Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce is our new leadoff hitter(for now)

Bruce is our new leadoff hitter(for now)

Baker turns to Bruce to fill leadoff role
    Cincinnati (31-35) vs. St. Louis (39-27), Wednesday, 7:10 p.m. ET
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds manager Dusty Baker freely admitted that rookie Jay Bruce wasn't his first choice to serve as his leadoff hitter on Tuesday vs. the Cardinals.

Then again, there were no other options.

"By the process of elimination," Baker said.

The Reds' previous leadoff hitter, Jerry Hairston, will be out at least two weeks with a fractured left thumb. Another leadoff guy, Ryan Freel, suffered a partial tear of his right hamstring last week. And Corey Patterson has struggled from the leadoff spot all season, and there's no room for him in the outfield with Bruce, Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr.

"Leadoff men are the hardest guys to find in sports -- baseball at least," Baker said. "Jerry was doing a hell of a job."

Bruce went 1-for-4 with a single in the No. 1 spot during the Reds' 7-2 loss vs. the Cardinals on Tuesday. He's a good bet to be there again on Wednesday.

"It's day-by-day until I get guys back," Baker said. "I talked to him about my experience with batting leadoff. Just hit the same. I know he's not your prototypical leadoff hitter, but neither is Hanley Ramirez, Bobby Bonds, Alfonso Soriano and the young man in Arizona, Chris Young."

Since he joined the Reds on May 27, Bruce is batting .390 with three home runs and 11 RBIs in 15 games
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Bruce is our new leadoff hitter(for now)

Barry Bonds lead off the first two years of his career as well. The trick now is getting Dusty to realize that Paul Janish is not his #2 guy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Janish batting second is the worst of many decisions Dusty has made with his lineup. OK, other than Corey Patterson batting leadoff.

"Hey, let's make the worst hitter on our roster the No. 2 hitter! My toofpick told me it was the right move."

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

"Leadoff men are the hardest guys to find in sports -- baseball at least," Baker said.
    There easy to find if you are a Reds fan. <insert Baker leadoff hitter either in CF or SS here cliche here>

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Janish batting second is the worst of many decisions Dusty has made with his lineup. OK, other than Corey Patterson batting leadoff.

"Hey, let's make the worst hitter on our roster the No. 2 hitter! My toofpick told me it was the right move."
    Corey Patterson batting leadoff sends greetings.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

The Enquirer had a slightly different version.

LEADING OFF: With Hairston on the DL, Baker went with Jay Bruce in the leadoff position "through process of elimination."

"I just talked to him about my experience with batting leadoff, and just hit the same," Baker said. "I know he's not your prototypical leadoff hitter, but neither is Hanley Ramirez, Bobby Bonds, Alfonso Soriano ... Chris Young."

The Reds were 10-6 with Hairston batting leadoff.

"Boy, Jerry was doing a hell of a job," Baker said. "I'm going to have to get Corey (Patterson) in there sometime because he's starting to swing the bat good again. Made some adjustments. We'll see."

Bruce went 1-for-4.
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/806110327/

The one thing that Dusty should do, especially against RHPs is put Bruce and Dunn together. Having them 1 and 5 gives a pitcher plenty of time to pitch to some low risk hitters and get out of an inning.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Guy slugging over .600? Bat him leadoff, that will get the best use out of him.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

"I'm going to have to get Corey (Patterson) in there sometime because he's starting to swing the bat good again. Made some adjustments. We'll see."

No. He's not. Really.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    best hitter gets the most ABs, hard to argue against it. I remember a BP article awhile back about lineups and Bonds and the Giants runs scored were maximized when Bonds hit leadoff(athough it may have been because of the OBP).

I would not mind Bruce hitting leadoff and Dunn 2nd.

Batting Bruce 1st and Janish 2nd is just stupid.

BTW, Dusty can't help himself with Corey, too bad Walt just doesn't remove the temptation.

The problem that the Reds just can't get away from is that none of their RHBs are very good against RHPs

Phillips OPS of 680
    EE OPS of 775
    Kepp OPS of 665

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Certainly better than burying him in the 6th or 7th hole like he's done to Votto.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Certainly better than burying him in the 6th or 7th hole like he's done to Votto.
    Which makes no sense still. Between Votto and Bruce, Votto makes a better option to leadoff than Bruce does. Dusty Baker is an idiot. Lets get Patterson back in the lineup. Lets bat one of our best power hitters leadoff. Lets bat one of our best hitters, if not the best hitter on the team currently 7th. I wish the stupidity would stop in this organization.

Dusty makes no sense. It's beyond confusing how he can create these ridiculous lineups and nobody close to him or the team says anything. what the crap.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500 View Post
    Dusty makes no sense. It's beyond confusing how he can create these ridiculous lineups and nobody close to him or the team says anything. what the crap.
    it's the traditional lineup ... fastest runner hits leadoff and a empty BA slap hitter in the #2 hole. Dusty is completely comfortable.

Turn Off Ads?