Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: What's Wrong

Re: What's Wrong

How about moving Phillips to SS, and then Keppinger to his more natural position of 2B?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How about moving Phillips to SS, and then Keppinger to his more natural position of 2B?
    Won't work, Phillips is a cleanup hitter, and SS have to bat second. And second basemen bat cleanup, and Keppinger is the number two hitter on this team, if not seventh.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I dig what you're saying, but weren't those Oakland clubs of the 80's and 90's built under Alderson/Jocketty? Those A's teams were always pretty good at restocking the shelves even before Beane took over (he had to learn somewhere, right?), and it really didn't seem like it was done with just veteran accquisitions.

I also don't think the Cards were any great shakes in '96 (?) when Jocketty took over. Unless my memory fails me (and it DOES), that Cardinal franchise was kinda bad for a few years prior to Jocketty's arrival (once again, the nineties are kind of a lost decade for me in the memory department if you catch my drift).

Point is, I really think Jocketty IS the guy, and the notion that he's not adept at rebuilding, or bringing a young group along might be a product of a different situation with a different salary structure and parameters. Simply put, I think he can adapt to pretty much any situation, and he's got an owner that's comfortable with him. I think it's gonna work.

.....But that manager and that pitching coach are huge problem.
    I hate to not respond with substantive data, but the '90s were a largely lost decade for me as well.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm a very open-minded person. Please show that factual support other then subjectiveness based solely on pitch count. :
    PAP points and rankings, numerous pitch counts over 110, numerous consecutive pitch counts over 100...

I'll do some more in-depth research Sunday-ish. Got a lot goin' on between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Anyone wanna convince me that Harang and Arroyo aren't feeling the lingering abuse from Jerry Narron?

I know it's easy to just blame Narron, but there's plenty of factual support for that claim.
    I think it is a convenient excuse, but one that is hard to prove.

I would think that, if Harang's struggles are directly linked to Narron's usage of him, then we would have seen struggles a little bit earlier than the end of May 2008.

Also, Arroyo has thrown 7 games with 2 ERs or less allowed this season. Maybe he isn't hurt or worn out. Maybe he is just flat out inconsistent.

If they both suddenly collapsed or went down with injuries at the end of last year or right at the beginning of this year, then maybe I would be on board. But I remember when many people were calling out Dusty last year when Zambrano was struggling, predicting his inevitable date with Drs. Jobe or Andrews. I think they were wrong as well.

Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but one of the biggest problems with this team is the awful atbats some of these guys have. I have never seen a team have so many awful atbats night in and night out like this team does. Griffey just had one of the absolute worst atbats I have seen. The Reds were down a run and had runners on the corners for Griffey. The pitcher hadn't come close to throwing a strike the first three pitches, so what does Griffey do?!? He swings at a 3-0 pitch and jams himself into a double play, possibly costing the Reds the game. This offense is just so painful to watch.

we stink!

Team stats:

Pitching ERA 4.50 (13th)
    Runs 314 (9th)
    Errors 54 (15th or next to last)

the offensive stats are likely at little generous due to playing half our games at GABP. A back of the envelope estimate by knocking 5% off the total due to our park would place us 11th/16.

doing the reverse for pitching places us 11th/16. ( this MAY be an underestimate due to the poor defense. earned runs that shouldn't have been is a tough stat to monitor. )

So our offense and pitching are both below league average and our fielding is terrible. we can quibble about the individual players but imo the biggest problem we have is so many players on the roster who have no business in a major league uniform. we have serious talent deficit.

Turn Off Ads?