Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is booing ok?

When is booing ok?

There's an interesting thread going on over on the Sun Deck that I thought might be worth discussing here. My main question is, when is it ok for the home team to boo? Do any of you boo regularly if you attend and the team isn't up to par? I must admit, there have been very few occasions where I've derided the home team. Normally I sit in stunned silence, hardly saying a word. I think the only two occasions when I took out some frustation on the players were both double digit losses, one to the Tribe, the other to the Dodgers.

When is it ok to let the boys know their performance isn't acceptable? Would you have booed Homer tonight? Would you boo Corey Patterson's name just for coming to bat (which was the case during Bruce's debut, I thought that was way over the top).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: When is booing ok?

I think booing is appropriate when players take on selfish attitudes and continually do things that hamper the team. Corey Patterson doesn't look like he even cares what happens when he is at the plate. He is just swinging at whatever he sees and gets out as quickly as possible, leaving himself suspect to the occasional boo, and I don't have a problem with that. Managerial decisions deserve a boo every now and then. Griffey's 3-0 GIDP on Saturday deserved a boo IMO. Poor effort deserves a boo.

Booing a 22 year old is rarely ok, but it might be humbling to a cocky persona like Homer. I'm not saying booing him is right necessarily, but a little tough love might be what Homer needs.

I think booing is OK when you see lack of effort. Homer's outing nor Corey Patterson's play warrants booing but if a guy does not run out a play that he could have beaten with hustle then yes he deserves to be booed. If he's daydreaming and gets picked off first or if he loafs in to get a flyball and it drops in front of him...

Lack of effort. That's about all I'll boo for.

That, and the Cubs in general. There's always a reason to boo the Cubs.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Homer's outing nor Corey Patterson's play warrants booing
    If Corey Patterson's play doesn't warrant a boo then I'm not sure what does. And I'm someone who doesn't believe in booing the home team.

I wouldn't boo any of them, I would go to a baseball forum and talk about them behind their backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    If Corey Patterson's play doesn't warrant a boo then I'm not sure what does. And I'm someone who doesn't believe in booing the home team.
    Like EE, I think Corey Patterson is really trying and hates what he's doing to his team. If I thought he was dogging it, I'd boo him. Do you think he's doggin' it?

Like EE, I think Corey Patterson is really trying and hates what he's doing to his team. If I thought he was dogging it, I'd boo him. Do you think he's doggin' it?

Helping the team would be taking pitches and making quality at bats. I didn't see his at bat today, but in his last 5 at bats, he had seen 7 pitches. That is selfish, foolish hitting. Instead of trying to have a quality PA and possibly take a walk, he is desperately trying to get hot in order to save his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Helping the team would be taking pitches and making quality at bats. I didn't see his at bat today, but in his last 5 at bats, he had seen 7 pitches. That is selfish, foolish hitting. Instead of trying to have a quality PA and possibly take a walk, he is desperately trying to get hot in order to save his job.
    I don't think he knows any better. He's never been a selective hitter. I don't think that's in his skill set so I differentiate that from dogging it but I do share your frustration. I want him gone too...

I don't think he knows any better. He's never been a selective hitter. I don't think that's in his skill set so I differentiate that from dogging it but I do share your frustration. I want him gone too...
    The guy has seen a lot more baseball than I have. He has gotten a lot more coaching than I have. It's a lack of effort to commit to change. It's stubborness. It's very hard to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Lack of effort. That's about all I'll boo for.

That, and the Cubs in general. There's always a reason to boo the Cubs.

Lack of effort and some mental mistakes. Not having your head in the game or throwing to the wrong base drives me crazy on the major league level. Even then, it would have to be egregious for me to boo.

Booing the Cubs, well, it's just the right thing to do.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I can't remember the last time I booed a player. I'd probably do it if it was something like not hustling. If I have a rule about booing it is that I would never, ever boo a pitcher for pitching poorly. If he doesn't cover first or doesn't back up a base, then fine, but to boo for a poor pitching performance just defies reason to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    The guy has seen a lot more baseball than I have. He has gotten a lot more coaching than I have. It's a lack of effort to commit to change. It's stubborness. It's very hard to watch.
    And the catalyst for the change is? Dusty Baker? Ha!

I think at this point it is perfectly acceptable to boo Patterson, not only because of his horrible play, but because of what he represents.

I think it is ok to boo lack of "hustle" that results in an embarrassing error, especially when the team is losing. Boneheaded stupidity also counts. I was booing Brandon Phillips for his attempted double steal on Saturday. My brother in law said "he is just hustling". Adam Dunn then hit a home run. The game ended up tied at the end of regulation play.

Young players like Homer Bailey, Jay Bruce, and Johnny Cueto should never be booed. They know they are struggling, but they don't need to deal with it. Hal McCoy does a good enough job booing for all of us.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

It's ok to boo the second someone puts on a jersey that says Michigan, Duke, or North Carolina.

It's also acceptable to boo the officials / referees whenever they have botched a call.

I boo umpires ..... because it's my duty as a fan.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Turn Off Ads?