Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    An ORG thread "Where is Homer's velocity?" got me to thinking.

    The Reds have managed to take a guy who could routinely throw 95-96 mph and turn him into a 86-90 mph guy.

    I almost throw up in my mouth everytime I hear Welsh talk about the Reds trying to shorten up Bailey's stride. Why would they?

    Velocity is about momentum. MLB coaches are so big right now on slowing guys down and balance points. Why slow a guy down and make him pause at a balance point? That kills all momentum and puts undue strain on the arm.

    All the Reds had to do with Bailey was make him a little quicker to the plate from the stretch. Instead they've tried a complete overhaul and may have ruined a once promising pitcher.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member durl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nashvull
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    The pitching staff doesn't seem to have a problem with Volquez hitting the low 90s. What's your take on why they are limiting Bailey but not others?

  4. #3
    Member Maldez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    352

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    I'm not sure what the hell has happened to Homer, but it's very discouraging. He looks like a AA pitcher out there. A fastball that's not fast, and a big looping curve that seems to hang just where you don't want it to hang (unless you're a hitter trying to drive the ball 500 feet).

    Homer looked bad last night. Real bad.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The pitching staff doesn't seem to have a problem with Volquez hitting the low 90s. What's your take on why they are limiting Bailey but not others?
    Volquez was already a finished product (other than tweaking his change) when they got him. Give them time. They may ruin them all.

    Since Homer is tall, they think he should throw like Harang. He is not that type of pitcher.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    539

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Your right, who needs coaches?

    Your crazy for commenting on such a subject when all you have based it on is watching games via TV.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    Your right, who needs coaches?

    Your crazy for commenting on such a subject when all you have based it on is watching games via TV.
    I said overcoached. I never said players don't need coaches, but I will say players don't need bad coaches.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    He doesn't look like a AAAA Pitcher, he had 2 outs in the Bottom of the 3rd or whatever... and all hell broke Loose... Didn't they misplay a Ball to keep that Inning alive as well?

    Homer looked great the first 3 innings... Got in a Jam and didn't get out of it...

    Listen, Keep Homer out there, atleast there is some Life with the guy... He could make major strides this year... Helk, we are 10 games back, and I would rather go with Homer than run Fogg or Belisle back out there as Starters...

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Centerville,OH
    Posts
    680

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    He seems overcoached, but give him another chance. He looked like he was aiming the ball rather than throwing the ball when he started to get into trouble in the 3rd. It could be that he would benefit from a change in organizations.

  10. #9
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    I noticed his delivery seems really off than it used too.His mechanics are all funky now.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    434

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    I'm all for keeping him up with the big club since the Reds are done this year. I just hope he can get things back together.
    80% of the earth is covered by water. The other 20% is covered by Eric Davis.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    132

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Let him pitch how he used to, and use him in relief.

    Perhaps Bailey can become our own in-house closer, allowing us to trade Coco for something.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    I'm all for keeping him up with the big club since the Reds are done this year. I just hope he can get things back together.
    We're 4 under, and its mid-June ... this season is not over ...

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Blue Ash
    Posts
    2,616

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Yeah he's overcoached by the same coaches who cut the time in half that Cueto, Darryl Thompson, and Volquez needed to get to the majors.
    Who's on first?

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    190

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Yeah he's overcoached by the same coaches who cut the time in half that Cueto, Darryl Thompson, and Volquez needed to get to the majors.
    How's your boy Maloney doing? Thompson? Either of them "deserve" to be up here?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    410

    Re: Homer Bailey is overcoached!

    Bailey's not overcoached, just overratted.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25