Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    In MLB, veterans usually lose it all at once. Weathers has clearly lost what he can never get back. He's right there with Jr. It's time for them to move on to the next stages of their life!
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member durl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nashvull
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    He's got a better W/L record than our ace.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ashland, Ky
    Posts
    181

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    He's got a better W/L record than our ace.


    Volquez is 9-2. :

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    W-L records for relievers can me misleading.

    Bruce Sutter was 68-71
    Lee Smith was 71-92
    Jeff Reardon was 73-77
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    W-L records for relievers can me misleading.

    Bruce Sutter was 68-71
    Lee Smith was 71-92
    Jeff Reardon was 73-77
    3 guys in the History of the Game. Nice.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    No. They were the first 3 relievers I looked up. How many should I put up to prove W-L records can be misleading for relievers?

    Coco Cordero is 28-28 (2-1 this season)
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  8. #7
    Member tommycash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    442

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    3 guys in the History of the Game. Nice.
    Those 3 are 3 of the best relievers in the history of the game as well.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

    ---Mr. Baseball 1992

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    500

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Who would you replace Weathers with?

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    1,154

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Those 3 are 3 of the best relievers in the history of the game as well.
    And David Weathers ranks just above all three of them!

  11. #10
    Member durl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nashvull
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Quote Originally Posted by OldRed1966 View Post
    Volquez is 9-2. :
    I was referring (rather sarcastically, mind you) to Aaron Harang.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    45

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    I agree. It's time to thank Weathers for his effort and attitutde and send him on his way. He allows a run in almost every brief appearance. His tank appears to be empty. Let's bring up Herrara or one of the relievers who are doing well in the minors. We can't take much more of Weathers.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,064

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fon Duc Tow View Post
    Who would you replace Weathers with?
    Josh Roenicke

  14. #13
    Member PedroBourbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    georgetown, KY
    Posts
    465

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    I think Weathers has lost it, time to go. Reminds me of Danny Graves' collapse.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

    "I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,006

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    I agree his time has come, I didn't really like him last year either even though he did rack up some decent save #'s. Played with fire too much. Minimal stuff.

  16. #15
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    7,703

    Re: Why wait on Weathers. Cut him now!

    I've been wanting Weathers gone since the middle of last year. His stuff is mediocre at best. He DOES have a knack for escaping from jams, but unfortunately those jams are usually of his own making. Everytime I see him come in I picture someone throwing gasoline on a campfire. BOOM! I'm not going to make comparisons, I'm just going to say that David simply doesn't fit into our team's long-term plans.

    Are we out of it this year...technically no, realistically...most likely. This should be the year we get the young kids aclamated to the bigs. So, who's going to fill Weathers' shoes? Take your pick. Bray, Burton, Affeldt, Majewski (who's throwing better this year than he has in a long time), Roenicke, Herrera, and numerous other young arms in the minors. Not to mention the fact that we could go with fewer pitchers and more position players. 3 catchers...STILL?

    After these injured players come back, who stays and who goes? I say we lose a pitcher and keep the position player. 12 should be the MAXIMUM number of pitchers we ever carry. We can easily survive with 11 IMO. 13 pitchers with 3 catchers is simply dumb player management.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25