Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers might Trade Kemp for a slugger (Dunn mentioned)

Dodgers might Trade Kemp for a slugger (Dunn mentioned)

Per Rosenthal:at mlb trade rumours.com

"Rosenthal believes the Dodgers would consider trading a young player (especially Matt Kemp) for a slugger. He discusses what it would take to get Jason Bay, Magglio Ordonez, Adam Dunn, or Matt Holliday. This all seems like a bad idea for the Dodgers. "

If the Reds can trade Dunn for Kemp I would be all for that!!!..

Kemp and Bruce is a great building start for outfield defense!! for the future..

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dodgers might Trade Kemp for a slugger (Dunn mentioned)

I'd do it without a second thought. But why would the Dodgers?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'd do it without a second thought. But why would the Dodgers?
    Ned Colletti hearts veterans

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Ned Colletti hearts veterans
    But Dunn isn't terrible. :

This would be an ideal scenario for the Reds. Do it NOW!!!
    Go BLUE!!!

I can't decide whether I prefer Kemp or Andre Ethier. Either one would be a good return for Dunn.

Do this. Do this now. Throw in David Weathers. Heck, I'd include Bailey if they'd throw back a low minors arm. Kemp fits both our need for a true CF and a RH bat.

Eithier strikes me as Matt Murton with maybe a touch more power. Kemp is Grady Sizemore Lite.

That said, I trust Ken Rosenthal rumors about as much as John Kruk analysis. The guy is certainly well connected, but a little too anxious to be the first one on any scoop, throwing just about everything against the wall.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

After reading the actual article, Rosenthal states clearly that a two or three month rental of Dunn would not be enough to net Kemp. This is a problem I have with just including brief summaries like mlbtraderumors so often does.

I would offer Dunn, Bailey and Stubbs for Kemp, Hu, and LaRoche. That trade makes a lot more sense for both sides, especially because the Dodgers will probably re-sign Furcal.

Then, you're looking at a future lineup of:

SS Keppinger/Hu
    LF Votto
    RF Bruce
    CF Kemp
    1B Alonso
    2B Phillips
    3B Encarnacion/LaRoche
    C Whoever

That's pretty impressive. And you have a lot of extra money to start looking at long term contracts down the line for this year's rookies.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-11-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Do this. Do this now. Throw in David Weathers. Heck, I'd include Bailey if they'd throw back a low minors arm. Kemp fits both our need for a true CF and a RH bat.

Eithier strikes me as Matt Murton with maybe a touch more power. Kemp is Grady Sizemore Lite.

That said, I trust Ken Rosenthal rumors about as much as John Kruk analysis. The guy is certainly well connected, but a little too anxious to be the first one on any scoop, throwing just about everything against the wall.
    Kemp is Grady Sizemore without a batting eye. Granted, his upside is higher than Ethier's, but so is his potential for failure.

Regardless, I don't think the Dodgers give up Kemp unless Dunn agrees to a long-term deal.

No thanks.

Adam Dunn controls his fate about when/if he was traded. That was part and partial of getting his last long term contract done.

Now, why would Adam want to go to LA?
    If he stays here he can continue to play with young Bruce and Oldster Junior and watch Volquez pitch every fifth day. Why move to LA? It's not like their post season chances are any better than the reds. They are a grand total of 1 game ahead of the reds in the wild card race. It's not like the press in cincy can be any worse to him.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Adam Dunn controls his fate about when/if he was traded. That was part and partial of getting his last long term contract done.

The easy answer would be, they're offering him a contract extension as an incentive to waive his no trade clause at whatever money/years he's hoping to get as a free agent.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Please make it happen Walt. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Please make it happen Walt. Please.
    even the Dodgers aren't that stupid. Dunn would be nothing more than a minor piece in acquiring him.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    LA would probably break the bank to extend him. Give him a lot of money and years.

Longterm, if LA ever stops flushing money down the toilet, they will be competitive again. Eventually they will stop wasting money on Andruw Jones, Pierre, etc.

Here's the trade with a twist. Would you do Dunn for Kemp + one of LA's albotoss OFers (like Jones or Pierre?).. Maybe LA kicks in some money.
    I would consider it. For example, if the Reds plan to let Jr and Dunn go, they could suffer through a year of Andruw Jones in RF if it meant getting Kemp in another OF slot.. It might be preferable to take on an albotross than to give up additional prospects to get Kemp..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?