Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds hire Jerry Walker

Reds hire Jerry Walker

NEW HIRE: The Reds will announce the hiring of Jerry Walker soon. Walker was vice president of player personnel under Walt Jocketty in St. Louis. He was basically Jocketty's right-hand man and has a background in scouting.

"He was the first guy I hired in St. Louis," Jocketty said. "He'll come in and evaluate our front office."

Walker retired after Jocketty was fired in St. Louis.

"He wasn't interested in coming back at first," Jocketty said. "I talked to him recently and he's ready."
    http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...391/1078/COL02

Any thoughts on this guy? Good move or bad move?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Re: Reds hire Jerry Walker

EXCELLENT!!! Great first step forward. Now the challenge of making the necessary changes. Good luck.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Reds will turn into Cardinals east with Jocketty. That is not a bad thing at all,IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

No complaints here!

More of Jocketty's guys is a good thing, IMO.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-12-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Reds will turn into Cardinals east with Jocketty. That is not a bad thing at all,IMO.
    And just think it will only be the 3rd time they've done that in the past 72 years.

A step in the right direction. Now it's time to change the coaching staff
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    And just think it will only be the 3rd time they've done that in the past 72 years.
    I know Howsam came from the Cards. Who was the other?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I know Howsam came from the Cards. Who was the other?
    Giles, was the GM of the Cards Rochester franchise, he was brought in to build a Cardinal style farm system.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Anything the builds us a competitive franchise going forward sounds good to me
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Salvador Dali

The Reds have a rarely mentioned family secret. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, but it’s also not the cloth from which local baseball legends are cut from. Simply put, without the St.Louis Cardinals influence, the Reds might never have gotten their act together during the Depression. They might never have rebuilt their struggling franchise, had the first night game, Won NL championships in 1939 and 1940, nor sculpt Crosley into the legendary park most remember it to have been. Without the Cardinals, the Big Red Machine doesn’t happen the way it did. Without the Cardinals the Reds could have vacated Cincinnati during the Depression.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42397

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    EXCELLENT!!! Great first step forward. Now the challenge of making the necessary changes. Good luck.
    Any insight you can provide regarding Jerry's particular talents would be appreciated, TC. I understand he was WJ's right hand man in St. Louis, but I'm not clear on what value he added.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Any insight you can provide regarding Jerry's particular talents would be appreciated, TC. I understand he was WJ's right hand man in St. Louis, but I'm not clear on what value he added.
    I know OF him but do not not know him. Doubt I ever met him either. Just a good move in my opinion. Hope the follow up is equally as great.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    This is what I'm looking for too. This seems like a good move on the suface because, clearly, there was a track record of success in St. Louis under Jocketty. I'm just curious if anyone has insight into Walker's specific strengths and weaknesses.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The following item appeared in The Sporting News around the time that the Reds hired Jocketty to an advisory role:

St. Louis lost a front-office resource when Jerry Walker decided to retire to his home in Oklahoma. Walker spent 51 years in the game as a player, coach, executive and talent evaluator. Walker could be lured out of retirement if -- or when -- former Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty gets another front-office job.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Fact:

Jerry Walker was a teammate of Joe Nuxhall on the 1961 KC A's

Turn Off Ads?