluating immediately.

I will say, his changeup looked good, but the problem was, he rarely ever used it. He's still way too reliant on his fastball and not mixing in enough offspeed pitches.

He needs to be sent back down. He's still not ready.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Homer needs to be coached up, and he needs to listen and be coachable.

I'm not sure that the Reds have the coaching, and from what I have read, I am not sure Homer will listen. But there's nothing like getting your head kicked in, as Homer did tonight, to get your attention quickly!
    sorry we're boring

heading to the seats?
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

I think Thompson will be up here shortly.. Homer didnt look dominating.. his fastball was on a tee for the Cards to hit..

Turn Off Ads?